Turnigy Multistar - lightweight 10C cells

Punx0r said:
Hopefully someone will do some discharge testing on these to determine the actual c-rate. Great if it is 10C, as advertised, not so great if it's the usual "half of advertised" with HK lipo.

Ive tested a wide range of 2.2AH packs of various C rates. Some packs were tested up to up to 20-30C and they dont fair well meaning the voltage sucked. The only packs that didnt suck were the A spec NanoTech followed by the Turnigy 60C Heavy Duty followed by the lower level nano techs. In my verdict Turnigy 20C was still the best bang for the buck and for some reason always over delivered when ran at 1/4 of the stated C rating. The A - Spec held an overall highest voltage and delivered exactly what it was supposed to it didnt matter if it was at 30C or 1C. What I saw with these multistar packs is at 5A or 0.5C or 25A or 2.5C there was negligible change in capacity. Although pack heating under a 25A sustained discharge was concerning which could lead to premature gassing and puffing if you pushed them hard. Neptronix and I agree that for most HK packs we need to derated them to a 1/4 of their stated C rating for continuous discharge and leave the peak ratings for just that Peak.

liveforphysics said:
When the cells used in an RC pack complete final QC after finishing final-formation, they are charged to +-1mV of the same voltage.

When you see a low one, it is likely it has an internal self-discharge issue that will lead to gassing and failure. However, a more through test of this self-discharge behavior would include charging them all to 4.2v, and letting them all sit together in a warm-ish (35degC?) place for a week or so, then measuring each cell again and compare them with there previous voltages to look for drop.

Thanks for that, This is how I finally worked out my ping had an slightly iffy cell once I had stopped using it weekly. When I get my 16.000 packs I will rest up the 2x10.000 and observe them.

Btw I got more heat than I have ever got from a lifepo4 from these (maybe like a mug of tea when your half way done, nothing major). Some of my headways got warm on the first few discharges so maybe its a similar thing? I was running 8-20 amps guestimate at 16mph on a mac 10t at 44v for 20 miles. I just got a cheap watt meter so I can see what Im drawing soon.

At a 10A discharge Ive had temps reach 42C or 107F in an open air enviroment with my temp sensor resting under the pack. I think we need to be worried when its gets to 120-130F+ which i know for a fact it meets or exceeds that at 25A or 2.5C so again I would have to stand by the claim of not to exceed 1/4 of the C rating for sustained periods. Im running these packs in a 4P configuration so Im not worried bout temps.

This was pulled off an RC helicopter forum and I know the helis torture batteries.

HEAT?

Lastly, taking a temperature reading of your packs after running them is another good way to gauge if you're using a high enough C rating. I'm afraid to say it, but just because a pack says it is rated at 30C doesn't necessary mean it is in real world applications. Realistically, C ratings are somewhat meaningless because they are rarely verifiable. On top of that, as packs age the internal resistance gets higher making them run warmer and as your flying ability improves, chances are you will be pulling more current.

The general rule is if you can't comfortably hold a LiPo pack tightly in your hand after using it, it's way too hot. This equates to anything higher than about 50C (122F). That is even way too warm as far as I'm concerned. Nothing higher than 40C (about 104F) is what I consider safe and I rarely have my packs go much past 35C (95F) unless it's also very hot outside as well. So - if you find your packs are getting warmer than this, it's a good bet you should consider moving up to a higher discharge rating for your next LiPo pack.

Leaving your packs in the car on a hot sunny day can certainly heat them up well past 40C as well. Internal or external heat - both have the same negative effect, hot LiPo's are miserable and they won't last long.

The IR i saw on these packs were 2-3 resting at room temp. During discharge this dropped into the 1s. Im assuming due to cell heating. This was from an Icharge 406 Duo and Luke says they have chitty worthless IR detection.

icecube57 said:
The general rule is if you can't comfortably hold a LiPo pack tightly in your hand after using it, it's way too hot. This equates to anything higher than about 50C (122F). That is even way too warm as far as I'm concerned. Nothing higher than 40C (about 104F) is what I consider safe and I rarely have my packs go much past 35C (95F) unless it's also very hot outside as well. So - if you find your packs are getting warmer than this, it's a good bet you should consider moving up to a higher discharge rating for your next LiPo pack.

Ok cool Il keep an eye on it. On steep hills like 15% gradient I get 3.65vish acell on 1p's and 3.75vish running 2p(at the end of my ride home after 8ah is gone). I usually use 2p but used 1p once after a 65 mile trek and my mrs zapped one of my packs into hers when she ran out.

I forgot to note the IR on mine when balance charging single packs. I think it was 2-3 on a cellpro xp 10s.

I remember 0.9-1.0 when I charge 2 in parallel. My Turnigy reactor agrees. The turnigy reactor is the best value for money iv ever spent on a charger. 12amps from a 12v source and its tiny and it balances well.

Thanks again for the input.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__44112__turnigy_reaktor_300w_20a_6s_balance_charger.html

I just finished my test. First test was at 10A and i got 10185mah on the discharge and the cell got up to 42C or 107F. The second test was 20A and I got 10132mah and the pack got up to 49C or 120F. So in conclusion 2.5C is probably your stopping limit for continuous use.

Russell said:
Select warehouse
Check the 6000+ box
Run the Discharge(c) slider to 10C
Check the Config you want (only 4S,6S available)
-R
Ok , Thanks Russell...
.. you were right,.. it was the "international" and Aussi, W/hse that dont seem to hold any high capacity Multistar
I guess that means international ordering may be an issue !

If I select the multistar option while in the "uk warehouse" my new 16000 batteries will not show. I have to search them out on the Eu warehouse and then select the small link showing the stock as available in the uk. Some issues with the website I guess.

So its annoying but make sure you have checked all warehouses incase this happens in yours.

It appears to be spot welded tabs with the balance leads soldered to the tab. No circuit board. Yes I have opened one up that was a defective pack with a puffy cell.

I get the feeling when you order 2 or more your more likely to get crapped on lol. As if your less likely to complain as you have one thats perfect.

One of my new 16000 packs has a bulge running down each unprotected side as the two halves of the pack are misaligned by 2-3mm each. I normally run them with the plastic face down but wanted these stood up to avoid leg chaffing as they are slightly narrower that way. Just sent an rma to see what they do.

The two packs which came in perfect order had the next chronological bar code number to each other. This recent set are 100 numbers different. Clearly a previous customer return.

As the stock was low I started a support chat got the rma team to look at the pics and decided it has puffed cells. Im 90 percent sure it hasnt but in any case I have a free replacement on its way so al is well :)

They cant puff up can they? Its just two 8ah packs badly lined up Im sure.

Last edited:
I doubt anything is wrong with your packs. For me I cycled all 17 packs to check for capacity. One was obviously bloated right out the gate and got worse when it was cycled. The other 16 were fine I filed a warranty claim and got a credit and ordered a replacement. The replacement was fine. With HK you have to factor in atleast a 10% dud rate. But the prices are so much better than mainstream brands that they dont expect you to complain but Ive had success with all my RMAs so far you just have to give them solid proof to state your claim and have clear pictures ready.

I think its fine if I wrap in up in fluff and ride like a lady. But im a bit rough and dont want the soft side of a cell being abused.

It already looks beaten up just from going through the post. The plastic is wearing where it bulges. So electrically I dont think this if faulty but assembly wise it clearly has one cell sticking out badly. I dont want it bouncing around in my 2k bike really, Id hate to be one of those scary burnt out frame pics. Plus its a hair too fat for my enclosure I built due to its extra width.

Not complaining as they have sent me a new one :)

I use mattress memory foam in my frame bag to pad it from beating itself on the frame.

iv got a padded board with some normal foam on top of that and a layer between cells when I stack two 10.000ah's. I couldnt find any agreement of the best orientation for a small bunch of packs. So just want them to be the size I ordered so they fit my pack shroud id already made for having the cells vertical (not flat).

10mm is all the difference when its sat on your top tube. When I have 10ah cells stacked ontop of the 16ah cells I dont want the weight trying to rotate my packs squiffy halves back into square.

Im fed up getting oddities in orders and paying the price later. So I want to sort these things out so I am happy with the item, feel safe using it and will get a good life cycle from it.

Last week I got a psu from them that stank to high heaven of burning and they said it was normal for first use. So continued to use it and one of my chargers started to smoke and now wont store packs. My cell medic turned up with half the display not working. xt90 leads with collapsed terminals. Every other item iv ordered £400 of £800 has been faulty or had things like this. Thank god its cheap and I didnt depend on them for an rc comp at the weekend or something :)

Ok im done rabbiting rubbish Just surprised at the quality control. 100 mile round trip soon from hawkinge to hastings!

Surprised I completely missed these batteries, I always find cool stuff when I decide to hunt around the forum in the various sections.

Anyway, these look pretty amazing, especially if you are running huge packs!

I run a 2700watt hour or 18s8p lipo pack. Or 24 packs of 6s 5000 MAH 20C., it's too bad I only pull 60 battery amps.

I'm thinking I could use these for 22s and still be able to parallel them enough to draw up to 100 amps.

I could also fit a 3500 watt hour pack into my bike for the same weight as the packs are 20% lighter but also 20% smaller in volume.

Quick question, can you buy this new technology in round cells, like if you were going to make your own pack with 18650 cells?

Voltage is on the left and time is on the bottom. Comparison between my suggested 25A vs 50A.Discharge to 3.6v. Atleast with the 25A discharge you stay above 3.6v for 80% of the discharge the 50A drops off about 55-60%. So ideally to have good voltage through the entire curve 20A prob would put you exactly where u need to be.

Attachments

• 25A vs 50A Turnigy Multistar 10C.jpg
    25A vs 50A Turnigy Multistar 10C.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,023
icecube57 said:
Voltage is on the left and time is on the bottom. Comparison between my suggested 25A vs 50A.Discharge to 3.6v. Atleast with the 25A discharge you stay above 3.6v for 80% of the discharge the 50A drops off about 55-60%. So ideally to have good voltage through the entire curve 20A prob would put you exactly where u need to be.
Did you charged to 4.22V ?
How does they perform in fast charging? They are rated 2C fast charging same as the Samsung 25R. And i did some fast charging with the 25R and they need active cooling @ 2C when they are in a battery housing. Can you make a test from empty to 4.1V 2C fast charge with temperature measurement?

I charge to 4.22 cause after 20-30 min the pack settles to 4.2v. I personally charge at 2c. The packs stay cool for the most part until they get to about 8ah then they start heating up. At 25a they get up to about 48-49c under continuous drain. My opinion these are 2.5C at best.

There is negligible heating on a 2C charge so am not going to waste my time with that. The packs have an endothrermic reaction. They get cooler when they charge until they get over 4.1 a cell and then there is a 1-2c rise at best

The capacity between 4.2 and 4.1 is about 800-900mah. So thats what you loose by under charging the battery.

Back