Your Creation's Before & After Pics

Thanks for that.

Yes, I was not enjoying my rides, while riding in fear of my front end breaking off!! After re tightening my axle nuts and having them go about 1/4 turn, I figured that was enough of the aluminum fork. :shock:

Now that I've got it beefed up I can really enjoy my new vehicle... I use it for everything almost, my car may not get its new tags this year. Seriously!

Hello!
My trekkingbike with Bafang, 36V Motor!
Batterie is a 14s2p Konion (Li/Mn) with 55V.

The bike makes 24/28/37 Kph in the 3 "Gears" of the Controller.

Tires are the very good and new Schwalbe Marathon Extreme, 42.

I have to make it SLOWER, because 24 min speed is too fast, to be nicely slow...
The Batterie has 55V5A, and i own 3 Pieces of this!

So all together, i have 825 Wh.
Hope, you like it.

Stefan from Germany

cnat post the Foto, file is too big...what must i do?

You can see it under http://www.Pedelecforum.de
and "Mitglieder" and than "Trekkingrad 28"

gooldi said:
Hello!
My trekkingbike with Bafang, 36V Motor!
Batterie is a 14s2p Konion (Li/Mn) with 55V.

The bike makes 24/28/37 Kph in the 3 "Gears" of the Controller.

Tires are the very good and new Schwalbe Marathon Extreme, 42.

I have to make it SLOWER, because 24 min speed is too fast, to be nicely slow...
The Batterie has 55V5A, and i own 3 Pieces of this!

So all together, i have 825 Wh.
Hope, you like it.

Stefan from Germany

cnat post the Foto, file is too big...what must i do?
. . .

Use the tag for a link to the file.

My ebike too is an outlaw in this jurisdiction so it looks like a normal odd-ball bicycle. I pedal and can get 100 km range on 48V 18Ah NiMh with a 48A controller running a X5304. The bike weighs ~57kg and I'm ~65kg. I ride this hilly city in traffic at bicycle speeds and smoke scooters when so inclined.

[img]http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=13890
le Béte before

file.php

le Béte after

Zoot,

How do you support your battery packs? Are they just strapped in the Freeradical bags? Dig your setup man... :D

Chris

They were just tossed into the FreeLoaders in that pic. (Two 24V packs)
Later I moved them to panniers slung over the rack and hanging inside the FreeLoaders.

Before
P1250044.JPG
After
P5290720.JPG

[youtube]oGPPl_eaybY[/youtube]

48v12ah SLA
48v25amp controller
10ga power wire
Has the cruise control option
Running a 408 roadrunner hub
(all Crystolyte electronics)

Top speed motor only 24mph
Top speed pedal asst 30mph
Range:? have not had enuff time to get that far yet...so far has about 4mile runs on her and she is very powerfull running 20"

Note: Rider must lean forward to keep front wheel on the ground on hard take offs...LOL ooops! :oops:

First I want to thank Oatnut for his gracious loan of his photos or I wouldn't have any before shots. Coincidentally he is selling the same type of bike I started with in this thread. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10575

This is not my first post exactly but for the sake of argument I consider it my first "official" post. I want to thank all of you for being here I was very impressed after a few days of reading through the posts to see the level of professional content and wide range of experiences being shared. I feel like I have finally come in from the cold and found a place where I belong.

frame wrapped IMG_6816.JPG

The Tidal Force S-750 that I started with came in a box looking pretty much like this when I bought it on Ebay. I really had no idea of what a tremendous score I had pulled off until I opened the box and got to work. I was just glad to get my hands on a quality aluminum frame at a good price when I made the initial purchase.

frame 2 in boxIMG_6813.JPG

The model I got was the rare complete set except for wheels and included everything you see on Oatnut's list except the SRAM but mine had the front forks, which I do use. I began by setting up as a standard frame with all the components but I quickly found i wanted higher performance specs than came with it so that I could push for speed on a full road setup. I wanted to keep some low end gearing for climbing because I needed to have the ability to climb with no battery in the hills where I live.

On this note one problem I have experienced is breaking chains with no e-assist and climbing steep inclines. This was when I still had the SLA 12 AHr pack but the new 20 AHr Duct tape special isn't that much lighter that I think this won't occur again. I am starting to put master links in the tool kit for the road repair because just reinserting the pin with a chain tool doesn't seem to be good enough. I am open to some good suggestions on better quality (maybe titanium) chains that can handle the stresses but still be lightweight and narrow gauge.

Anyway I decided to pull off the 48t/38t/28t Suntour crankset and replace it with a lighter weight aluminum and serviceable PC-1057 crank with a 55/40/30 configuration and 175 mm crank arms and caged pedals for safer, higher performance speed running. I also use a threaded type freewheel cassette that reduces the number of gears from 7 to 5 ( 11, 15, 20, 26, 30) so I could mount it on a rear, geared hub motor. This provides a 5:1 high end ratio that takes advantage of the sustainability of ebikes at cruise speed and a 1:1 low end ratio that can climb up hills with a loaded bike and no battery assist and get home. I also replaced the wonderful but larger and heavier than I now needed Shimano Acer set that came with the kit, with a Deore LX front and rear derailleur set.

crank bot IMG_6805.JPG

View attachment 1

The rear 26 inch wheel is a geared, internally freewheeled, brushed motor made for 24v Schwinns and I believe was rated 250 watts; though it seems to be much more powerful than that. I am running it at 36 volts on a shared 35 amp/100 amp peak controller that I adapted from scooter tech. More on that later but this configuration runs very cool and I do not experience any problems at this voltage and I suspect I could push it to 48 volts with the same positive result. I found in a series of earlier experiments that it is pointless to use the closer gearing more common on standard bicycles because having an ebike is in many ways is like riding a tandem and the power/performance ratio with respect to torque and speed allows much greater efficiency and performance under most conditions with a significantly wider gear ratio. This is an aspect that I design for and take advantage of whenever I can because the resulting performance curve is significantly wider and higher.

Another mod I see is pretty common here that I also employed is the use of heavier gauge #10 threaded wire. I adapted a high flex all weather household type 10-4 and built a trunk line out of it to go from the battery in back to the controller in front and then back to the rear wheel from the controller. I was able to install this inside the frame's pre-made ports for this purpose. One thing I would love to set pinned up front that many here take for granted might be a discussion on connectors and posts. Quality, types and sources. I have seen a few of you use the connectors out of heavy duty computer UPS's and recently I found out about them and was thinking of adapting them too but I for the time being have been just bolting wire sets together to save time, ensure minimal resistance and maintain serviceability. It is a little clunky at times and I have to be careful about wrapping them but I do not have wire disconnects, terminal corrosion and breaks anymore. I consider it an example of field KISS. I would like to adapt threaded insulted poles to this purpose from the auto industry so I can handle multiple circuits and use some fusible links. I put a 100 fusible link on the battery as insurance and I use a 12 - 65 volt DC, 40 amp circuit marine breaker switch as a master switch to protect the controller.

DSCF0616.jpg

Another mod I made to the Schwinn hub was to take advantage of the standard rear disk brake mounts that are on the S-750 frame and install a 3rd brake in the system. I found in the earlier prototypes that combining hills, high velocity, and higher mass ebikes with standard brakes is an invitation to accidents. The stopping distances were far too long and the heat and wear generated to great to rely on just the cantilever or V-Brakes no matter how good the Tektros that came with the bike are and they are great. So the 3rd brake on the rear makes a very big difference and what I did was put both Tektros on one handle and the disk on the other.

DSCF0626.jpg

In addition to the other mods I decided to use old fashioned 10 speed aluminum drop down bars instead of the really great TruAtiv bars that came with the kit so I could lower my wind profile more and I added a bell, halogen light, led flashers, a wireless computer, white reflector, bar-end shifters, and a thumb throttle. The set up is a little tight and not for 'easy riders'
but it works great even though it is only for serious bikers not the uninitiated. There is a lot of wrist strain from all the stretching and even with keeping the front shocks I notice shock strain on long distance rides too. I also always use Bell bike gloves when I ride.

DSCF0624.jpg

BTW the fairing that I adapted for the front wheel is adapted off an electric scooter that I cut in half and I use it not only for a fender but to hide the electronics and mount the controller in the optimal airstream above the front wheel. The deck also serves very well for my switches, which include a master, a controller, and an on/off for the rear wheel and places the controller in an optimal cooling location just above the front fork. I also have a 3 position switch I will be using for solar powered turn signals when I get past the next phase of mounting a hybrid generator on the rear deck. There is a red flasher/reflector built into the Bell seat too.

That is the reason I built the funny looking plywood rear deck over large, not because I needed a rear spoiler. :lol:

DSCF0622.jpg

You can also see in that picture how I adapted a power plate off a computer power supply to be the charging plug for the LifePO battery and also why I want to do surgery on the duct tape special. For now I am just putting the battery in this mounting for testing purposes but I hope to divide it up as I have seen done here and put it below the deck in a pannier configuration. In that shot you can see where I installed the 100 amp safety fuse for the battery and also the hybrid street tire I chose that has a very efficient road tread but is still pretty good in gravel and softer surfaces.

Originally I had the old steel rack that came with the Wilderness BD-36 front hub kit that makes this a dual motor bike but I found that rack tore itself up with the SLA load. So I am trying to both lighten and strengthen the new rack while reducing the weight on it. Anyway here is the final product that is obviously still going through trials and is meant to eventually have a small fueled generator mounted in back (along with addition load support bars and traffic lighting) to provide an unlimited range.

DSCF0620.jpg

DSCF06192.jpg

I live in some serious hills and the rear motor is switchable allowing me to sustain cruise speed (over 20 MPH) at climb under most road conditions though I eventually want it to have a sensor switch that turns it on and off based on tire rotation speed. My top speed so far was 72 plus MPH in a downhill. I have a pair of RoxShoxs I could switch too if that would be better but I found I tore apart a set of steel fixed forks on the first prototype anyway.

I should mention that I have heard about the issue of mounting a hub motor on the front shock forks and I will start looking into it more closely. I have a friend who has a brushless pedal start hub motor mounted on the same forks (same model) but we haven't observed a lot of wear on them yet and he has hundreds of miles on Florida pavement but I am going to start looking more closely. I guess a lot of the issue is how much it torques relative to load and the way I have set it up is meant to reduce that and distribute a lot of the torque to the rear wheel. But if this is a time bomb then we should address it before it blows and I am open to alternative shocking forks for this task but at the speeds I have been running I need to have a suspension up front to prevent steering loss and shock to my wrists and arms.

I can't tell you all enough how glad I am to find this community thanks to VRdublove who invited me and to finally join a group that shares the same goals I do. I look forward to a long relationship of idea sharing and who knows, if any of you are in the NYC regional area maybe we can collaborate even closer. Safe roads to you all.

Ok, this is my first e-bike build.

The bike is a 1994 Marin Team Issue, and has a nice chrome-moly frame. The tires are 26" street slick Specialized, the components are mostly Shimao XTR.

Marin Team Issue.jpg

I hooked it up with a 48v 10ah lifepo4 from ecitypower.com and an ecrazyman 48v 30amp controller, and the rear Nine Continent kit of course. It goes up to 45.5kph on flats without pedaling. I'm really looking forward to the delta/star mod, can't wait until I get the relay! I haven't tested the max range yet

011.jpg

The stock thumb throttle is a real pain, cause it wont fit on my handlebar the way I'd like, and with the shifters it got even worse. So I shortened the right handlebar grip. What do you think, should I get a twist throttle?

012.jpg

013.jpg

Achim

Elektrobiker said:
Anyway here is the final product that is obviously still going through trials and is meant to eventually have a small fueled generator mounted in back (along with addition load support bars and traffic lighting) to provide an unlimited range.

You've got some really innovative stuff going on there, nice work.

I found this generator idea particularly interesting... Almost one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments...lol. Have you sourced anything small enough that you could mount on the bike for that? Unlimited range...hmm, too good to be true?

Christobel931 said:
Elektrobiker said:
Anyway here is the final product that is obviously still going through trials and is meant to eventually have a small fueled generator mounted in back (along with addition load support bars and traffic lighting) to provide an unlimited range.

You've got some really innovative stuff going on there, nice work.

I found this generator idea particularly interesting... Almost one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments...lol. Have you sourced anything small enough that you could mount on the bike for that? Unlimited range...hmm, too good to be true?

Thanks Chris.

Actually Honda and Mitsubishi make some nice 25 and 35 cc 4 stroke engines commonly used for yard tools. They are currently popular for bike conversions too but generally as a straight drive.

I have in mind using a Honda GX-25 1.1 hp engine and I am looking in various types of brushless generators that I might be able to use as a starter motor/generator. The idea is to use a state of charge indicator and not let the battery go below 65% charge state to preserve its life and have a generator with enough push that when it runs it can both charge the battery and drive the electric motors. The generator will basically run at a steady rate with a governor to give it maximum efficiency. It would be nice to make a lot of this run by electronic sensors but for the moment simple switches and gauges will just have to do.

I own a Prius too and this is similar in principle to how they preserve battery life.

I looked into using a small diesel from RC aircraft but there are too many problems with adapting them to continuous running. I might try and find a small turbocharger and a larger muffler to make the gas engine both more efficient and quieter, My goal is a solid 35 mph cruise ability with unlimited range, the ability to climb a standard incline for 1 mile at 20 to 25 mph and a top end at or over 50 mph. A fuel-electric hybrid means there is no reason to stop for recharging and you still have the advantages of a plug in hybrid. I really want to try and keep the entire motor/generator part under 30 pounds but I would prefer it to be even under 20 pounds without fuel.

When you really need power on the hills the other thing is the generator will act like a second battery in parallel and reduce the current load on the battery. The onboard fuel capacity at first will be about 1 quart but I may up that little if the proof of concept works out.

before...
jjwccb4.jpeg
after...
jjwccafter.jpeg
jjwccafter2.jpeg

Oldhaq: Awesome job on the chopper build.Snuffy: love the recumbent. Here is my before.
TE3-06rebuild1.jpg

After
done-fornow.jpg

Here is my pretty straight forward conversion compared to some of the others in this thread. Personally, I prefer my before bike but converted it to an ebike until I resolve some lingering health issues... I will have it back to stock in the next year or so with any luck..

Before

2ng75te.jpg

After:

5ygsc5.jpg

9c123evga.jpg

9c123evgb.jpg

This is one of those hardly ridden 24 volt bikes.
Updated with 500 watt ebike kit 9c and controller, 36 volt 9 ah a123 with Fechter & Goodrum`s bms.

My first build. It's slowly taken me a while to finish it. A lot more work than I imagined because I'm new to building bicycles and some parts were irregular sizes and needed filing. But I love riding it so far!

I found the frame on the curb. It had been rusting and the fork was completely bent. I replaced almost all the parts except a few things that we're salvageable. The tank bag is custom made. It is laminated wood paneling on the top and bottom with 2 threaded rods bent over the top bar and through each piece with washers and nuts. The heavy canvas slip cover does not bear any weight. I was worried the battery might be too heavy for it but seems to hold to weight of the batteries and controller fine.

The motor is ampedbikes 500w 36v
Battery is 36v 10ah Ping LifePO4

shark.jpg
before

P7090027.jpg
after

P7090020.jpg

Tell me about it... I ran out of money to get a leather nice saddle.

You know that feeling when you get on a new bike and immediately you want to upgrade the power or accessories?... it's endless :!:

Drunkskunk said:
Damn khouse,
Thats About the best looking Ebike I've seen.
The only thing it's missing is a Brook's Saddle!

The frame is made by specialized called "the shark". I believe it was a short-lived model cruiser from the late 80s- early 90s. It even has a bottle opener behind the stem!

Back