Chinese Retro Scooter - Running at 72v versus 60v

SUCCESS! Well in so far as I have just got the LBMC GUI software to talk to the controller and read the settings. I want to wait until my second controller arrives before I make changes and write anything back!

Here’s what I used :

Windows 10
Version 4.0.0-202 of LBMC gui software (only version that will connect, others timeout - see link to Google Drive above)
CH341SER.EXE usb driver ( .rar file from here https://www.goldenmotor.com/controllers/USB-Driver.rar )

Install the driver first and reboot. Connect USB programming cable to laptop/pc and open LBMC software. You need to select the COM port from drop down list at top of GUI and then press Connect icon. DO NOT POWER ON SCOOTER OR CONTROLLER - I WOULD ADVISE DISCONNECTING BATTERY ANYWAY.

It may read settings automatically but I had to select download icon. For some reason v4 of software doesn’t have icon labels but you can tell what these are if you open one of the earlier versions as the GUI looks identical. I’m assuming to write changes back you use the upload icon but more on that tomorrow.

Here are some screen shots - looks easy to change LVC for using higher voltage pack (assuming FETs and caps can handle 72v!). From what I’ve read online to remove the speed limiter you set Speed Limit Enable to off and limit ratio to 100%. Mine was set to enabled and 82% so if you work on the basis that is 34 mph than disabling it should increase to 42 mph.

F6-BEF703-6-C4-E-44-F5-AD8-F-930222-FC75-E3.jpg

71-A2632-A-B6-EB-4184-B933-2-C8-B2-FCCC507.jpg

C170-E05-E-2-D1-A-49-CE-B29-A-9-F8-E9-D8362-B9.jpg

5-B8-EE57-D-0-BA3-4138-8-D10-3-A5699493-BC5.jpg

2-D19433-C-53-FF-4-E44-98-F3-2-EF484-C50932.jpg

I’m sure other settings will need to be changed like phase amps / flux weakening - again really depends on what’s in the controller and what it can handle before melting. Also looks like lots of ability to tweak acceleration ramp up, start amps to improve initial acceleration - again this all depends on what motor can handle and controller innards.

Will post more when I’ve had a play with the second controller.

That’s absolutely brilliant, well done. I’ve seen on other controllers where they set the max to 130-140%, will it let you enter that value? The hub motor should easily be able to take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might start pricing up a bigger battery or go for a similar one to increase range. I don’t want to sink too much into it.

Haven’t had time today to update controller settings but I did get to take the second controller apart. It’s definitely a 72v controller with 100v caps so shouldn’t be any issues running at higher voltage.

290-BFBF7-6053-4644-BA18-E07-C9-B7-DADA7.jpg

1-D0-DB436-81-F0-4-B53-B9-CF-567850-D55618.jpg

It’s a 12 FET controller and looks to be a straight UGBest rebrand of the LBMC72122 - same as used in the Niu Sport scooter.

It’s quite limited in what it can put out in terms of phase amps - next steps for me are to wire up the 72v pack and update the controller settings to remove the speed limit. I’ll make a call then on whether to change the controller. I’ve got a Sabvoton to fit but reading through the NIU forums a favourite mod for them is to piggyback a higher power LBMC controller which are relatively cheap if I can find one.

Here’s a couple of pics with the new leg shield, side panels and seat cover fitted.... gone for a bit of a retro look....

1-A212-CE8-962-E-402-A-8171-4632377-FD134.jpg

9-C48-DF50-4483-466-F-A083-0-D27-B6-E5-FD2-A.jpg

What about shunting it? Surely that would deliver more amps?

swiftyds said:
Haven’t had time today to update controller settings but I did get to take the second controller apart. It’s definitely a 72v controller with 100v caps so shouldn’t be any issues running at higher voltage.

290-BFBF7-6053-4644-BA18-E07-C9-B7-DADA7.jpg

1-D0-DB436-81-F0-4-B53-B9-CF-567850-D55618.jpg

It’s a 12 FET controller and looks to be a straight UGBest rebrand of the LBMC72122 - same as used in the Niu Sport scooter.

It’s quite limited in what it can put out in terms of phase amps - next steps for me are to wire up the 72v pack and update the controller settings to remove the speed limit. I’ll make a call then on whether to change the controller. I’ve got a Sabvoton to fit but reading through the NIU forums a favourite mod for them is to piggyback a higher power LBMC controller which are relatively cheap if I can find one.

Here’s a couple of pics with the new leg shield, side panels and seat cover fitted.... gone for a bit of a retro look....

1-A212-CE8-962-E-402-A-8171-4632377-FD134.jpg

9-C48-DF50-4483-466-F-A083-0-D27-B6-E5-FD2-A.jpg
Nice, looks way better

I managed to have a play with updating the controller settings - all still on the 60V pack as I’ve only just got the connectors come through the post to be able to connect my 72V pack.

First off the app itself isn’t that intuitive - took me a while to work out you use the upload function to read the controller settings and the download function to update the controller with the changed settings from the app - seemed counter intuitive and I was trying it the other way first but that’s how the app works.

I really only focused on the speed limit (max speed) setting. You can’t set it above 100% as the app doesn’t allow this. Also disabling the speed limit setting has the same effect as setting it to 100% and enabled.

The good news is it does have an impact - I wasn’t able to give it an long run due to lockdown restrictions in the UK but it increases top speed on mine to just over 42mph. That’s without any other changes.

Next steps are I will hook up the 72v pack and have a play with LVC settings and current settings to see what I can get out of it.

Hi all

I am looking at the exact same bike on eBay. Possibly the same seller as these are 'spares and repair' without the battery.

Never owned an electric bike so no idea on best places to source parts. My main question is where can a source a battery for one of these and would you recommend a start with a 60v and use the software and guide on this thread to boost it to 100% or go for a bigger battery?

I'd like to price up the battery and get your impressions of this particular bike if possible.

Update on the 72v pack - it didn’t really make a difference to top end speed. Slightly quicker acceleration off the mark. So I think this just shows the controller is limiting phase amps to the motor.

Can someone point me in the direction of a suitable battery for one of these? I've looked on eBay for a 60v e moped battery but there are so many different types and sizes.

Just like to get an idea of what to look for and any recommended sellers (pref UK)

Just sent you PM with some links to UK suppliers of batteries for these types of scoters - note that some Artisan type Vespa clones run at 72v. As you will see from previous posts on this thread it is possible to configure the Quazzar controller to run at 72v but as you will have seen from my experience there isn’t really that much difference on top end speed (once speed limiter is removed).

If you run a 72v battery with the controller set up for 60v you will get issues in that the Low Voltage settings will be too low for the pack.

I really like your passion to make this bike functional. I think I have found the same opportunity on eBay-the same bike cost £299. And I'm on the straight path to have it. I will study all the information which you have shared on forum because I'd like to follow your food steps and to achieve this task I would like to ask for your assistance. If is not problem can you please send me as well the information where I can buy the right parts to make it run: battery, controller etc. How to take off the speed limit and what actually what I need to do. I'm interested to make your concept of visual look, where have found those parts? I think it's suits so well. How much did you spend in total and have you got any tehnical problems since you modification.
Please help.regards g

I sold the Quazzar last year with the original controller and 60v battery as I decided to do my full bike test and needed a 125cc to get through the Mod 1/2 tests.

I had my 72v battery pack built by a UK guy (Mersebikes) - he’s on Facebook and you can find him via Google. I know he was having issues sourcing good quality cells for custom packs.

If you do buy the Quazzar from the original importer (they company who are behind the eBay listing for £299) I would also recommend you buy a spare controller as I did - only cost £50 and they are brand new and always useful to have a spare at that price.

As for the body panels and mechanical stuff it’s the same frame as an AJS Modena or Lexmoto Milano 50/125cc petrol scooter. I bought the black panels from AJS - best to take a look on their website for latest prices (https://www.ajs-shop.co.uk/acatalog/REAR---MID-SECTIONS.html). You can also get parts off CMPO (https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAiAyPyQBhB6EiwAFUuakoM7btKcvfAbSDEJ7RIhYzSN6oxLUf8wG6rJVV9YFNNSlYtM1nyCJBoCDVAQAvD_BwE).

The original post here contains all you need for configuring the original controller to remove the speed limit and to switch to a 72v battery if that’s what you want to do.

Hope this helps

Hi I no this is is a old post but I have just brought one of these mopeds and I am after one of these to get the lights working any one know where to get it thanks

You might have to do some voltmeter testing to determine the wiring, but you can use any "12v" DC-DC that can output at least the 7A yours did, and has a high enough input voltage range to work with your battery's full charge voltage (meaning, the input voltage rating is higher than that).

The spec for one might read something like "100v to 12v 7a dc-dc", for instance.

There are two that might work here
https://electricscooterparts.com/voltage-converters.html
as long as your battery voltage is not any higher than the input rating on them.

Hi everyone I was thinking also about buying one of these QuaZZer E devine off eBay without a battery as I'm after a E Moped for commuting. Anyone else got one? Views/Opions

Anyone have a link to a decent battery that's compatible please.

Or a link to any e moped that is similar that isn't going to cost me 3k, there's one I have seen working with a battery for 1.1k but I imagine a battery that's 6+ years isn't going to last much longer or be in a downward decline.

I've bought one of these from the guy on eBay for £299, but struggling to find someone who will insure it. My 50cc petrol model cost me £80 a year, the one quote I have for the Quazzar is over £300.

Any suggestions? Many thanks

by Avocado » Jun 15 2022 10:38pm

I've bought one of these from the guy on eBay for £299, but struggling to find someone who will insure it. My 50cc petrol model cost me £80 a year, the one quote I have for the Quazzar is over £300.

Any suggestions? Many thanks

mine was £160 which is a ripoff my speedmaster 790 is only £80 ,and the government want everybody to go electric wonder how much ev car insurance is

Quazzar I know you sold your Quazzar and I have contacted you before about software to change controller I have tried downloading the pdfs you had link on but everything just comes up in Chinese ,I know this has been a while ago but is there any chance you could help me please as the program you screenshot was in English
Regards Ron

Sorry didn’t see this before - if I remember correctly the button/icon on the top right (looks like a head with speech bubble) switched between languages and enabled me to put the parameter labels into English.

My wife just got the same scooter, but it is already 72v, comes with two 20ah batteries, however the throttle is awful and behaves just like a PWM/speed throttle.

In a quick investigation I found out that it comes equipped with the GK7250T controller, by a brand named GeKoo (LanZhike Electronic Technology Co.), but could barely find any information online about that controller, besides some sites from Taiwan selling it. And for my surprise there is a big FOC written right next to the brands name.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any USB cable hanging around, but the controller does have an DEBUG connector that seems like an S-Video or PS2, couldn't identify right away.

Anyone dealt with that before? Here are some pictures I got from the web that match my controller:
ebike_controller_1589560700_dfbcf25e_progressive.jpg
TB2srjPoQ9WBuNjSspeXXaz5VXa_!!3018012920.jpg

SUCCESS! Well in so far as I have just got the LBMC GUI software to talk to the controller and read the settings. I want to wait until my second controller arrives before I make changes and write anything back!

Here’s what I used :

Windows 10
Version 4.0.0-202 of LBMC gui software (only version that will connect, others timeout - see link to Google Drive above)
CH341SER.EXE usb driver ( .rar file from here https://www.goldenmotor.com/controllers/USB-Driver.rar )

Don't know if the OP is still around, but I'm just wondering what cable I would need to work with this setup. I have just bought a 2016 Quazzar, which has an (allegedly) working 60V battery, and I would like to be able to remove the speed restriction as described in this post. Cheers.

Back