• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Wiring 2 cellogs and chargers to 12s

tome

100 mW
I have a 12S Enerdel battery that I purchased from Major on the forum, great guy to deal with by the way!

I want to hook two Celllog8s to the pack. For the second Celllog8s do I connect the negative (first) lead to cell 9 negative (also cell 8 positive) or do I connect that to the cell 0 (aka gnd) connection and the second lead to cell 9 negative? I assume the former as otherwise the Celllog would measure the voltage from 0-8 rather then just cell 9 but I don't have a schematic of the celllog and want to verify.

In a similar vein I want to hook up two BC168 chargers to simultaneously charge the pack. I have two isolated DC supplies to power each BC168 separately. Again, does the negative (first) lead of the second BC168 go to cell 0 (gnd) or to the negative lead on cell 7? By the way, has anyone actually done this with the BC168? Can it handle being wired together like this?

And thirdly, if I buy two 6s standard balance chargers that can charge through mains (say CellPro 6s), is it possible to hook these up on the pack together in a similar way? If so, what do you do with the mains leads on the second charger?

Thanks,
Tom

tome,

You should use two 6 cell balance leads from the 12S module. That way you can use 6S balance chargers. So just use the first 6 channels for each of the CellLog8s. And when wiring the 6S balance leads to the cells, positive on cell #6 is common to negative on cell #7. Balance lead set A for cells 1 - 6 and balance lead set B for cells 7 - 12. Use a 7 pole JST for each. Those will work for both the CellLog8s and the BC168 or other balance chargers.

major

edit-photo added:
file.php

You can see two CellLog8s connected to an EnerDel 12S module. The bottom CL shows cells 1-6 and the upper CL shows cells 7-12. Each has a 7 pole JST connector. The red wire on the lower one is common to the black wire on the upper one at the junction to the ribbon cable on the module.

tome said:
And thirdly, if I buy two 6s standard balance chargers that can charge through mains (say CellPro 6s), is it possible to hook these up on the pack together in a similar way? If so, what do you do with the mains leads on the second charger?

Careful! You cannot connect the mains leads from a 6S charger across the 12S pack. To charge the 12S pack with a 6S mains charger you'd have to access mid pack (positive on cell #6).

major said:
tome said:

Careful! You cannot connect the mains leads from a 6S charger across the 12S pack. To charge the 12S pack with a 6S mains charger you'd have to access mid pack (positive on cell #6).

Do you know of any 12S chargers?
Thanks,
Tom

major said:
tome,

You should use two 6 cell balance leads from the 12S module. That way you can use 6S balance chargers. So just use the first 6 channels for each of the CellLog8s. And when wiring the 6S balance leads to the cells, positive on cell #6 is common to negative on cell #7. Balance lead set A for cells 1 - 6 and balance lead set B for cells 7 - 12. Use a 7 pole JST for each. Those will work for both the CellLog8s and the BC168 or other balance chargers.

You can see two CellLog8s connected to an EnerDel 12S module. The bottom CL shows cells 1-6 and the upper CL shows cells 7-12. Each has a 7 pole JST connector. The red wire on the lower one is common to the black wire on the upper one at the junction to the ribbon cable on the module.

Thanks that is what I had assumed. I like your idea of using 6 off each Celllog vs 8 from one and 4 from the other.
Thanks!
Tom

tome said:
major said:
tome said:

Do you know of any 12S chargers?
Thanks,
Tom

Yes, Thunder 1220. You saw it when your were down but I didn't have it hooked up and running. Steve, the other guy who stopped by also bought one. It works very well. There are a few threads about it here. http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-1220-charger.html Where I bought mine. Charges nicely but is very slow to balance the 35Ah pack. That is why I was looking at the BC168.

edit. I also use the two 6 cell balance lead sets with JST connectors for the Thunder 1220. Just make sure they are properly oriented low and high. I verified with a voltmeter and then marked the leads so I get the most negative cell into the correct slot (#1).

major said:
Yes, Thunder 1220. You saw it when your were down but I didn't have it hooked up and running. Steve, the other guy who stopped by also bought one. It works very well. There are a few threads about it here. http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-1220-charger.html Where I bought mine. Charges nicely but is very slow to balance the 35Ah pack. That is why I was looking at the BC168.

edit. I also use the two 6 cell balance lead sets with JST connectors for the Thunder 1220. Just make sure they are properly oriented low and high. I verified with a voltmeter and then marked the leads so I get the most negative cell into the correct slot (#1).

Cool, thanks.
Tom

Luckily Thunder 1220 and Hyperion 1420 are reverse polarity protected. They will (at least on mine) just give an error message if you get the 6S cables reversed. I don't know about the main leads, since I have never (not yet anyways) reversed positive and negative on either charger.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Luckily Thunder 1220 and Hyperion 1420 are reverse polarity protected. They will (at least on mine) just give an error message if you get the 6S cables reversed. I don't know about the main leads, since I have never (not yet anyways) reversed positive and negative on either charger.
otherDoc

That's good to know about the charger protection, but reversing the order of the 2 balance plugs will short 6 cells across the flexible circuit BMS connector in the EnerDel module and fry a trace or two. Just be sure to always have the most negative in slot #1.

Back