Two Controllers, One CA

mechanix

100 W
I have two of lyen's infineon controllers set up to use the CA-DP. I have one CA, but am not sure if there is a way to read the overall amperage and watt hours used, etc. by both of the controllers at the same time. I know a simple way would be to just read off of one controller and multiply by two, but it would be great to know the actual overall current being drawn.

Joel

i think that the only possible way to do this is to modify the CA-DP to a SA model. an then measure the total amps and speed the old fashion way.
CA-SA_Web.jpg

Mr Kang is correct. that is the only way you could measure current used by both controllers. using the internal direct connection will only read the power used by one controller.

rick

Yep, the only way to do it is the old way (which is want I do anyway). The problem I have is each controller can draw 35a * 2 = 70a. But the CA is rated for 40a or 45a. So you need to charge the thingy (can't remember what it's called...LOL) with a higher amperage one. Who knows where we can get one for at leaast 70a? Would be better for maybe 80+a though.

Bob

You need a higher current capacity shunt. Thats the thingy.

So it would be possible to convert mine to a stand alone CA? Is there some way that I could measure the amperage using the external shunt, while still retaining some of the features of the CA DP such as speed sensing using the motor poles as the counter for speed and distance? I'm not an electrical genius and have limited soldering abilities, so if it's a hard mod I'll probably just use the high amperage CA. Thanks for all the replies!

Joel

I am pretty sure you could do it the way you want. I bet if you ask Justin (info@ebikes.ca) he'd be able to tell you which wires to run off, for sure. But I think there is at least one post around here showing which wire is which, in one of the controller threads that shows the pinout on the PCB of the controller end.

FWIW, I am looking at doing the opposite--converting a DP version (once I fix it) to use the DP shunt but to also read the speed via the controller.

Its an easy conversion either way. To use the shunt in the controller you need to measure its resistance.

The speed comes from a hall sensor wire, you need to know how many poles the motor has, its 1 if its just a reed switch sensor, between the Sp Pad and ground.

Awesome! so in regards to the speed sensing using the motors poles, how do I account for gear reduction? If I have a 13:1 gear reduction, can I just multiply the actual number of poles by that number to account for the gear reduction? Thanks for the replies!

joel

mechanix said:
Awesome! so in regards to the speed sensing using the motors poles, how do I account for gear reduction? If I have a 13:1 gear reduction, can I just multiply the actual number of poles by that number to account for the gear reduction? Thanks for the replies!

joel

I'd personally just change the "size" of the wheel accordingly in the CA. It either goes up or down, but assuming it's a 26 inch wheel, it'd be 26/13 inches or, if not that, 26*13 inches. Try it out and see if the readings seem right.

Back