TONARO Pedelec Kits

The .."Bigith Five" ..
BF2.jpg

Thanks HH, missed the French Connection :D

Definitely a better spec than the standard bikes for sure. Pretty much equal to an Optibike actually or at least close and at $6000usd, about half as much. But still alot of funchips.

This is what is really interesting because it leads one to believe that by "unbridaling" a Tonaro you unleash a beast!

• 200 W brushless motor bracket has Hall effect (torque on the output shaft of the crank 120 N / M)
• Accelerator thumb connected to the PAS
• Speed ​​25 km / h (48 mph in unbridled version)
• Lithium Polymer Battery Pack 36V 16 A / H (48V 16 A / H unapproved version optional)

mabman said:
Hey Matthijs, where is that FS bike from? It is alot different than the stock Tonaro models. It has a name on the down tube but I can't make it out. It also looks like it has a front derailleur so if it does it has to be the Axle drive. And those videos give a much better explanation of how the Axle Drive works, thanks for that.

We'll get to the bottom of this yet Hillhater!

Hi, I got that info from here: http://www.eastsunworld.com

That site was also posted by the ts. Would it be possible to run a higher power motor through these kind of bottom bracket kits? Or will there never be a high power bottom bracket system. I guess it is pretty hard to engineer a good piece of kit.

Matthijs said:
That site was also posted by the ts. Would it be possible to run a higher power motor through these kind of bottom bracket kits? Or will there never be a high power bottom bracket system. I guess it is pretty hard to engineer a good piece of kit.

Engineering is not the problem, ..it the legal restrictions in most countries that limit Ebike power to 200 -25- or 750 W maximum.
Whilst those laws exist, there is very little market to attract manufacturers to develop any high powered systems

PS ..its obvious that this Tonaro unit can handle a fair bit more power if that "Bigith Five" can run up to 48 mph ( 80 km/hr) using 48v and a bigger controller than standard.

Judging this video it' s a very quiet piece of kit. But it' s hard to say how well this video catches the sounds well.

[youtube]14-GOP2TuDk[/youtube]
[youtube]XejhQ05fSyQ[/youtube]

Hillhater said:
mabman said:
What I am seeing is that it drives the bb spindle......

Yes, the ones fitted to dedicated Ebikes appear to drive the spindle direct ( ref ..diagram above)
.. but the pedalec "add on" unit shown in the video .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31YTrAprx4 .. clearly shows a short chain drive from the gearbox to the BBracket chainring.
both systems have their pro's and cons' depending on your needs.
But i still dont know if the "dedicated" spindle drive unit is available retail though ?

What are the pro's and con's comparing the 2 systems? Would a frame modification to fit the dedicated bb system outweigh the add-on version with the chain drive?

Matthijs said:
Hillhater said:
mabman said:
What I am seeing is that it drives the bb spindle......

Yes, the ones fitted to dedicated Ebikes appear to drive the spindle direct ( ref ..diagram above)
.. but the pedalec "add on" unit shown in the video .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31YTrAprx4 .. clearly shows a short chain drive from the gearbox to the BBracket chainring.
both systems have their pro's and cons' depending on your needs.
But i still dont know if the "dedicated" spindle drive unit is available retail though ?

What are the pro's and con's comparing the 2 systems? Would a frame modification to fit the dedicated bb system outweigh the add-on version with the chain drive?

Well , obviously the Pedalec " add on" system is much easier to install on a range of existing bikes, but i suspect its extra chain and sprockets would add some more noise and maintenance issues
The extra chain will also reduce the efficiency too.

This is Randall with R Martin. We have been using the bracket mounted motor system for several years. Bikes like our R10 have a custom made frame that the drive system bolts onto. There is no "traditional" bottom bracket. The system consists of the brushless motor, a gear box, and a freewheel at the crank so that the pedals do not have have to move when using the throttle.

This design allows you to use your bikes gears like a transmission. It provides excellent hill climbing when you shift to a lower gear. You have to shift to higher gears to go faster. Top speed is about 20 mph.

We have been waiting for a kit version for more than a year. We were shown the latest prototype in October. Unfortunately, they are still not ready. We may have a sample included in our next order of bikes that will arrive in about six weeks.

If you are really good with building bikes, you can purchase the drive system from us. It would be a bit of a trick to mount it on a standard bike frame.

We stock all the parts including the motor, gearbox, freewheel crank and controller.

rms401 said:
This is Randall with R Martin. We have been using the bracket mounted motor system for several years. Bikes like our R10 have a custom made frame that the drive system bolts onto.....

...We have been waiting for a kit version for more than a year. We were shown the latest prototype in October. Unfortunately, they are still not ready. We may have a sample included in our next order of bikes that will arrive in about six weeks....

....you can purchase the drive system from us. ...

....We stock all the parts including the motor, gearbox, freewheel crank and controller.

Hi Randall. Thanks for the info, but i am a little confused buy those statements ..would you clarify ?
The "Kit" you are waiting for is the "add on" unit that drives the existing bottom bracket via a short chain ?
You currently stock the drive unit with the "integrated " bottom bracket ?

Various articles refer to a 200w, a 350W , and even a 750W power rating. .. what is your understanding of power rating for these motors ?

Hillhater said:
rms401 said:
This is Randall with R Martin. We have been using the bracket mounted motor system for several years. Bikes like our R10 have a custom made frame that the drive system bolts onto.....

...We have been waiting for a kit version for more than a year. We were shown the latest prototype in October. Unfortunately, they are still not ready. We may have a sample included in our next order of bikes that will arrive in about six weeks....

....you can purchase the drive system from us. ...

....We stock all the parts including the motor, gearbox, freewheel crank and controller.

Hi Randall. Thanks for the info, but i am a little confused buy those statements ..would you clarify ?
The "Kit" you are waiting for is the "add on" unit that drives the existing bottom bracket via a short chain ?
You currently stock the drive unit with the "integrated " bottom bracket ?

Various articles refer to a 200w, a 350W , and even a 750W power rating. .. what is your understanding of power rating for these motors ?

I think that Randall is referring to is the kit here: http://www.eastsunworld.com/es-pedelec-kits where he is waiting for and maybe gets a sample from in about 6 weeks. So the kit that drives the existing bottom bracket via a short chain.

He seems to sell the version where you need a custom frame to mount it or do frame surgery (Picture below). :D

This is some interesting information on their website:
Motor
High Torque 600
watt peak
bracket
mount motor- 200
watt continuous

I wonder how much power and torque the gearbox can take. It would be nice to have around 1.5 to 2 Kw peak power directly at the crank.

Attachments

• BB system.JPG
    BB system.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 3,929
Hmmph,
tried to order the 240W version, but they don't deliver to germany. I don't dare to call them, it was dificult enough to stumble through their french_only menus. :roll:
Anyone located in france, who wants to order for me and send it to germany?
-Olaf
<edit> Compared the data with the original chinese tonaro site: the french bikes are almost 10kg lighter ( I bet they are NOT )

>edit2> DOOOH, on the tonaro site, they list a number of dealers, including one in germany :oops:

olaf-lampe said:
Hmmph,
tried to order the 240W version, but they don't deliver to germany. I don't dare to call them, it was dificult enough to stumble through their french_only menus. :roll:
Anyone located in france, who wants to order for me and send it to germany?
-Olaf
<edit> Compared the data with the original chinese tonaro site: the french bikes are almost 10kg lighter ( I bet they are NOT )

>edit2> DOOOH, on the tonaro site, they list a number of dealers, including one in germany :oops:

The bike or just parts can be purchased from a Canadian firm called iGO. The german firm is called Rolekto?? I plan on purchasing the 240 watt version next spring from iGO, company is only an hour across the border, they stock parts and service what they sell.
http://www.rolektro.de/

http://www.igoelectric.com/

http://www.tonaro.cn/products.html
whiteurban.jpg

Back