Y-pedal's two stage RC drive..........

LOL @ Matt....yes i would of asumed some duct tape would be a certainty YPedal MaNz

Personally i wouldnt be mounting the packs where you intend too, i would reconfigure the packs so they
are one pack wide and hang one pack each side of the top tube same as Matt.P and Luke have done on their MTBs.
You got 8 packs haven't you? 4 either side of the top tube wouldn't interfere with the pedaling.

Please think about a 24in wheel for the rear too buddy, its not a frock motor you don't need a 20in
No offence intended Ypedal MaN but it ruins what could
be a very nice looking bike IMHO.

KiM

lol.. no offence taken ( because.. you are wrong !! :eek: ) hmpf..

But on a serious note, this bike is what it is for now, i do have a 24" rim for the Nuvinci but would have to order more spokes, re-lace it, deal with even more gearing problems with limited options on this frame.... nope.. it's staying the way it is at least for this year, i've put too much money into it and far too little ride time ( sound familiar ? ) it needs to run even if it has to be ugly and i'm willing to use Duct Tape... :oops: but the black stuff at least. :wink:

The ride is very nice with the 20/24 however, upright seat position with both feet flat on the ground with ass on the seat, exactly the way i like it.

One way or another.. this bike is getting driven with 48v 20ah LiPo ..Tomorrow ! :twisted:

Ypedal said:
lol.. no offence taken ( because.. you are wrong !! :eek: ) hmpf..

But on a serious note, this bike is what it is for now, i do have a 24" rim for the Nuvinci but would have to order more spokes, re-lace it, deal with even more gearing problems with limited options on this frame.... nope.. it's staying the way it is at least for this year, i've put too much money into it and far too little ride time ( sound familiar ? ) it needs to run even if it has to be ugly and i'm willing to use Duct Tape... :oops: but the black stuff at least. :wink:

LoL...yes we know you frock fan bois think the 26-24 front and 20in rear on a MTB is the look trust me, it ain't YPedal MaN haha :mrgreen:

On a serious note :lol: yes i know exactly what you mean by lotsa money and limited action :p ...also, have you seen the digitial camo
duct tape? it looks quite snazzy. Your bike would be near invisible in an urban environment if you covered it with this
talk about stealth hehe. You could also make yourself a Duct Tape digital camo tuxedo! to complete the look :mrgreen:

KiM

p.s either way HURRY THE FARK UP we want to see video of this sucker on Lipo and your reaction after it :mrgreen:

p.s.s your holidays are comming to an end too ain't they mate? back to work soon is it? joy joy :mrgreen: :lol:

Ypedal said:
Week 1 is over.... :cry:

2 more weeks to go tho ! :p

OH!! i thought it was only 2 weeks ripper...a drunzored YPedal MaN for another two weeks woohooo hehe

This will give you ample time to get this puppy performing.. :: cough :: place an order ::cough:: for spokes :: cough :: :mrgreen:

Alternatively buddy...have you thought about upping the stakes to moped rims and/or motorcycle tires on 20in rims, this is my favourite
look of all on a mtb looks so super motard like

Picture096.jpg

You did say many pages back it was going to be 20s front and back...i gather pedal strike put you off? 160-165mm cranks
and the larger motorcycle tires/rim combo would give you a heap of clearance!

KiM

ahhh colby's bike, damn good for the sum of its parts!!
im with Kim here Y, never been a fan of the penny farthing look, sure you cant sneak a 24 in there?
Do you really need 20ah in one hit? i'd slim those packs down and get em in the frame (4) altho i definately know the pain of all change!!!
ride it as is for a bit, all changes can be done in the winter, be here soon enough thats for sure.
Looking forward to the vid/write up of the lipo, sure is a lot of power in them suckers.

D

Nice Rig !!!... 8) i like those 20's !

update : I have both positive P cables done, will post pictures in a bit.. working on the negative wires now..

Both packs are now mounted to the bike, and yes, it involves tape.... :eek: .. but she'll run like this for now ! :twisted:

12 more anderons and one more ballance lead pigtail......... i should be able to run !

go Y,

not at all jealous of your summer vacation :wink: as always, video man, video!!!

D

Video.. absolutely.... will fire one up ASAP.

Regarding the Parallel cables...

Found a strip of copper in my stash.. cut a 5mm band, sanded it up nice and clean.. stripped back all the cables ( 4 x 10awg leads, one for each pack, and 2 x for the output side with PP45's )

Attachments

• pcable1.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,160
With my Hakko 936 station set to MAX, fill with solder, flip, solder some more, repeat..

This Turnigy silicone wire is awsome !!!.. anything else would have melted into the solder joint making a mess of things but this silicone jacket remains in place while getting HOT>...

I tried with a butane torch but the heat canot be directed well enough and it was impossible..

2 down.. 2 to go.

Whew, gives me a headache just thinking about that much soldering!

I say hang the pack from the top tube inside the frame, with a brace on the seatpost tube. I just made a wood box for one of my bikes that holds 4 packs in a brick, with silicon cushions for the tubes. Working on the cinches still.

I haven't had a problem with anything under .07v difference. Around .8v is when I work harder to balance the pack, just cause it is almost .1v difference :lol:

Ok.. so .. was too late for a video but i did manage to go for a test ride....... OH MY frocking GOD>>>>>>>>>>>> :D :D :D

49v when i left home, 3.6ah later i'm still at 47.x volts, pure fun, efficient this machine is NOT but who gives a rats ass when you have 20ah on board ! :wink: ..... all good in my book.

The controller does get significantly hotter than before ( at 14 cell , 44v lifepo4 the controller remained pretty much cool no matter what i did ), if i run full tilt 100% throttle the controller does cool down but then i'm sucking back 30 to 40 amps .... i can back off the throttle and gear up to go the same speed at 20 amps with 75% throttle position. Will need more time on the road to figure that one out but those are the quick observations so far.

Bottom line = I'm happy with it !

Ypedal said:
efficient this machine is NOT but who gives a rats ass when you have 20ah on board ! :wink: ..... all good in

Exactly what i think when i see debates over minuscule difference in efficiency who gives a frock add another pack if your worried LoL...

You could of done a night video YPedal MaN you must be half cut now THIS would be the perfect time to also
practise WHEELIEEEEES!!! Wheeelies at night...when drunk...what could possibly go wrong I bet i could
talk Morpheous into it he's no chicken, you chicken YPedal MaN ? BAAAAAWK Bok bok bok :mrgreen: :lol: :p

KiM

Go Y!! Maybe you should take the CA off, might enjoy the ride better not knowing how many amps you are sucking. :lol:

I have to agree with the guys on the rear tire, but obviously with duct tape flapping behind you this is the least of your worries. :wink:

How peppy is this thing now? Are we talking 40 kph wheelies?

it makes me happy to hear you are happy Y :mrgreen:

D

lol.. yeah.. the night blind guy, drunk, on an experimental rig with enough lipo to level a house held on with tape and doing wheelies.... bah.. what could possibly go wrong.. :lol:

Belt slippage is a problem if i hit it hard, don't need any of that right now, this bike needs to run for at least a few hundred km before i intentionally kill it ( and follow up with an upgrade of some sorts lol )

I just plugged in the AC unit in my bedroom so i can get some sleep tonight, 26 celcius at 10pm is HOT around here.. been sweatin my balls off all day. I love the 18 to 20 celcius personally is where i'm comfortable, over 25 i slow down, over 30 celcius i'm useless..... don't know how the F you aussies do it..

Ypedal said:
I just plugged in the AC unit in my bedroom so i can get some sleep tonight, 26 celcius at 10pm is HOT around here..

Try over 30 at that time of night tiz what we had last summer haha...

I thought belt slip might have raised its ugly head...easy fix...chain drive :)

WHEELIEEEEEES YPedal MaN you don't need to see well use "The Force" :lol: baaaawk bok bok bok :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KiM

OH... hey... on the mayden voyage tonight i turned around at the Honda dealership ( who also sells Harley's ) and got to talking with the shop guys who told me that aparently some of the recent harleys use electronic Hall throttles !!!!. ...

anyone know anything about it ? me thinks this could be a cool source for better quality throttles !!!!!

Ypedal said:
anyone know anything about it ? me thinks this could be a cool source for better quality throttles !!!!!

Came out in ~2008 IIRC on the Harley Davison Road King... its called ETC or Electronic Throttle Control...

KiM

EDIT: Just called Frazer Motorcycles here in Perth (Local Harley Dealership) He couldn't give me any specifics on the throttle other than its a solid unit is order in only and cost ~AU138 for the throttle only. He couldn't even tell me if it was hall sensor, we need more info :!: :idea: ...I think this is a job for one man, **"some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring. And if you give him a really important job, he'll nick off and play croquet...All we know is... he's called Autobot-Like Miles"

** a line once used by Jeremy Clarkson on TV Show Top Gear when introducing The Stig

Back