Any Better Alternatives to Yellow-Tops for C-Sparrow?

VeloV

10 mW
Looking to re-load the Corbin Sparrow without breaking the bank, so want to go Lead-Acid.
Are the Yellow Tops still the best choice, or are there other equivalent less expensive, or just plain better options out there now?

Thanks
VeloV

I didn't think the cost savings in lead acid was really that significant anymore if you account for additional life cycles.

Lead at 100% depth of discharge (DOD) is 300 cycles at best
lifepo4 at 100% DOD is 800 cycles

Lead at 50% DOD is maybe 600 cycles
lifepo4 at 50% is going to be over 1500

You will also have huge saving in weight, like 400lbs!!!

Your lead pack is at almost 600lbs and a similar lifepo4 pack would be around 200lbs with more stored power.

Cost looks like about $2400 dollars for lead and around $4000 for lifepo4 maybe less, depending and would require some work to get it running. I think the 400lbs savings with more range and performance would make that sparrow a completely new vehicle.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks, yeah, I understand. Unfortunately, looking for immediate cost and time savings.
Have considered 2PxS 40AH CALB's, as per Radio Dave in Lake County, but requires fiberglass cut and paste, so trying to keep it simple, to get it rolling as my 10-mile RT commuter NOW rather than have it sitting in my showroom any longer.
Time to modify is the larger consideration in this case.
If I fall in love with the bird, the CALB option would happen next pack change.
Thanks for your input.

VeloV

AGM if you're selling.
LiFe if you're keeping.

My .02

http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/sparrow/batt_stgs.html

Just figured I'd give a link to someone's reference page on taking care of the Sparrow battery pack. Might want to look up info on how a lot of pack deaths are related to how those chargers work.

Back