this is kinda an odd question

How exactly do you stand/sit/lay on/drive this?

I think it just pulls you along while you're wearing your inline skates. Safer than grabbing hold of a passing vehicle. :D

potatonet said:
a bit more expensive than grabbing a nearby vehicle too

That's the point I am not sure about... One big ass electric bike to haul a few folks or separate systems, one for each boarder... The pic is a China knockoff of the eSkate, intended for bladers... Really I wouldn't suggest a separate "vehicle" but a motor+batt pack that clamps to the mountain board. (Push or pull, not sure which.) Advantages include that each system need only be sized for the biggest boarder weight (smaller, more available, cheaper(?) components).
Plus, there will be races *up* the hill (hehe)
tks

High power drives

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7180

You will want a two stage drive for that low speed torque.

just send Matt (recumbence) an email or PM. The thread is just details and such about them. Here is a two stage with a 3210 mounted up

Attachments

• etranny2.jpg
    etranny2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,817
He does have them available, PM him for pricing an guidance on what you need. He has motors and controllers too.

did and did, and that would probably work

its 400 for the machining, 800 for the 5kw motor and 400 for the controller

so 1600 alltogether

I need the specs of this thing and he hasnt replied to my emails.

Im thinking of going with a 5305 or 5304 now that Im not getting any response.

I may even go with a ezee motor and just juice the heck out of it. it already has a 5:1 gear reduction system and would make a 10:1 system which is similar to the double reduction that this guy proposed.

What kind of specs you need? Matt is on and off this board depending on his day, he works appliance repair and sometimes has really long work days.

I need dimensions of the unit so I can figure out the fitting of my big dummy.

I have a mock up frame from my friend who already has 2

potatonet said:
Im thinking of going with a 5305 or 5304 now that Im not getting any response.

Of those two, the 5305 is definitely a better match to your speed and torque requirements. If you can get a 5306 version, that might be even better (on 72V or higher). In either case, you'll probably be better off with a 20" wheel than with something bigger in diameter.

Chalo

I should have a BMC V2 "torque" kit on my bike by Friday. I"m local and would be happy to join you on an outing and see how it handles. That road looks like fun. I'll actually be with bike in Cazedero the 31st through the 3rd...

Aaronski

if I had this thing built I would have you join us, I was going to go with a BMC V2 torque but Im not sure that it can handle the power, I know its got some impressive specs but the gears MUST be metal for this app.

I remember emailing regarding this. But, I do not remember getting any emails I did not return.

Hmm, sorry about that.

The 3220 motor is 5 inches long with the shaft. That is perfect because the entire two stage drive is also 5 inches wide.

The two stage drive layed out in a flat configuration is 11 inches long. Folded up as posted in that picture it is 8 inches long.

3220s are about 3 weeks to get from Astro. That is fine because that is roughly my wait time for setting up the drive.

I would go with a 3220 six turn motor. That with a 12 to 1 ratio reduction and another 3 to 1 from drive to wheel should do perfectly for you. You would have absolutely STUPID power with very little heat and quite good efficiency (good for what you are doing). With that power and low gearing, you could actually break the spokes. It would be a towing MACHINE!

I am setting up throttles soon too and I have controllers as well.

There are other good options as well. But, for great power per pound, RC stuff rules. :D

Matt

thats 5kw on 12:1 then a 3:1 on top of that?

so a total of 15:1 reduction on a 5 kw motor?

that would pull a tank...

what voltage was that again 48?

I just have to get batteries to match now

36 to 1????

wait its 12 *3? oh shit.... so the motor is 800 then the mount and stuff is 4.., then the controller is another 4.., what is the max RPM on that motor? 6-10k so 8k average

I need to figure out what the max speed I will be able to achieve is.

48-36-26 is the crank
11-34 is the cassette

so at highest speed I will have a gearing of 1:4.36

to achieve 35 I need 8.555 wheel rotations per second. which is 1.96 (call it 2) at the crank

8000/36:1 ratio = 222 rotations per minute/60 = 40 rps at the output gear on the crank? whoa... thats gotta be wrong... so call it 2k rpms so thats... 10 at the crank which is about 39 mph...

hell yes!

I have a feeling this setup will give me a little more flexibility in the way I ride... I think I will stick with this, expect to have an order soon, just got to get the surly big dummy (in a few weeks)

I need a throttle too...

Now, one thing to consider;

If you are running this much power, the stock right side drive (chain and chainrings) will not handle the power for long. Typically a left side drive would be used for high power applications.

The best way to do this is to use a disc brake rear hub with a sprocket bolted to the flange. I am making adaptors for that very soon as is John Holmes.

Anyway, I just built a two stage drive for another customer today (Hi Phil :wink: ). I will get a pics of each side for you.

Matt

really? a left side solid drive?

I cant drive the left side of the crank set that has a freewheel on it allowing me to pedal/ not pedal and will still drive the rear wheel?

thats what I was going to do... =-/

For this much power, you will need to drive the left side of the rear wheel, not the crank. You will have two chains, one for pedalling on the right side, one for the motor drive on the left side of the wheel. That way, your pedal drive will not be affected by the motor. The pedals will still freewheel when the motor is running. My drive unit has a freewheel threaded adaptor on the output shaft. So, when you pedal without the motor running, the drive unit freewheel will coast without any motor drag.

Matt

Back