Tppacks.com, Zippy Lipo 48v 15ah, LVC and Hyperion 1420i

It's looking good, so far. :) I have one of those crimping tools, but it is still a pain. I like that you soldered yours as well. Even with using the crimper, if it isn't just right, you can have one pop off.

-- Gary

Thx !! 8)

Back to the packs, cut up some self-stick floor tiles left over from this project :
http://ypedal.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=190

And added double sided tape to the other side so all the packs are stuck together.

zippy20.JPG

Voila !

Attachments

• zippy21.JPG
    zippy21.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,749
bad lighting, but there she be.. a 6 pack of lipo !

All charged and ballanced..

Next step is to cut all those bullets and install andersons :evil: ... i wish i had a bag of these connectors, would save a lot of work.

Then i box this inside an ABS layer. :wink:

Attachments

• zippy23.JPG
    zippy23.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,741
Nice Job!

Excellent idea with the floor tiles pieces!

Doc

the 3p groups are in parallel on the tppack boards right?

there needs to be a connection from cell 6 from the lower 24v pack to cell 1 from the upper 24v pack on the tppacks board.

if not, it is better to parallel the connections in the yellow circles.

Niels

nieles said:
the 3p groups are in parallel on the tppack boards right? -YES

there needs to be a connection from cell 6 from the lower 24v pack to cell 1 from the upper 24v pack on the tppacks board.

if not, it is better to parallel the connections in the yellow circles.

Niels

Since i'm not entirely sure about the 2nd part, :oops:

zippy25.JPG

Attachments

• zippy26.JPG
    zippy26.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 4,516
what did you use to wrap around the 4 wires for the paralell harness? a strip of copper?

the wiring harness looks very professional!

I think that's the best approach.
I wouldn't suggest using the balancing connectors as the only parallel connection between packs.

nieles said:
what did you use to wrap around the 4 wires for the paralell harness? a strip of copper?

the wiring harness looks very professional!

Yes, i have a strip of copper i use to snip strips from and bind the wires together ( getting 3x 12awg + 1x 10awg + 1x 14awg wires together is not easy !!! ) then solder the entire group..

It always starts off nice and neat, but as you finish up the rat's nest grows ever larger...

I covered the LVC board with pvc tape, not sure if it gets hot but as it does not bleed power and leaves the ballancing up to the charger, i assume there will be minimal heat buildup on it..

Notice how the workspace gets clutterd !!!! :oops:

Attachments

• zippy28.JPG
    zippy28.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 4,512
I see no problem by connecting that this way.. but this is not the best i would recommand

But ensure that when you balance the cells, that you balance 12s at a time and in serie and not just 6s

The way you connected it in the picture is exactly like a 12s1p x 3 pack and not a 12s3p x 1 pack

I would rater recommand making 12s3p x 1 and to parallel all balance connector to make a 3p pack ( like the Tppacks connector allow)

Doc

there are two ways to connect the packs.

first make 3 strings of 12s 1p, then connect the positive and negative of the 12s strings in parallel
with this configuration there is no parallel connection at cell level, because the tppacks boards are not used (otherwise it would be like the 2nd option)

first connect all cells at their cell level in parallel so 2 strings of 6s 3p, then connect these two strings in parallel

so with the tppacks parallel boards, and the new wiring harness for the parallel connection for the 6s groups the pack is connected as 12s3p x1 as doc said

i hope this clears it a bit up?
otherwise i can make a drawing if you like.

nieles, It sounds simple what your explaining but can you please make a drawing.
Thanks

Ypedal said:
that's the part i could not visualize, (12s 3p) vs (3x 12s 1p) :lol:

Ypedal... 3 x 12s 1p is like 3 x 12s 1p pack not connected together with the balance connectors... .. but only paralleled with the main neg and pos

on the other hand.. 1 x 12s3p for me, it mean a pack of 12x in serie 1s3p

Doc

I still cant get this straight in my head....

If i hook up 3 packs with all 3 + wires, and connect the TPpacks LVC boards to the ballance leads.. i have 6S 3P ... the ballance leads being connected puts cell1 from pack1 in parallel at teh cell level.. with cell1 from pack2 and cell1 from pack3..

Same goes for the other 6 cells on packs 4, 5 and 6..

Bridging the main power leads in the middle ( YELLOW CIRCLES ) or connecting them solo would be the same thing would it not ?

The voltage has to equalize at the cell level... oh man.. i just blew another brain cell..

( it dont really mater since i've already gone ahead and made Parallel harnesses and seriesed the packs that way... but i'd like to understand this.. )

If you start out with balanced cells/packs, I think it is fine to parallel just the main 12s +/- connections, and not parallel the intermediate connections. This is how I've been building LiPo packs since the beginning. All the cells are still paralleled at the cell level.

--Gary

What is the charger input voltage? Sounds like you are using 12v. The charger needs 24v to get the full power, and I do believe there may be a setting hidden in the setup menu to change the max wattage to the full capability. I know other Hyperion chargers are like that, but I haven't gotten into those details of mine yet.

I haven't been paralleling my cell chunks under 12s, so I don't have bridges on the 6s level either. I also don't take out the last amp hour or two of the pack. Never had a problem with it, the only problems I have are runt cells.

Back