• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Which Battery is this?

kudos

10 kW
Someone asked me to take a look at their electric bike because it isn't working well, it works by pedal assist but doesn't seem to be assisting much.

I took a look at the battery and even though it's been charged it was only ready about 0.4 volts. They actually have two of these bikes and tried the second charger but same, so it looks like the battery is now gone.

It's probably some generic Chinese battery and I'm hoping someone on here might be able to tell me what it is or where you can buy another one.

Theres no info on the battery enclosure but I am told the manual states it's 10 Ah. Strangely it says the voltage is 24-36 V, so I don't know which it is 24 or 36.

Does anyone recognise this???

null_zps07410c27.jpg

null_zps31e3b852.jpg

null_zpseff0b189.jpg

null_zps646ccf9d.jpg

null_zps84074830.jpg

null_zps0cb6b054.jpg

You might have a controler in the black box below the battery (on the bike). 24V or 36V might be written on the controler. Just unscrew to open this box (under the bike I suspect).

IMG_2957.JPG

Controler is under this plate.

IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

Nominal voltage written on controler.

Alternatively you can measure voltage output of the charger. If battery is LiPo should be near 30V for "24V" and near 42V for "36V".

Looks like I might have found it on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Li-ion-Battery-for-electric-bicycle-e-bike-24V-36V-10Ah-LiFePO4-/321210109824?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=510159704667&hash=item4ac99d4f80

Kudos

It's a standard silver fish battery that's fitted to loads of bikes. If you order a new one, check that the polarity is correct to save blowing the caps in your controller. Some people reported slight compatibility issues on the base-plate, so I'd recommend getting one from BMSBattery because theirs comes with the base-plate and lock-bar, so is sure to fit.

There might be nothing wrong with your existing battery. Did you measure the voltage with it switched on? Did you check both fuses? You should also measure the voltage on the charge socket (outer 2 pins) because it's often the key-switch that goes faulty due to bad soldering.

Even if all that doesn't show a fault, It's always worth taking the top off to check the individual cell voltages because if they're OK,it can be revived. I'm given lots of those batteries to fix, and 3 out of 4 of them are simple fixes to revive them.

Looks like what is produced by EVE Energy Co., Ltd. out of China. It is a Lithium Ion Polymer. :D

Back