Travelling with Lipo

yopappamon

10 kW
Most dangerous city in the USA, Flint, MI
The ebikes, the Mrs. and I will be hitting the road soon and I was wondering the safest way to transport my lipo.

Do you think it would be bad to put them in a small metal trash can, then in my tool box? The scary thing is this all sets on top of 100 gallons of diesel fuel in a transfer tank. It would be separated by three layers of metal.

batteries.jpg

tank.jpg

Ammo boxes from the surplus store would be a good way to transport them. Drill vent holes though.

Maybe. Looking for your # . Good luck. Last time it was a power outest and you got new batteries. What happen to get your family on the road. Don't tell me, you flush all your old socks down the toilet all at once ? I still want to know if you know the power Co. guy who dropped the wrench and So. Cal had that 2 day blackout. So your wife gave you the green light for more batteries. Well roll on. Good luck.

Just inside the toolbox is pretty good, if it's steel. Ammo boxes, or smaller steel toolboxes would be good, along with a way to get them out if they do start to smoke. So a hook or some kind of tool to grab the box could be good. Just a long baling wire handle could work.

Nothing wrong with the can though. One thing I like to do, is not have the entire pile in one container. The other is line metal containers with tape or cardboard or something non conductive. Particulaly I like to pad the bottom somehow to minimize chafing. Shorts is how most battery fires start after all.

diesel doesn't burn (only when vaporised or with a whick) so I wouldn't really worry there.
Maybe put your lipo's in 2 or 3 plastic-lined metal boxes, if something happens you don't lose
all of them at once.

Back