What's the smallest diameter direct drive motor?

keyne

100 W
What's the smallest diameter DIRECT-DRIVE motor? Is there anything smaller than the crystalyte 400 series?

IMHO don't go for a smaller diameter than a Crystalyte 4 motor because:
1/ Smaller diameter means more torque required wich means a greater current drawn from battery unless it has really trick magnets.
2/ There's a trade-off in size. The 4 series uses reare earth Neodymium magnets which are (I assume) are the strongest commercially available that make economic sense. To get a greater field strength required for a smaller diameter motor to be effective, you would need unobtainium magnets. :wink:
3/ Going by my experience with a 4 series motor, you'd be dissapointed with the performance with a smaller diameter. I have a few steep hills on my commute going home and have to get out of the saddle and help the motor with quite a bit of grunt to get over them. A smaller diameter would be worse.

If your reason for going smaller is to be discrete, so far it's only been the tech-savvy observers that have asked me "is that a motor in your rear hub?" More generally it's been "how did you get up that hill so easily?"

Small diameter is usually geared. If you are wanting regen, Fusin is experimenting with gearmotors that don't freewheel for regen braking. I'll be testing one soon, I have the motor, but am waiting on the controller. ES member louispower is the guy to contact for one.

Back