Upgraded Controller... Now motor is acting funny :(

philtahu

1 µW
Hey guys,

I'm new here and now I've messed up my bike and I'm looking for help!

This is my story, my ebike experience started when I bought one of those 1000W bundles on ebay for like $200 on ebay. I have it installed on a Raleigh cruiser Venture 3.0 and it worked well! Then I tried going to a 72V controller with putting two 36V batteries in series. This also worked well and allowed me to hit 1500 watts and go a little faster without a higher amp draw.
The 72 V controller I got was a Risunmotor controller off Alibaba. I don't really have a whole lot of information on it, but I still have the manual in pdf if that helps.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqZCCVzN__CGlfhY7c5FKfN3UeT8eA?e=JPxJlL

Anyways, so my battery setup is changing and I was like, I need a more flexible controller, so I got a 36V to 72V controller off ebay. Its also a RisunMotor controller and uses the same kind of connectors and has the same 3 phase wires with 3 hall sensors and so forth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fast-ship-powerfu-36-72V-1500W-15-MOSFET-40A-eBike-Controller-750C-Color-Display/233193860273?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D49a638c399fd4f8390bbb0a568b08546%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D233193860273%26itm%3D233193860273%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A0d4bf1e6-c161-11e9-ab07-74dbd18072d8%7Cparentrq%3Aa295c0c816c0a9e2a4a6a339ffefd2b5%7Ciid%3A1

That's the link.

Anywho, so I plugged it in, and it sort of worked, but the speedometer is way off, it thinks the bike is going like 4 times faster than it is, but not only that, the motor also makes a weird noise. I tried inverting the blue and green wires per description of ebay item and that didn't do any good.

Do any of yall have any ideas on how to move forward?

Any wiring things I can try?

Should I return and buy a new controller?

Should I drop my motor set up entirely and just get a new motor and controller?

Thanks for your help!

Phillip

First, try your old controller, with exactly the same hall and phase wiring combination (of colors) that it worked with before. If it all works like it should, then the motor is fine.

If it doesn't work with that one either, or the original, then there's a problem in the wiring or the controller.

If ti does work, then try the new controller again, but try using different combinations of phase and hall wires. Colors do not always match (it is uncommon for htem to do so) between controllers and motors even from the same "company".

There is a thread Determining the Wiring or a Brushless controler and motor (or something like that) in the Motor Technology forum, listed in the sticky index there, and another for Known to Work Wiring Diagrams in the same place, that show how to figure out the working combination for any particular motor and controller.

Thanks!

So you think this is just a wiring problem? I’ll look through the other forum for help with that.

When I do revert the controller, the motor does work fine with my controller, so it appears the motor is okay!

Then it's probably just a wrong phase hall combination, or a connection problem between motor and controller. Could be anything between teh connector that plugs into the motor cable to the controlelr itself.

amberwolf said:
Then it's probably just a wrong phase hall combination, or a connection problem between motor and controller.

Limited experience here, but I recall when I bought my motor and the controller separately, the controller came with the hall sensor wiring connector housing separate, and the wires were loose. I had to insert each into the housing to match the colors of the wires on the motor side. Is that usually the case? I'd check the order carefully.

Most of the time they come preassembled, of the ones I've seen, with no particular order, and even connectors don't always match types/brands/styles. :(

I've even seen that inside the controllers, that appear identical outside, the wires are soldered to the board in different color orders, so even if you had the connectors wired the same, they wouldn't work.

Similarly, motors of the same series from the same manufacturer (Fusin, 9C/MXUS) have either or both hall / phase wires soldered to the internal connection points in different orders from each other, so the same wire order does not work even on the same exact controller. :(

This isn't always the case, of course, but it happens.

Back