TSDS2 chain hitting the motor case...

MichaelCL

1 µW
Hi guys

A couple of years ago i bought and installed a tongsheng TSDZ2 motor.
Due to health reasons i was unable to use the bike. I'm now getting better and wanted to ride my bike again.
Unfortunately i'm running into issues... (with both motors!)

Problem with bike/motor 1:

the chain is not running straight on the sprocket. I am unsure whether the sprocket is bent or if there is another issue causing this. As a result, the chain is making contact with the motor housing. This can be heard and seen in the video:

Additionally, there is an opening in the motor housing where the cables for the battery and other components come out. I can't get it to close properly... It seems unfinished. This raises concerns about potential damage to the internal components from dust, dirt, or water.

Furthermore, there is very little clearance between the sprocket and the motor housing, leaving minimal space for the chain. Is it normal for the chain to come so close to the motor housing? It appears that there is insufficient clearance...

Ps: I already tried to replace the sprocket with the one from motor 2, i'm having similar results, it does not run straight...
But its just barely not hitting against the motor case.

There is also alot of wobble, movement... Is this normal?
I cant tighten the screws any more...

here is a video of the wobbling....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mine had some wobble, too. I tried running the bigger SolidBike ring and it rubbed like that. But mine was OK with the stock 42t ring. These motors aren't the best quality.
Thanks... I really hope someone has a fix or idea on how to correct this... I bought this (non electric) bike new and without support i wont be able to use it (heatlh wise). I now know i should have never tried to diy a electric bike. At that time everyone was so positive about this motor... Worst case, i don't have the money for it but the only alternative would be a bafang motor. But even then i'm not sure if its better quality wise. And this tongsheng was not cheap... :-( Hope i can find a fix.

There are a fair number of threads about the system, and the big one has quite a lot of fixes for various common issues.

FWIW, it's often possible to change the spacing of sprocket to spider. If you can get slightly longer spider bolts (from a local bike shop, for instance) you might be able to get and use spacers between sprocket and spider to get it just enough further away to prevent rubbing.

If the chainring itself, without a chain on it, is not wobbling either by hand or under motor power, then the sprocket might be too thin for the chain used, so it doesn't fill the space between the sides of the chain, and it slides laterally on the rollers.

If you can move the chain side to side on the sprocket this could be causing the wobble you see.

Back