XH18 on Tongsheng hub motor controller

caleb7

1 W
I have (probably unusual) Tongsheng controller for Bafang hub motor on my ebike. It came with VLCD6 display and recently I ordered an XH18 display for a LCD display upgrade (normally I think these displays are compatible with Tongsheng mid drive controller).

The problem is I was almost sure that VLDC6 on my bike has a circular 6 pin connector (I don't see any other version on the web). However mine has a 5 pin SM connection (see the picture). The new XH18 display has 6 pin waterproof connector. I just thought if I cut the cables and connect the match the colors, the new display would work. I tried that but not all colors are the same on the cables and there is 1 additional wire on the new display.

Somehow I could make the new XH18 power on, by matching black and green wires only to first 2 wire on controller (to black and blue). The display would turn on but it displayed like battery is empty. Motor, speed info etc. didn't work (the display doesn't show any error though, it just thinks I'm staying at 0km/h). I tried a few other wire combinations (except I didn't touch that two wires) but that doesn't change anything and I just put the old LCD back before damaging anything. Thankfully nothing was damaged.

Does anybody have an advice or this display is just incompatible with the controller? Thank you!

Attachments

• Tongsheng hub motor controller.jpg
    Tongsheng hub motor controller.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 987
  • VLCD6 connection.jpg
    VLCD6 connection.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 981
caleb7 said:
I have (probably unusual) Tongsheng controller for Bafang hub motor on my ebike. It came with VLCD6 display and recently I ordered an XH18 display for a LCD display upgrade (normally I think these displays are compatible with Tongsheng mid drive controller).

The problem is I was almost sure that VLDC6 on my bike has a circular 6 pin connector (I don't see any other version on the web). However mine has a 5 pin SM connection (see the picture). The new XH18 display has 6 pin waterproof connector. I just thought if I cut the cables and connect the match the colors, the new display would work. I tried that but not all colors are the same on the cables and there is 1 additional wire on the new display.

Somehow I could make the new XH18 power on, by matching black and green wires only to first 2 wire on controller (to black and blue). The display would turn on but it displayed like battery is empty. Motor, speed info etc. didn't work (the display doesn't show any error though, it just thinks I'm staying at 0km/h). I tried a few other wire combinations (except I didn't touch that two wires) but that doesn't change anything and I just put the old LCD back before damaging anything. Thankfully nothing was damaged.

Does anybody have an advice or this display is just incompatible with the controller? Thank you!
Open the controller and take some good pictures of the board and the place to where wires are connected - that may give some information that can be useful to understand what which wire does.

I have done it; LCD display wires are marked by me on the pictures. Thicker cables are most likely motor phase cables.

As I said, brown and black wires lets me turn on the display. I'm not an expert on electronics but black is probably GND. I am not sure what is the brown one. I'm not even sure if it turns on with wrong connections.

I have also attached the HIGO-B6-B diagram I found on the web. Because the wire colors of display matches with it.

This is the pairing that let me turn on the display:

LCD Display wire - Controller wire
1. Orange -
2. White -
3. Brown -
4. Green - Blue
5. Black - Black
6. Violet - (leave this one?)

I've tried a few combinations including "TSDZ2 harness" pinning but it didn't work (hopefully the new LCD isn't silently damaged)

Attachments

• KT_LCD3_interface_cable.jpg
    KT_LCD3_interface_cable.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 950
  • TSDZ hub controller circuit 1.jpg
    TSDZ hub controller circuit 1.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 947
  • TSDZ hub controller circuit 2.jpg
    TSDZ hub controller circuit 2.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 946
caleb7 said:
I have done it; LCD display wires are marked by me on the pictures. Thicker cables are most likely motor phase cables.

As I said, brown and black wires lets me turn on the display. I'm not an expert on electronics but black is probably GND. I am not sure what is the brown one. I'm not even sure if it turns on with wrong connections.

I have also attached the HIGO-B6-B diagram I found on the web. Because the wire colors of display matches with it.

This is the pairing that let me turn on the display:

LCD Display wire - Controller wire
1. Orange -
2. White -
3. Brown -
4. Green - Blue
5. Black - Black
6. Violet - (leave this one?)

I've tried a few combinations including "TSDZ2 harness" pinning but it didn't work (hopefully the new LCD isn't silently damaged)

Violet and RED and probably battery high voltage - measure with a multimeter between black wire and that two.

I would expect 2 wires for UART communication with LCD and other 2 or 3 wires for brake sensors, and maybe 1 for throttle??

Seems I'll need to get a multimeter first. I'll get this in a few days (or just take the risk trying).

My controller has separate cables for throttle and brake, they're not included in this 5 wire (I think you're aware of it). So yes, throttle and brake sensors go directly to the controller. Thank you for the help.

I have no idea what about the XH 18 display wires' purposes and I couldn't find on the web. I'd be glad if you shared it with me (if you know, of course).

These are wires from XH18 (numbers match with connector image below):

1. Orange -
2. White -
3. Brown -
4. Green -
5. Black -
6. Violet -

higo-b6-b.jpg

caleb7 said:
I have no idea what about the XH 18 display wires' purposes and I couldn't find on the web. I'd be glad if you shared it with me (if you know, of course).
See on TSDZ2 firmware wiki the information - the wires functions should be just the same.

It worked! The violet/brown and red were indeed P+ and "Vin".

For anyone trying to connect a XH18 to TSDZ hub motor controller (Tongsheng powertrain), here is the wiring worked on my controller (try at your own risk):

Controller - Function - XH18 display

Orange - Uart RX - Orange
Yellow - Uart TX - Brown
Red - Vin - White
Brown - Power+ - Green
Black - GND - Black

Violet on XH18 is not connected to anything.

Attachments

• XH18.jpg
    XH18.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 922
  • TSDZ hub controller circuit display wiring.jpg
    TSDZ hub controller circuit display wiring.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 925
my problem with XH-18+tsdz2 mid drive controller running OSF is, the odometer resets all the time.

Other than that all is good.

Any idea?

Back