Tppacks.com, Zippy Lipo 48v 15ah, LVC and Hyperion 1420i

okay here is the drawing for the people asking for it:

parallel series.JPG

On the left: the cells are first connected in series to get 12s strings, then the 12s groups are connected in parallel at the pos and neg terminals.

On the right: all cells are first connected in parallel, then the series connecion is made.

Ok.. understood... however with the TP pack boards it becomes something like this :

The only segment not paralleled is the one between cell group 6 and 7 .. the rest are all in P..

I imagine better current handling having the packs connected by 3 wires would be better imo..

Did you also change the wattage setting of the input? I think that may be an option too.

Sorry for the lack of reading comprehension, I was a bit drunk last night :lol: I read the entire thread looking for the info and it was right above my head :!:

Ypedal,
thanks for a great tutorial, I've got the same kit from Gary a while back and know I know how to build one. I'm planning on running (4) 6S 5000mah zippy batteries in 12s2p setup.

Well now.. imagine this... i just got off the phone with Mr.B and aparently.. somehow... upon connection of the new pack to the controller the andersons vaporized into plasma and caught fire !!!!!! :shock:

WTF ?????

I even installed a 70 amp fuse prior to it leaving here and the fuse did not pop, he swears the polarity was right...

Having him bring the bike and pack back here tomorrow for further investigation but i'm at a totall loss to explain what the hell happened... i have connected 1000's of times various anderson assemblies from 12 to 100v and have NEVER had this happen... i've had them stick and spot weld themselves a few times but a few wiggles and they snap in place but never any fireworks... ever...

After investigating the remains i determine that it was an accident on the new guy's part !

Impossible to tell via the tips of the andersons, they are gonners, but the box ends of the powerpoles are still there and i can tell that with male sides facing up on both ends, it would be impossible to make a proper connection, so they were plugged in reverse polarity !!! :shock:

PPburn2.JPG

I cut the cables back and re-crimped fresh andersons, checked pack voltage at 50.2 volts, good... Then hooked it up to the controller and it powered on as expected, no fireworks this time !!.. and all is still working correctly !

I would have expected the controller to smoke but it did not !!! Phew !

Newbs can wreck anything in a split second. lol My intern smoked a giant SB120 Anderson connector like that on a perfectly made pack I gave him to test. Connected it backwards. lol

You did an outstandingly nice job on the pack my friend.

I tested the pack on my bikes before handing it over, he was using a few of my spare packs i lent him while working on his so he was already familiar with Andersons.... Howerver.. his bike had the poles reversed from my bikes and he did not pay attention to polarity when hooking it up at 11pm at night in his kitchen..... :twisted:

Haha, I bet it it woke him up quick smart though YPedal Man! All Drousy, about ready for bed likely one or two wines later lol..then ZAP! Scares the beejesus out of you when your half expecting it, could only imagine the shock when your not....

Good to see no Penang damage to anything else :)

KiM

Super job on the pack buddy (for a blind man ;) ) but am amazed the controller survived that! flipping amazing! the andersons acted as a fuse there :lol: and I know what it is to make a connection mistake too, did that when I first built my pack, got distracted by a phone call, came back and vaporized all my balance wires :mrgreen: splitting my brand new batteries and soldering new balance leads kinda has made me pay 100% attention when changing or modifying the pack.

....maybe we should cover just exactly what it is that is wrong in that picture Mr Ypedal(?) Just for the newbies here and in the future......NOT for me...
Becasue I'm sure some of the less-experienced people might look at that photo (red wires/red connectors & black wrires/black connectors-facing eachother) and think that is oaky..!!
Funny, I bet some body (right now) has a garage full of great batteries/contorllers that are all blown up and...... I still can't figure out why???

Thank you,

Ryan

Good point.

If you look at the picture below, see how the Male/Female dove-tails on the blocks can only fit a certain way and plug Red-Red and Black-Black if those dove-tails are oriented properly.

From the residue in the picture above, I can confirm that they were plugged reverse polarity by looking not at the tips, but at the ends of the blocks.

Attachments

• anderson-pairs.JPG
    anderson-pairs.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 3,156
So, the burnt bits were wired red-red and. Black-black when pluggIng in controller ? Weird cuz that's how I have it...

Ah! I see now. You have them lined up, but couldn't plug em in like that. You didn't have his bike/controller when testing.

Hi Ypedal,
Sorry to jack your thread, but I was wonder if you can help me with my problem. I've read many of you posts on here and your website and you are very knowledgeable on lipos. I had PM you regarding having the same setup but with 12S2P and that I was not able to turn the motor with my controller. Now, I have another serious issue. I don't know what has happened, but it seems that all my battery is dead now. A couple of weeks ago, I was able to to connect the 12S2P that output 45V. I had left the battery connected and now all four of my 6S packs are swelled up and not producing any voltage, not even powering up the CA. I tried even disconnecting everything and plugging into a battery medic and it doesn't power it either. I've tried charging in 12S2P and 6S separately but it was not able to charge, it state "no control" and when it's doing a battery check, it only see one cell.

Any insight or suggestion to get the battery back to normal? Attached are pictures of my set up and thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• IMG_20111130_001137.jpg
    IMG_20111130_001137.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 2,930
  • IMG_20111130_195040.jpg
    IMG_20111130_195040.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 2,930
I"m either looking at this wrong or something is really wrong with the way you have the main power wires S and P ' ed.

If you seperated all the packs and every cell from every pack is at 0v, and puffed up.... those packs are toast.. dont even try to revive them.. take them outside and put them some place safe ( like in a clay pot or in a metal box.... )

not cool.. no fun.. but no shit.. you do have to figure out what's wrong before trying again..

take a few more pictures and angles of how you have this hooked up please so we can see the other side of the packs..

Back