VESC Firmware version help

Paul_A

1 mW
I am just getting around to configuring my VESC. I recently got it from ollin board company and I assume it is version 4.11 or 4.12 on it. I am looking for an answer on how to configure the bldc tool and the VESC together. The program connects to the VESC but in a limited mode, because I do not have the most up to date firmware. However, is it safe to upgrade the firmware past the hardware version, or should I downgrade my software to meet the VESC?

The VESC will have the version number printed on the board. I got a Ollin VESC a couple months ago and it was a 4.11, just try and look under the heat shrink and see the number. Mine worked out of the box on 2.16 of BLDC Tool, but I know 2.17 is out now. What version of BLDC do you have installed?

4.11 and 4.12 should work on 2.16 or 2.17 AFAIK. I think you have to be like hardware version 4.7 or earlier for it to be a problem.

I have the newest downlad of the windows version of BLDC tool, and it says its for 4.17-4.8.
And I have 4.11 the VESC

so 4.7 is before 4.11 and 4.12?

Don't use the 4.17/4.18 version of the Windows BLDC. Someone found a bug that might cause the vesc to stop working. Not sure if it is already being fixed, but you should just use version 4.16 to be safe for now. If you have version 4.11 of the vesc, all you have to do is click on the "firmware" tab on the bldc tool, click on "choose...", go into "firmware" folder, open "hw_410_411_412" folder, select "VESC_default.bin". After that, click "upload" and wait for the vesc to finish update. You can find and download the 2.16 version from here: http://vesc.net.au/BLDC-TOOL/Firmware/OLD%20Firmware

Paul_A said:
When or where do I find out if the new versions are safe?
I'm not sure, but there is nothing wrong with using 2.16 for right now. If you really want the newest update with 2.18, you should install linux.

Back