Voilamart hub motor - intermittent fault - whining noise, loss of torque and shuddering at low speeds [hall sensor?]

jgoose

10 µW
Hi All,

I converted my first ebike around a year ago using a cheap eBay hub motor.

This has worked reasonably well for 1000+ miles but is now starting to develop a fault.

It is an intermittent fault that seems to happen randomly between putting the bike down and picking it back up. Essentially there is a not too loud whirring noise and the bike shudders when pulling off when it was perfectly smooth before.

From threads I have read I am wondering if this could be a hall sensor/wiring issue or if this is a common degradation issue with cheap hub motors?

Thanks for reading this far and any insights you all might have.

J

As a solution I've been considering buy a sine wave controller to replace the current 25a controller, not sure if any potentially cheaper solutions exist or if it's even really worth getting a sine wave controller in place of a standard one.

TIA, J

putting the bike down and picking it back up
Does this mean laying hte bike on it's side? If it gets laid on the side where wires come out of the axle (or anywhere wiring is exposed that could touch ground/etc), those wires can be damaged (even if the damage is not apparent on the outer sheath/covering, wires can be pinched or broken inside their insulation.

Connectors can also be pulled loose or contaminated (water intrusion, etc), from "normal usage", depending on type.

If the motor is used hard, and heats up under that usage, if it gets hot enough it can damage hall sensors, magnets, or wiring (insulation can melt and short things together). But this type of damage usually causes problems during all stages of use, and is not usually intermittent.

Regarding the problem you're having, assuming an issue with reading sensors, a sinewave controller is no different than a trapezoidal controller, if it still requires the hall sensors to operate. It might be quieter but it would still have the same problem. (unless it's a connection issue or wiring issue on the controller side of things, in which case replacing the controller would replace the connection/wiring, and make the problem go away).

jgoose said:
It is an intermittent fault that seems to happen randomly between putting the bike down and picking it back up. Essentially there is a not too loud whirring noise and the bike shudders when pulling off when it was perfectly smooth before.

Check your phase wire connectors to make sure they aren't loose, and the phase wires in general, for any breaks.

The fault seems to have developed a bit....

Every now and then when I push the throttle down there's a huge amount of resistance and clicking. Like you've all said I think the phase wires must be to blame somewhere. Have wiggled the wires going into the axle of the hub motor which sometimes seems to sort the issue so guessing this must be where the fault lies.

Has anyone come across a thread that shows how to disassemble a standard Voilamart hub motor to repair replace or uprate the phase wires?

will need to do either this or find somewhere I can buy an individual hub motor.

Hi Jgoose where you able to replace the Hall sensor ? I just started experiencing the exact same symptoms and when I connect an e-bike tester my green hall light stays lit, which I think means I have an issue with that Hall sensor. . I have the Voila 1000w rear wheel kit..

Back