Whats the basic layout for an E bike wiring harness

bigisland

10 W
I imagine it must be pretty straight froward, but I haven't come across any schematics yet. I have noticed what seems to be a lot of wires coming out of the controllers. So as I continue to think about setting up my fist bike and where I will locate the batteries and controller I am wondering about the wiring harness; how is it usually set up: schematic, what gauge wires (type and lengths), connectors, fuses. how easy is it to hook everything up together, does every thing with the basic stuff "plug and play".

Thanks

Breaking it down into basics:

battery to Controller. 2 wires, red and black. 10Guage is best. 12 is acceptable. 14 guage is common. Fuse goes on the Positive (red) wire**

Controller to motor, Main Power. 3 wires. Blue, Yellow, Green. 12-14 guage is common.
Controller to motor, hall sensors. 5 wires. red, black, blue, yellow, green. 24-26 guage.

Controller to throttle. 3 wires. Sometimes 4. Colors vary. usualy black, red, yellow. Blue for 4th wire when present. 24-26 guage. (4th wire is for battery light on the controller, but isn't needed for functioning)

Controller to brakes. 2 sets of 2 wires, Red and black. 24-26 guage. Un-needed to function

Controller to CA. *Optional* 6 wires. Colors vary. 24-26 guage if present.

Controller Speed restrictor. 2 wires, white, 24-26 guage. OEM option. These wires when hooked together limit the power to the motor. leave them unhooked.

There can be 2 additinal plugs, 5 pin on the controller. 1 is for the PAS, the other for Cruis controll. they may not be present.

Essentualy, you only need the throttle, battery, Motor, and hall sensor wires to be connected. Nothing else needs to be connected

** Some controllers have 2 red wires going to the battery connector. the thinner wire is for a switch. Best Practice is to leave off the switch and have both wires connect to the battery unless you are using higher than normal voltage. The battery should always be completely disconnected when not in use.

Thanks Drunk Skunk,

So when you buy the controller, hub, battery,throttle do they usually have connectors on them that match up?

So in actuality when you get the different components what do you do to make up your wiring harness.
Just plug everything together
cut off connectors that may come on components and splice in wire length as need
buy your own connectors make up your own jumpers between components

If they do then do they just have a standard length wire that is usually significant?

Are the controller to motor wiring color connections standard in the industry, for example if you have a hub with the 8 wires coming out in the colors you list and there are no connectors is it just a mater of matching uo the colors to the controller?

If the controller is for a direct plug in CA does it have a connector that matches the CA or do need to put you own on?

Also just reading some stuff here about Lipo, what does the 12S or 18S designation before the Vols represent?

Thanks

A controller with direct plug in CA should have the correct plug to match a CA.

A good kit will come with matching plugs, long enough wire for most normal bikes, etc.

Once you start creating a kit, then you can expect to need various connectors, and maybe even lengths of wire.

Good vendors like Lyens, will help you figure out the connections for thier controllers. He knows the color match for the wiring to the most common motors.

Last controller I got from him, came with a wonderfull bag of all the matching connectors :mrgreen: 8) .

The following links might also give you a general idea of what's involved with the average installation:

Ebikekit installation link:

http://e-bikekit.com/company/support/installation.html

AmpedBikes installation video and pdf link:

http://www.ampedbikes.com/video.html

ebike.ca Infineon "CA" ready controllers (click controller image for pin-out details, etc).

http://ebike.ca/store/store_controllers.php

Golden Motor installation w/schematic pdf:

http://www.goldenmotor.com/e-Bike-DIY/GoldenMotor%20Pro-Kit%20User%20Guide.pdf

I was thinking along the lines of buliding you own harness . If all the components come with a connector? Can yoy find matching ones. or do the components come with out em an you buy sets?

Normally everything comes with connectors on it. If you get them from places like ebikes.ca, all the parts of a kit will already be able to just plug right in.

If you want to make your own harness that stays on the bike, yet allows you to take off any part of the kit easily without undoing a bunch of zip ties or something, you could purchase matching connectors for the existing ones (for instance, from ebikes.ca, they also sell extra connector packs with pins), or you could start over with your own choice of connectors (if you want them waterproof, for instance).

Back