• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Throttle wiring issue Clyte and BMC

steveCA

10 mW
I worked this weekend on my two ebikes... no joy on either so far.

Son's bike..
On an attempted matching of a 48v 25amp Clyte controller to a BMC
motor and throttle. Got it all wired up except the throttle. The
problem there is weird wire colors, no logical way to match them up.

Throttle side: Red, White, Black and Purple
Controller side: Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow

Anyone know what goes to what? (Hey Knoxie, I believe you've wired these up before... any ideas?

My bike..
On the replacement of a 48v 35amp controller... bike quite during my commute last week. Dead circuit, no obvious cause, after an inspection of wiring, etc. (I am replacing the controller on the advice of the guy who sold me the Clyte Cruiser kit. He told me that 95% of the time, it is the Clyte controller that fails, rather than the Clyte motor. )

I purchased a 4840 controller, for a little more juice off the line,
and hill climbing speed. Doing the replacement was quick and easy.
But now a new problem, the power circuit dies under the slightest
load. With the bike suspended, the system works great, wheel spins
right up to top speed. However, from a stopped position, if I reach
down and lightly clamp the brake caliper at the rear wheel, and give
it throttle, the circuit dies immediately. If I unplug the battery,
the system resets, and the circuit is live again. Very difficult to
diagnose. The battery is fully charged to 58.8v... So, now, I'm
not at all sure where the problem is. Guess I'll start with the
basics. I'm going to string together 4 12v SLAs I having sitting
around, and thereby eliminate the battery BMS as the problem (battery is a 48v 20ah lipoly from Doug. I'm doing this today... let you know.

Steve

Hi

From the controller, the red wire is +5v and the yellow wire is ov, the wiper is the green wire, so it should go red to red yellow to black and white to green, make sure you test it with the wheel off the floor and twist the throttle a couple of times first, dont put the wheel down if it doesnt work before you disconnect it, I have had them suddenly jump to full speed :shock: so always test it off the ground.

Its a rear motor so the hall effect cables are matched colour to colour and the phases are as follows,

controller green - motor yellow
controller blue - motor green
controller yellow - motor blue

Keep your volts down to 48V or less if you can for now as the xlyte controllers dont seem to like high voltages.

If the motor spins but doesnt go forward just flip the reversal key switch.

Knoxie

Thanks, Paul! just what I was looking for... going out to try it right now. I always suspend my ebikes off the floor till I feel like I have the wiring right.

Thanks again,
SteveCA

Knoxie... After following your instructions, I can tell you that they were quite valid. Bike throttle totally resonsive!

Thanks again, Steve :D

Hi Steve

You are most welcome I am so glad at least someone values my input! nice to hear from you again and good luck with the bike.

Knoxie

Back