Looking for easier tire installation

I recall using vise grips on the 23 x 700 tires of my old stubborn Canondale road bike. The rim had rim "tape" of solid plastic, filling up the channel (i.e. not removable). With the vise grips, plus 4 metal levers and soapy water the tire went on finally.

Plastic always breaks for me. I use these and have no problem field changing a tire and I run stiff Marathon Plus tires. Never had scratching problems either.

61Y0O1skgDS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This product might help. Instead of rim strip, they are small plastic "buttons" that you pop into the spoke holes on a dual wall rim. Should create more space for the opposite side of the tire to slide into when you are struggling to pull the other side over the rim edge.

P1040665.JPG

P1040667.JPG

P1040668.JPG

This product might help. Instead of rim strip, they are small plastic "buttons" that you pop into the spoke holes on a dual wall rim. Should create more space for the opposite side of the tire to slide into when you are struggling to pull the other side over the rim edge.
That is maybe a solution! If I buy those caps, maybe will tire border go deeper in middle of rim and will be easy to install!

Now I am in period of buying new tires. I will see how it will be for install. If it's still going hard, I will definitely test this method! Thank you!!

Back