• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Tonaro User group

If anyone has upgraded their stock controller
I am interested in purchasing (American ? 32kmh / 34kmh) one
I have standard UK 25kmh, 15mph controller on my bike
acho

Attachments

• My Controller 2.JPG
    My Controller 2.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 4,900
I have just ordered one of these,maybe it might be of interest to someone.

http://www.aseakoelectricbike.com.au/products-page/spare-parts/500w-upgrade-kit/
Cheers,
Tony.

tonyontopofabighill said:
I have just ordered one of these,maybe it might be of interest to someone.

http://www.aseakoelectricbike.com.au/products-page/spare-parts/500w-upgrade-kit/
Cheers,
Tony.
Excellent price in my opinion. I just saw one listed for 1200 bucks--US currency. The good news is Tonaro (iGO bikes) is coming out with a new 48 version in just a few months. My Tonaro is almost 3 years old and over 2500 miles, runs smoothly but can feel the battery slightly sagging---carrying my big butt and too fast on the throttle will tax any battery. So, I'm purchasing a new bike in a few months. My Christmas Present!!
R10 Sept 2011 015.JPG
http://www.igoelectric.com/home-fr.html

Are you buying another Tonaro (48Volt)?

There are going to be heaps of theses motors around for years to come, they are being used on lots of bikes that is for sure.

acho said:
If anyone has upgraded their stock controller
I am interested in purchasing (American ? 32kmh / 34kmh) one
I have standard UK 25kmh, 15mph controller on my bike
acho
The controller doesn't have to be changed to release the speed limit. You only need to move the magnet on the spoke away from the sensor. If you want a bit more power add a bit of solder to the shunt in the controller, but don't go too far because the battery isn't particularly strong.

I have removed the magnet
Also the sensor which was damaged before I removed it
This did not make any difference
Does the shunt mod give the bike more top speed ?
I thought it just gave more power / acceleration / less range
The UK controller is limiting to 15 mph
Imagine doing the shunt mod to American version controller
acho

Attachments

• SAM_0993.JPG
    SAM_0993.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 4,775
Hi Tony,

Yes I did paint the bike
It was all yellow in the beginning
The frame cracked at the bottom & I had to get it welded
I tried to paint the welded area the same colour but it did not match
I ended up spraying the frame two shades lighter yellow
I removed the brake brackets from the swinging arm & painted it black

acho

I have just installed the 48 Volt upgrade (not the upgraded reduction gear just the controller/battery/display panel/headlight/tail light)
Wow!!!!
What a difference. I went out for my morning ride and it was like being on a different bike. It has so much more speed. I didn't want to use the 3rd power mode as it was almost too fast ( I will get used to that of course)
WHen it was time to come up my very big hill it went up like the hill didn't exist. It went up much faster than with the 36 Volt setup

I am very happy indeed.

Cheers,
Tony.

Great to Hear that
I am seriously thinking the the same.
What do you do with the 36 v Dc battery Can you add another 12 v Dc cell combo?
The Way I See it Is You Get a New Controller & new Compartment Plus New Headlight & Tail light and a Handel Bar Switch Volt Meter Combo.
also a new bearing.
I was looking at the option off going to upgrade and this seams excellent Value?
Shaun has always assisted me and i am interested in your comments Negative and Positive.
I assume That you use the same motor with no mod.
mine is stamped 200 Watts so the Establishment would have to prove it has more !

I was also thinking of a 48 volt upgrade but local dealer quoted almost 1300 dollars---too much for me. Prefer to purchase the new 48 volt Tonaro version, coming out December according to Tonaro. It will make a great Christmas present. My bike is still holding up well but after almost 3000 miles of hauling my 210 lb butt up Vermont hills, soon time for a replacement.
http://www.igoelectric.com/home-fr.html
R10 Sept 2011 009.JPG

tonyontopofabighill said:
I have just installed the 48 Volt upgrade (not the upgraded reduction gear just the controller/battery/display panel/headlight/tail light)
Wow!!!!
What a difference. I went out for my morning ride and it was like being on a different bike. It has so much more speed. I didn't want to use the 3rd power mode as it was almost too fast ( I will get used to that of course)
WHen it was time to come up my very big hill it went up like the hill didn't exist. It went up much faster than with the 36 Volt setup

I am very happy indeed.

Cheers,
Tony.
Post some pics!!! How difficult was the wiring? How much was the upgrade? Local dealer quoted almost 1300 bucks. Thanks.

Sorry I didn't take any pics. Te bike still looks exactly the same as before. I am not trained in any electrical disciplines, I am a backyard do it yourselfer. I can however sit down and study instructions and manuals and take my time doing a job.
With the kit that I bought I payed $749 Australian dollars and for that I got the following.

The instruction manual that comes as a downlaod after you buy the kit is one of the best I have seen. It has clear pictures and all the instructions are in concise English (not translated into English)
You basically remove the controller and its box. You get a new controller box but the old one is exactly the same ( I only learned this after I had removed the old one)
The instructions suggested removing some of the plugs so as to get the old controller free but I decided just to make the hole they go through bigger and so this made the job much easier.
I had marked some of the plugs with numbers so I would not mix up pairing up the new controller. THis was pretty easy to install the new controller. After this was doe the old headlight and tail light were removed and replaced with the new ones.
I am not good with a soldering iron so I just did twisted wire connections and insulated them for the tail light and tucked them away into the frame (sorry to the purists out there)
ext was the headlight which had an extra wire ( red/black/blue).
It was now time to pull the wire connections out of the frame near the headset and separate the connectors.
Then replaced the mode switch on the handlebars .THIs was paired up with its female connector and put back into the frame. THe next step was a little tricky as they suggested soldering this. One of the wires from each of the brake switches had to be soldered to the black headlight wire. Again I twisted/insulated them.
I have got a throttle so that was connected to its female connector and a few other things before I put the new battery in place.Looks the same as the old one and hit the mode display button.
I could not believe it! It lit up!!!!
I then just toughed the throttle a tiny bit and voila there was power going to the motor. I quickly jumped a aboard and rode around the house a few times. The increase in power/speed was very evident right from the initial take off. Yahoo !
I then went back into the shed and turned on the headlight/tail light to see that and to my amazement the tail light came on and the headlight had become a horn!
It took a while for the penny to drop and I remembered that there was an extra wire coming out of the head light. It was red/black/blue. I had assumed to wire the red wire but this is obviously a horn and the blue wire is the light.
So there you have it. Believe me if I can do it then ANYONE can do it!

Cheers,
Tony.

I have fitted 48 teeth chainring (what a pain to do)
Now zooming round at 17mph
I kept the chain at 114 links to help prevent from jumping off the sprockets
So far the chain has not come off & gear changing is o.k.
acho

Can someone help me find a 200w+ brushless motor for an early model Tonaro that has a 250w brush motor? Any suggestions welcome. The existing 250w brush motor is seriously underpowered.

manson said:
Can someone help me find a 200w+ brushless motor for an early model Tonaro that has a 250w brush motor? Any suggestions welcome. The existing 250w brush motor is seriously underpowered.

How about:
http://www.aseakoelectricbike.com.au/products-page/spare-parts/aseako-200w-brushless-motor/

They are in Brisbane, Australia, but I would think they would post.

Hi
Just ordered the 48 V upgrade kit from http://www.aseakoelectricbike.com.au/pr ... grade-kit/

manson said:

Why do you think a 200watt brushless motor is going to be more powerful than a 250watt brushed motor ??
If you need more power you should be looking at your controller and batteries.
I suspect a $20 controller swap would give you a pleasant surprise :wink:

Well Updated to the 48 V system and yes it is great.
Still new days but with the equipment supplied it is excellent value.
Only issue was I had a couple of wires crossed But Shaun talked me through it and solved my error.
had a pedal shaft Failure but as usual Shaun sent me a replacement.
The new shaft is a new style and much better. I am so impressed with the Tonaro bikes and the Aussie Guys as they assist at any request.
Photos of the Shaft Failure and replacement for your info

Attachments

• new shaft.jpg
    new shaft.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,445
  • Broken Shaft.jpg
    Broken Shaft.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 2,445
Hi I have a Tonaro Compy which I am trying to get working.

There are no lights or signs of life despite the battery giving 42V.
So I am having a look at the wiring - the handlebar sensors/inputs/outputs are now not connected to the hub controller and I need to make connections - anybody help please!

Wiring diagrams or colour matching would be really useful.

The Wiring diagrams attached
may not be Perfect but Will help.

Attachments

• BIGHITwiring diag.pdf
    423.2 KB · Views: 173
Thanks Roland - really useful.

I still have a problem with the 3 speed PAS - in my Compy I have yellow, red, green and I am trying to connect to a grey, purple, black but no luck.

I can work the throttle though - enough for now

Back