Zippy/ Flightmax / Turnigy/ Blue lipo testing (pt 2)

docnjoj said:
When can we get some? I love Gary's stuff but my interest in electronics is limited and my time is worth more to me that attempting to build electronic thingies.
otherDoc

Not to worry Doc, something like a Konion cell, but in a 20ah prismatic form will be here soon enough. I think EIG's C20 cell is pretty big step in that direction with a longer cycle life and higher energy density, but still doesn't require a BMS. Let's hope HK gets big enough into batteries that they put downward pressure on the companies with cells better suited to our needs.

docnjoj said:
When can we get some? I love Gary's stuff but my interest in electronics is limited and my time is worth more to me that attempting to build electronic thingies.
otherDoc
Hi
thanks for that, that was part of why I have started this progect I like Garys LVC/HVC boards as well but dont like the idea of soldering all those components,any of which could go wrong as a result of the heat or static from my fingers,also good as garys boards are they are not up to the standard of what you would find in any electronic product bought today I dont mean the design i mean the construction by the board manufacturer, i have never come across any pcb boards that just have tinned copper tracks with copper through all holes, that is only used for prototyping, once out of the prototype stage then you lay down a protective mask to stop shorts.

The SMD progect is snowballing as there is interest in the simple "thumbnail LVC" as knuckles coined it just a small simple SMD board with the LVC circuitry that Gary developed, small compact and ideal to do the job that is wanted which is keep an eye on the LVC of each cell and trigger the same as as garys does.
I will be going ahed with this whatever I have had enough interest to cover my first run, I want to give you guys the chance to have some input as to the design.
the options are as follows so far:-
1: 6 channel, 8 channel or both
2: thumbnail boards, with 4 way parallel balance and BMBooster input or both
3: LVC only, LVC/HVC boards
4: in effect a copy of the LVC/HVC board that GARY sells but with SMD components

The sooner I have a resonable number of people start to choose what type of boards they would like the sooner I can place a firm order with the factory.

Geoff

I want 20 to start of the thumbnail BMS. LVC, HVC should be different channel outputs. 6s is fine. I want the solder-on wiring plugs. And make them cheap!!!

GREAT IDEA

mike

Yesterday I bought two 3s 2200mah Zippy packs for 12.99 each... then today I get an email that says the Turnigy's are in stock for 8.50 :( ... So I emailed them to try to change my order. Hopefully they do before they run out of Turnigy's. I plan to put them in series, and then parallel that with the two packs already on my scooter, to act as a little range-booster pack. The ones I have are working pretty well (Zippy EC 3600mah 20C). Except I ran them down to 20.5v the other day (my scooter barely even goes forwards once they hit that low) and charged them up... and my charger only reported 5500mah back in? Whats up with that?

geoff57 said:
4: in effect a copy of the LVC/HVC board that GARY sells but with SMD components
Geoff
1. 6s and 8s if one can run two 4s in the 8s and still balance. This may not be possible & still charge 3p or more. :?:
2. Not sure why you want the BMBooster -maybe bypass it with your own? Thumbnail and 4 way parallel -check.
3. LVC/HVC
4. Check.

I'll buy some if the price is right too. :mrgreen:

Does anybody know if there's a difference between flightmax and Turnigy batteries? Essentially identical packs seemed to differ mainly in price: 8.99 for the Flightmax as opposed to 8.49 for the Turnigy.

deVries said:
geoff57 said:
Geoff
1. 6s and 8s if one can run two 4s in the 8s and still balance. This may not be possible & still charge 3p or more. :?:
2. Not sure why you want the BMBooster -maybe bypass it with your own? Thumbnail and 4 way parallel -check.
3. LVC/HVC
4. Check.

I'll buy some if the price is right too. :mrgreen:

geoff57
I'll take 4 or more.
1)I run 5s packs.
2) don't know...
3) lvc/hvc but LVC ic the most important to me
4) yes

geoff57 said:
Cool, any ball park idea on price ? I've been working on my own simple LVC but it's quite labour intensive to make them for use other than my own so if there's another well priced option I'll opt for the lazy way out!

1: I'd be happy with 6 channel but if the SMD components aren't that much different in price on large scale it may be worthwhile making them all 8S and then they can be used for any size down from that.
2: I think 4P adaptors is sufficient, I'd say the majority won't be using the BM booster.
3: LVC is probably sufficient but again if the price is negligable to make it LVC and HVC then why not

On an unrelated but on-topic note, I have a data point about my turnigy lipos. They're the very first batch, the ones that were marked 15C but were actually 20C.
I have lost count of the number of cycles, it's over 300 and it's been over 12 months of nearly daily use.
I noticed today on my ride that they were sagging a little quicker than usual. The 15S pack that I've been charging to 4.15v/cell lately (for most of its life it's been the full 4.2v/cell) comes off the charge at 62.25v and only 1ah in it was reading about 58v. It still delivered it's full capacity though - I discharged 9 ah from it (mostly at 2-4C) and in the last 1/2 ah (8.5-9ah) it sat around 50v at 1C but quickly sagged to 45v(~3v/cell) at 3-4C. At rest when I got home all the cells in each pack were resting at ~3.5v with 1 at ~3.25v

I never cycled the packs from 4.15v from new but I suspect those that do wouldn't be getting much more than 9ah from them so that's pretty good and while I have noticed them sagging a little quicker now they still deliver their full rated capacity.

swbluto said:
Does anybody know if there's a difference between flightmax and Turnigy batteries? Essentially identical packs seemed to differ mainly in price: 8.99 for the Flightmax as opposed to 8.49 for the Turnigy.

Flightmax, Rhino, Turnigy, HobbyKing, Zippy, are all various brand labels applied to the cells HobbyKing has made for them. Traditionally, zippy was always made to be as lightweight of a pack as possible to get max performance from RC aircraft. At this point, I think it's just different labels applied to cells the cells they source.

Hi
From the responce I have got so far it is definatly worth me carying on with this progect i have desided on the diffrent types to do.

1: 6 and 8 channel LVC thumbnail
2: 6 and 8 channel LVC/HVCthumbnail
3: 6 and 8 channel LVC with 4 way balance parallel adaptor with a row of holes for the battery medic booster
4: 6 and 8 channel LVC/HVC with 4 way balance parallel adaptor with a row of holes for the battery medic booster

the quantitys of each will be dependent on how popular they are.
as for price I have no idea as yet I have been trying to pry a price out of the factory for over a month now I think the only way I will manage it is to hand over artwork for them to look at, I am not going to even put a ball park price on it as yet as I need to talk this over with others.I will try to keep the price as resonable as possable.

As for distributionthe best idea I can think of is the people that buy in quantity from keywin get them and then distribute them to the country they are in though for a large country there may be more than one. I am going to sugest to keywin that he sell the 6 channel boards in lots of 20 and the 8 channel boards in lots of 15.

We still have a way to go I see that Gary has just posted that he will be updating his web site, he is adding a LVC only board back to the range, a 4 way parallel balance board only and he has made an improvement to the LVC/HVC boards he has added zenner diodes to protect the TC54's. he has also been updating the charge controller and hopfully bringing the stand alone balancer online.

I will NEVER be working against Gary just using a difrent board manufacturer to get as good and cheap a product as possable for the EV community.

Geoff

^ Hell yeah.

8S HVC/LVC w/ 4 way parallel is EXACTLY what I need!

I'll take 20 to start

How big of a $$$ bribe will it take to get the first 20 off the line?

Just received notification email from HK they have a HUGE stock of 20c 62 5000mah lipo packs in stock get in quick before they are sold out again :mrgreen:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9176

KiM

AussieJester said:
Just received notification email from HK they have a HUGE stock of 20c 62 5000mah lipo packs in stock get in quick before they are sold out again :mrgreen:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9176
Hyena said:
Stock levels already down to 20 units remaining!
Plenty of the almost one foot long ones for $3 less on flash sale -same size battery. :mrgreen:
Hyena said:
C'mon HK, bring back the 25C zippys!
Long ones are 25C :!: :wink:

8)

Hyena said:
Stock levels already down to 20 units remaining!
C'mon HK, bring back the 25C zippys!

20?!?! there was only 10 when i recieved the email HiGHSiDE how you get 20?

I have also made a post on HK forums asking when the big Turnigys will be avaialble hahaalso asked
if HK would be interested in providing lipos and motor in excahnge for naming rights and link backs to HK
in my worklogs :: fingers crossed :: haha

KiM

AussieJester said:
Never mind, stock level is now showing 0. You snooze you lose. haha

I have also made a post on HK forums asking when the big Turnigys will be avaialble hahaalso asked
if HK would be interested in providing lipos and motor in excahnge for naming rights and link backs to HK
hah, you've got 2 chances of that happening, and Buckley said you can't have his :mrgreen:
Your best bet in trying to make anything is with an affiliate link

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
Never mind, stock level is now showing 0. You snooze you lose. haha

hah, you've got 2 chances of that happening, and Buckley said you can't have his :mrgreen:
Your best bet in trying to make anything is with an affiliate link

Well i have over 70 000 views across my worklogs on 3 forums a $99 dollar motor (which prolly cost them 1/4 of that) for
links on ever post i make would be a deal i would snap up. Never huurts too ask i have picked up alot
of things over the years that i wouldnt have if i had your attitude. :wink:

KiM

I think HK actually make quite a slim mark up, but yeah like you said it doesn't hurt to try.
I'd still be a virgin if I didn't go against the odds every time I spoke to a woman :lol:

Hyena said:
I think HK actually make quite a slim mark up, but yeah like you said it doesn't hurt to try.

Apparently they just broke even last financial year if you believe what Jason posted in the forums.

Hyena said:
I'd still be a virgin if I didn't go against the odds every time I spoke to a woman :lol:

LoL...oh boy hahaa. you make it easy sometimes buddy :lol: .... You told me you would still be a virgin if you
didn't pay for sex :mrgreen:

I think i will hit up Fiberglass and Resin Sales for some discount on the carbon fiber for the frame, shall write up a lil proposal to
take in with prurty pics to convince them even a lil discount will help...don't be surprised if the next bike looks like a NASCAR
door with all the sponsors stickers on it though hahaha

KiM

Lipo is now stocked at the HK USA warehouse!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=10916

Don't see any 5.8ah or 8s packs in stock yet though. There are 5ah 6s however.

liveforphysics said:
swbluto said:

Flightmax, Rhino, Turnigy, HobbyKing, Zippy, are all various brand labels applied to the cells HobbyKing has made for them. Traditionally, zippy was always made to be as lightweight of a pack as possible to get max performance from RC aircraft. At this point, I think it's just different labels applied to cells the cells they source.

I've used both recently and the main difference is Turnigy uses softer insulation and more pliable wire compared to Zippy. Some of the Turnigy also measure slightly lower resistance with my iCharger 106B+ but I haven't noticed any difference in performance between Turnigy/Zippy 20C packs.

BTW - I ordered some 15C Zippy 6S packs that were running $44ea. For 20-35A controller 15C should be plenty and hard to beat that price. Will see?

liveforphysics said:
Does anyone know if you backorder any of these battery brands at X price IF this ALSO locks-in the final purchase price when new stock arrives at a later date? It seems some of the LiPo may drift-up in price at times, when restocked, despite the general downtrend.

:mrgreen:

If you've already paid for them on back order then they should deliver them to you at that price. Keep in mind you'll be out of pocket for potentially 6 months while waiting for them (some of the zippys have been back ordered nearly that long now)
If you get a stock notification and order them when they come back into stock then you'll pay what ever they list them for at the time.

Back