• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Top speed of derestricted 24V assist ebike?

kurtster

10 mW
After riding my Q128c build, my brother-in-law has been inspired to upgrade his assist-style e-bike with a simple kit he found online. His bike is the common (read: legal) "assist" type -- a 24V mid-drive system that has a sophisticated PAS (torque + cadence).

In such assist bikes, the motor provides the maximum assist (about twice the input force) until 10 km/h, and then tapers off until cutting out at entirely at 24 km/h (=15 mph).

The kit in question replaces a ring with magnets in the speed sensor attached to the front hub with one with fewer magnets. It seems that doing so tricks the controller into providing the maximum assist even when the bike is moving faster than 24 kph.

The seller of the kit claims it's possible to reach 40 km/h (using a rear sprocket with fewer teeth). I'm just wondering how realistic that is given its a 24V battery and the fact that volts affect the speed of a motor.

Back