TranceX3

zelectric

100 mW
I have been lurking around here for years and figured it was time to post my ride for the past year and a half. I use this bike for commuting and for fun. It is a low power set up using a 48v ping battery and a stock controller. Ping arranged the battery in a longer rectangular shape for me. The battery is simply held to the stainless steel mount by 4 velcro straps. I have over 3000 miles on this frame and would highly recommend this frame for a build.
ebikebeach.jpg

ebikeleft.jpg

ebikerear.jpg

ebikerear2.jpg

geared motor
48v Ping

Nice bike, very stealth!

His bike is a Giant Trance Nico. Are you getting a full susser buddy?

nicobie said:
Nice bike.
What is you frame called and by chance is it steel?
Thanks! It is a 2009 Giant Trance X3 http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/mountain/2272/32147/?collections_id=4
The tranceX series is a bit beefier than the the trance. I liked it due to its light weight for a 5" suspension frame and the large open triangle in the frame to mount the battery. It is quite stealthy and pedals great. Here is break down of the frame geometry:
9TranceCypher.jpg

That is a good looking bike. I went from a large 500w geared hub to a 350w mini geared and I must say my bike feels more like a bike now.

Especially when you have a $2,000 bicycle frame, not counting the motor and batteries, it should strive to be more bike than scooter.

What motor do you have? Looks like a 350w mini.

What are your controller specs? Pushing 1kw?

tuxman said:
That is a good looking bike. I went from a large 500w geared hub to a 350w mini geared and I must say my bike feels more like a bike now.

Especially when you have a $2,000 bicycle frame, not counting the motor and batteries, it should strive to be more bike than scooter.

What motor do you have? Looks like a 350w mini.

What are your controller specs? Pushing 1kw?

Thanks! 2k is the MSRP. I picked this bike up used and paid less than half that. The motor is an Amped bikes geared motor. The controller is the stock 18amp mini which is small enough to mount above the rear shock. I always pedal and feel using the low amp controller will prolong my battery life. I did add a new freewheel with an 11tooth sprocket so I can still pedal at 25mph. :D

Nice build, nice bike. Thanks for sharing. This is testimony for the pros of having a mini geared motor.

Is that a Ping48v 10ah battery? can you tell me what the dimension are?

Racer_X said:
Nice build, nice bike. Thanks for sharing. This is testimony for the pros of having a mini geared motor.
Is that a Ping48v 10ah battery? can you tell me what the dimension are?
Thanks Racer_X. The battery is a ping 48v 10ah. I had them custom arrange the cells. It is 300mmx100mmx100mm not including the BMS. The 100mm width is perfect clearing the pedals and my legs. :D

Minor milestone today as I have commuted by Ebike 200 days! :D Not 200 days in a row but thats ok since I still own a truck and tend to be a bit of a fair weathered ebike commuter. I did the first 20 days or so on my 36vGT an rest on the Giant TranceX3. My commute is 22 miles round trip. I bring a charger and top off the 48v 10ah ping at work. Driving my truck costs on average $5/day in gas to drive to work and back-a bit more now as gas prices increase. What is also great about this bike is I ride the hell out of it on the weekends cause it is so fun!! I lurk often here and thank everyone that contributes and makes it a great place.
Ebikebay.jpg

zelectric, welcome to the green commuting club. I have been doing what you described since 2009. The saving paid for the ebike in the first 7 months, when you include parking, and congestion toll to go into downtown Stockholm.
I really like your Trance X3 build, I think the best part about it is how you mounted the battery. Do you mind sharing some pictures of your mounting solution.
Thanks /Racer_X

Racer_X said:
I really like your Trance X3 build, I think the best part about it is how you mounted the battery. Do you mind sharing some pictures of your mounting solution.
Thanks /Racer_X
Thanks again Racer_X!! The battery mount I went with is a piece of stainless steel that has one end bent up to to hold the battery from sliding down. The platform utilizes one of the water bottle bolts. The real strength comes form the hose clamps that hold it to the frame. The house clamps are rubber mounted to the frame. The battery is protected by a thinly padded wine bottle cooler that just happen to fit my custom 48v ping perfectly. I stuffed some padding inside on top of the BMS for more protection. To mount the battery/bag I used 4 velcro/hook-n-loop straps. I did it this way for a couple reasons. One is the simplicity and two is the redundancy of having 4 straps. Even if one were to fail, I have 3 more to keep me going until it can be fixed. :D I was trying to KISS-Keep It Simple S..... The last 'S' can be changed to keep it friendly. Here are a couple low quality pics:
ebikebattmount1.jpg

ebikebattmount2.jpg

ebikebattmount3.jpg

zelectric, Thanks for the pics definately KISS yet Secure. One of the best features about your solution is the easy battery removal from the bike. Problaby takes 30 seconds, nice when you need to remove in order to charge (ie at work, the gym. restaurant, coffee shop, library, the beach, a park, gas station etc. etc).
like.png

I also just recently found out from Li Ping that his 48v 10ah pack is capable of 30amp continuous.
Li PIng wrote:
Our 48v10ah pack can work at 30amps without any problem if you don’t mind the less battery life. Ecospeed uses our 48v10ah pack with high rate BMS on their 1000w motor without any problem.
and I don't mind less battery life. My ping has already done 3 years of daily service paying for itself many times over.

Time for an update as the Trance X3 is approaching 10,000 miles. I don't think the Cateye Enduro8 cycle computer will go past 10k mile limit. cateye10k.jpg
I have been running the direct drive motor after a couple problems with the original geared motor.IMG_20150520_161559.jpg

The front tire -a kenda small block8 - has worn out nicely. IMG_20150520_161416.jpgView attachment 1

I still ride this bike almost daily but not as a commuter any longer. I think Ebiking is still in the golden age and when done properly can be ridden almost anywhere! 8)

Thanks to the ES community for all the priceless information.

Nice success story, ebikes are so fun.. :D

Back