• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What do YOU use for a bike lock---security

auraslip said:
I want to hug you TV show for wasting four minutes of my life with out giving me any useful advice!

hehe, sorry bout that. I'm going to remove that video as I see a couple of people here have explained things much better than the vid and in a lot less than 4 min.

auraslip said:
Thanks ex-criminal for making my u-lock feel worthless.

I want to hug you TV show for wasting four minutes of my life with out giving me any useful advice!

A chain lock like the kryptonite new yorker would have stopped that perticular guy, as well as most anyone not using diamond-dust hacksaws or an angle grinder.

I'm trying to think of a lightweight solution that can stop a thief with power tools. So far all I've thought of is something like a thick soft chain (to give maximum cutting time duration) dipped in a rubberized coating that is packed with an inhaleable fast acting poison that would be atomized by the high speed cutting action and heat, but otherwise harmless for the user to handle.

Or maybe a solid chemical material covering the surface of the chain that off-gasses an intense inhaled poison when it reaches temps over 250f. Then this coating could be rubber dipped to protect the user of the lock from it. The heat at the surface of the power tool cutting would release the gas.

A thick linked soft alloy stainless steel chain would be ideal for generating a lot of heat as you're zipping through it with a grinder or diamond hacksaw. Lots of soft stainless galling and clogging on the blade makes for a large amount of heat.

A non-poison method would be better though.

Anyone have any ideas?

mud2005 said:
auraslip said:

hehe, sorry bout that. I'm going to remove that video as I see a couple of people here have explained things much better than the vid and in a lot less than 4 min.

Its very good for people to see that video. It sure as hell doesn't teach or show a bike thief any new tricks or tools, he used the most crude and common of tools and methods.

What it does is to show good people who own bikes and wish to protect them that the methods they use only provide an illusion of security. This illusion, no matter how comforting, or how much you don't like to have it taken away was doing nothing to help protect your investment, and actually putting it more at risk by causing the user to be fooled into thinking there bike is somehow secured from anything more than somebody with no tools who just wants to grab a bike a run/ride away.

liveforphysics said:
Anyone have any ideas?

Yup...slip on a carbon filtered respirator mask

pc531_sml.jpg

you will also be safe from swine flu!

before cutting the coated chains :mrgreen: LOL...

With the manual and electric lock pick guns available of the interwebz
thieves dont even needz to have skillz :?

KiM

A non-poison method would be better though.

I dunnu man. Stealing someones method of transportation is pretty low.

Also if they new it was poison they wouldn't try. Kinda like peeing in pools at six flags releases those dark chemicals.

Still probably wouldn't stop the law suits from people dumb enough to try though.

auraslip said:
I dunnu man. Stealing someones method of transportation is pretty low.

Lowest of the low, unfortunately theirs too many in this world that
want everything for little effort and duly believe whats yours is theirs
and don't think twice about permanently borrowing it from you :-S

Best you can do is deter the less equipped and make it harder for the rest.

KiM

i use some reasonably thick chain to lock my bike up. but it only looks like a necklace compared to Gestalt's chain lock :wink: this is my first time taking my bike up to school(and im hoping it will make many more trips) and while i was locking up my bike, i couldnt help but notice that everyone else had u-locks locking up their bikes.

i also thought to myself since there is an area at my school to lock up your bikes, scooters, and motorcycles, shouldnt i try to hide my bike between the other bikes on the rack so it would be less noticeable? the only thing that really looks out of place is the huge chainring on the rear wheel and the motor tucked into the frame.
IMG_0171.jpg

notice the other two bikes beside mines are locked up with a u-lock. i really felt as if my lock was sub-par after seeing that

Don't be impressed by their U-locks buddy.

A U-lock gives something solid to pry against. A chain of equal material thickness is tougher to get through.

auraslip said:
Besides using them as a bludgeon to smash would be bike thieves heads, how effective are u-locks?

All bikes locks are equally effective against kids and people walking by who might otherwise grab and run with an un-locked bike.

The next step up in a lock doesn't matter the design much, but is something made of a material with equal toughness to that of the edges of the jaws in bolt cutters. This costs some $$$, but it would have absolutely stopped the guy in that video. There are only a few locks offered of materials like this, the kryptonite new yorker being one of them, and I think all the locks in this range cost around $150 or more. Something like a chain is more of a PITA to get through because the links want to flop around as you try to cut, and it doesn't lend to firmly binding against something to pry against it without tightening up around the bike frame tight enough to crush the thin tubing of any bike frame worth stealing in the first place.

No lock, no matter how much you pay for it (unless it has some active method to hurt/stop/poison the persons using a power tool on it ) can resist a diamond blade in a power hacksaw. It will simply gobble through the hardest of steels like candy. And if they melt a $2 blade down before they get through the lock, it takes 5 seconds to swap to a fresh blade and continue.

Something like a chain is more of a PITA to get through because the links want to flop around as you try to cut, and it doesn't lend to firmly binding against something to pry against it without tightening up around the bike frame tight enough to crush the thin tubing of any bike frame worth stealing in the first place.

That's probably the advice I was looking for. Deterrence through clangorous noise!

I saw this bike lock that stayed mounted on the frame and was spring loaded. I think it was called "Amsterdam style". It locks the front wheel to the frame. I thought it was cool because:

A: It seemed like it would take seconds to lock your bike up.
B: The small size of the lock and proximity to the tire meant that it would hard to cut through it with out damaging the wheel.

My dream is a thumb print sensor that would lock both wheels in the same manner. I know the lawyers would go crazy for that, if it some how locked up while riding. But the speed that you could secure your bike for popping into a store or what not would be awesome.

While searching for the "amsterdam style" bike lock I was disappointed to find this:

45700.jpg

Disappointed because now I have to get rid of my old topeak rack and drop $60 on this one ;( I think it comes with a U-lock, so at least I'll be able to sell the one I have now.

I also found this http://www.streetfilms.org/hal-and-kerri-grade-your-bike-locking/ "rate your locking job video. It's crazy how many locks you need in the big city! I live in a medium size college town, and people use TINY locks. No problem!

Also I see your poisonous lock and raise you a rooster +4 of vigilance.
Nzfkm.jpg

liveforphysics said:
Its very good for people to see that video. It sure as hell doesn't teach or show a bike thief any new tricks or tools, he used the most crude and common of tools and methods.

ok, video returned :D

Here is the biggest kryptonite new york lock. It was filmed by a security camera. The guy spent less than 2 minutes total to choose the bike to steal, cut the lock, and ride away.

This is what well chosen pocket sized hand tools do to quality locks:

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

The kryptonite fahgetaboutit chain takes something like 25 seconds to snip through with 42" bolt cutters, which is a hell of a lot harder tool to carry and ride away with than a little pocket sized power tool, and it would be extremely difficult to snip alone with smaller bolt cutters. The floppy links of a chain also make it a PITA to use power tools on because it wants to flop around. This makes it a pretty darn good choice.

Almax 19mm chain and a lock with enclosed shackle would be a pretty big upgrade the best kryptonite offerings. I think you could safely call it immune to attacks from non-powered tools. But in a world where the required cordless powered tool options are pocket sized, available, and cheap, I don't see much bother in doing more than the fahgetaboutit or almax chain.

I just got another idea for a lock. :)

Thin wall hollow steel tubing, perhaps 1" diameter so it can't fit into the jaws of bolt cutters.

Enclosed inside the tube, a few ribbons of magnesium or titanium, and the rest of the lock body filled with flash-powder (well, maybe only 40grams or so if you just want to remove the hands rather than ensure a mortal wound).

It's lightweight to carry.
All bolt cutters are useless because of it's diameter, so it requires power tools.
It could be made for a low price due to using no difficult to work with materials or hardening.
It self-enforces.

Scenerio

Bike thief:
What a light weight piece of crap, I will be through this in 10 seconds.
It's so soft, and it sparks like mild steel, it cuts so easily!
BANG!!!! OMG OMG OMG My hands are stubs!!! I'm blinded! I've got pieces of cheap thin wall tubing stuck in my face and body!
This was a very bad day.

Hahaha. That's great. Exploding locks.

Sigh...I wish we lived in a world where we could get away with doing that.

Hopefully it won't pop if you just drop it.

Did Kryptonite send you a new lock at least?

liveforphysics said:

Thin wall hollow steel tubing, perhaps 1" diameter so it can't fit into the jaws of bolt cutters.

How about thin wall tube filled with concrete/crush stone mix? be heavy but would slow down an angle grinder
& bolt cutters the diamond saws though dunno?

KiM

liveforphysics said:

Enclosed inside the tube, a few ribbons of magnesium or titanium, and the rest of the lock body filled with flash-powder (well, maybe only 40grams or so if you just want to remove the hands rather than ensure a mortal wound).

It's lightweight to carry.
. . .
Just fill it with mustard gas or something.
Maybe a stink bomb that leaves the culprit smelling dead and dyed red for a few days.

Put uninsulated wires along the length of the chain (chain would be insulated of course) and hook up an eBay stun gun. If they touch your lock, they're dead! Of course, you would have to make it so the wires couldn't short out on the frame or bike rack.

Luke,

With regards to power tools... a bit OT but can you imagine when the first eBike theft on video is captured and the theif uses the pack on the eBike to power his 110 inverter and angle grinder?

-Mike

fizzit said:
Put uninsulated wires along the length of the chain (chain would be insulated of course) and hook up an eBay stun gun. If they touch your lock, they're dead! Of course, you would have to make it so the wires couldn't short out on the frame or bike rack.

Stun seat when keylock not used with grips and seat as electrodes... that would work, give a 20 second delay then ZAP.

-Mike

A theft deterrent system I saw in Honolulu's Chinatown when I was living on Oahu:

Attachments

• cockfighter whip.jpeg
    cockfighter whip.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 1,274
auraslip said:
I saw this bike lock that stayed mounted on the frame and was spring loaded. I think it was called "Amsterdam style". It locks the front wheel to the frame. I thought it was cool because:

A: It seemed like it would take seconds to lock your bike up.
B: The small size of the lock and proximity to the tire meant that it would hard to cut through it with out damaging the wheel.

That is a frame or ring lock as seen here - http://www.velo-orange.com/ringlock.html. I have one on my trike and it is great for short stops as it engages in about 2 seconds flat and simply wont let the bike be ridden away. I guess you could try lifting the back wheel and walking it off somehwere but with a hub motor in the rear wheel my trike is pretty heavy and thus it is an awkward thing to do! You can also get a cable that fits in the locking mechanism to loop around nearby poles which would be handy for smaller two wheel bikes that could be carried off.

Back