Two Wheel Drive

lstoch

10 µW
I'm considering assembling a 2WD fat bike using 2 x 48V 500W geared hub motors.

1. Can I connect 1 x KT LCD3 to two controllers - I don't know anyone who has done this
2. I assume I can connect a single throttle to two controllers
3. I assume I can connect the pedal assist sensor to both controllers
4. I'd use a single 21Ah 40A lithium ion battery - we assemble and refurbish lithium ion batteries, so this won't be a problem.

Any cautions or suggestions?

Regards
Leonard

lstoch said:
1. Can I connect 1 x KT LCD3 to two controllers

You can probably connect the output data line from the LCD to both controllers, but the LCD will be confused by having the output data line from both controllers connected to it, as it wont' be able to understand the signals (they'll be mixed up and probably not have valid data).

So you would need to pick one of the controllers to display the data from at a time, perhaps using a toggle or rocker switch if you need access to both at various times, or just hardwiring it if you never need access to the second controller's output information.

The output from the LCD (like selecting levels from the buttons) will probably work on both controllers at once, as long as there is sufficient signal to split between the two.

The power switch wire electronics in the LCD may not handle the current draw of two controllers. You can try it and see, or you can build a simple circuit that uses the LCD switch to turn on a tiny relay that then provides the "keyswitch / ignition" signal to both controllers. A FET could also be used, but this circuit could be pickier and take more parts.

2. I assume I can connect a single throttle to two controllers
3. I assume I can connect the pedal assist sensor to both controllers
Probably, in both cases. I would only connect the 5v from one controller to each of them; you don't want to cross-connect the separate controllers' 5v supplies.

So if you will ever need to power off one controller but not the other, use the one you won't be powering off as the 5v source for those. If you need it you could add a switch that sources 5v from one controller or the other, in case of problems with one or the other.

This thread
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36959
and other posts by that author have useful detailed 2WD setup information.

Back