What do you tihnk of this pre-built bike (1000w)

First of all, does hallomotor have a good rep here?

I am looking at this bike: http://www.hallomotor.com/2015-latest-super-mustang-mountain-e-bike-48v-1000w-electric-bike-with-48v-20ah-li-ion-bottom-discharge-battery-shima-hydraulic-disc-brakes-electric-bicycle.html

Seems to have:
- 48v 20ah samsung battery
- 1000w motor (and 'high quality 15 mofset controller'???)
- front and back disc brake
- 7 speed
- double wall rim on both front and back.
- front and back suspension
- lots of aluminium parts, including framw

Assuming $1300 bike, 200 sea shipping that is about $1700 USD, after duties + taxes and conversion to CAD the bike is about $2250 Canadian. Seems like a good deal (considering pre-built bikes in canada tend to be 500w or less for about $2000).

When I price out a bike I want to build with dual disc brake and 1000w I am looking at about $1500 CAD. Seems for an extra $700 I can have something pre-built and tested.

Am I missing anything obvious here?

It is very good as a retail price. the battery is very good if there are 20h of samsung cells. Also the frame is interesting. It is flawless as the specs rated

Controller, motor, charger, all fits ok each other.

But.. the import and shipping charges squish the cake :? .

Even with an around 2000$ of final price in home is not a bad deal.

hallomotor have a not bad reputation, they are a big supplier and have a broad market

Conis though, known for a decent bargain price motor kit.

As a bike, well the bike itself in this example is not a fine bike. Pretty much a bike shaped object. So it's a bargain if your needs are modest, like 500 miles a year of riding.

But I would not choose that for a pounding commute, like 3000+ miles a year. You'd need a new one every year, if not even more often. Or at least, a lot more maintenance per 1000 miles than a better bike.

Honestly, this entire thing is driving me crazy, I am very indecisive about all of this and spent many hours on this. I really want something good, but I do not want to pay more then what I need. And part of this is my high desire to have a real bike (like a 18/21 speed).

Right now the bike I linked overall seems solid. Dogman, can you point to anything specific you do not like about it?

My other option ive been considering is getting a lighter battery (like a 36v 20ah battery), and getting a smaller motor/controller 500w/750w and get a front wheel kit (so it can be mounted on a read bike seat post rack 9kg limit). That in theory could come to about $1000 cad...

Do you have mild bike maintenance/repair skills? Any electronic tech know-how? If so, I'd be looking for local non-working eBikes and/or wrap your head around a decent kit and put together what you want on a good quality used platform. Craigslist, Pinkbike, eBay (check shipbikes.com), etc.

Trouble is, there's the old Catch-22. 'Don't know what you want until you actually use one for a while. That's why I'd go dirt-cheap, learn the basics and then come back to the point of dropping around $1500 for a truly satisfying ride.

I can only report what has happened to me several times with very cheap, mass produced full suspension bikes, when I have ridden them long and hard on a daily commute.

The frames are not very strong from side to side, and actually soften up some after lots of riding. This is accelerated by carrying the groceries and other cargo on a rear rack all the time, and riding fast. The frame is just made from thin and weaker tubing than a higher quality bike using more expensive alloys.

So pretty soon, the frame just feels noodle soft, and the tail wags with every pedal stroke. You can look down, and actually see the frame bending back and forth from side to side. Not going to break, just wagging from side to side, making steering harder.

I've also worn out the rear wheel frame, softening it up till when you apply rim brakes the frame bends out instead of grabbing the rim. So rear brakes just fade away to nothing. ( worth noting, this bike has dual disc brakes)

This takes me from 500-1000 miles. What can I say, I ride the shit out of bikes! Riding fast, pedaling hard, stopping hard, all wear out the frame fast. While on the other hand, I have many thousands of miles on a sturdy, much more expensive full suspension frame, and no signs at all of wearing out anything on the bike other than tires, brake pads, and the occasional cable.

It's generally known as well, that such cheap bikes usually come with shitty saddles, and weak gears on the front cranks. So you could easily need to put $100 into some upgrades so it pedals smooth and doesn't hurt your butt. That stuff is fixable, the frame is not.

This does not mean all cheap frames are weak. The traditional steel beach cruiser frame can be incredibly strong! part of this is the nature of steel, cheap steel still very strong. And the traditional cruiser has extra tubes across the center, giving it a nice stiff feel.

Back