Custom_CHRoMo_CRuiSER

Looking good KiM!

I see the precharge button is in the way of the key switch? Good plan - it might force you to press the button before turning the key. I'm about to bore you with technical shit, but read the last part for the take home message.

On the hoverpod at Entecho I've installed a precharge resistor and relay which is powered by my 555 timer delay. We have 90 ohms of resistor at about 30 W, switching 120 volts. The scary part is the capacitance of the controllers - they have 13,000 uF! Not sure why, but that's what is trying to charge up at 1000 A for a milisecond. Enough to truly weld the contactor shut without the precharge. The 5 second delay before closing the contact makes it all safe, but we have a DCDC converter on the other side of the contactor which turns 120 V into 24 V, and it seems to taketh as the the precharge resistor giveth. So we still end up with a little stickyness on the contact faces. I have put LEDs in place with the auxiliary contacts of the main contactors, so if one welds, the LED stays lit.

In short, precharge is important for not ruining your contactors or controllers with an epic spark.

Looking forward to going for a ride soon mate :)

@Andy. lol at pink leds, got me confused with Jay....again :p Progress report, all finished except for chains! came 4.30 pm last night I got the wiring completed, bled front brake, sorted my two meanwel psu out so I could charge pack, but was spent by this time, so with two chains left to put on and a pack to put some charge into and a sick missus who's taking the day off work means ride video locked in for around lunch time I'm guessing.

I have small issue with the CA I'll have to look into, the wire from the hall sensor to the CA is connected, but it produces some weird readings, not sure why but when I spin the motor up it activates the km/hr on the CA, I'll take video of that.

@CHRiS. the pre-charge button is not in the way buddy, it's recessed into the switch...cheers for the technical info, how's the new job coming along? got you working full time yet?

5-54am heading back to bed for a bit, least I don't need taxi home have a crook lady to drive me lol... it's nothing serious just a bad cold, the poor dear, anyone would think it's dying for all the moans and groans lmao...frock she reads this thread, ooops. :: ducks:

KiM

edit. aussiejester or KiM Dybing on Facebook will get you pics of yesterday's accomplishment...haven't had time to resize pics to up here yet, will do later today for those without Facebook...

It RunZ!!!! Was short lived second lap around the block out front of the house i broke the drive chain LoL Was my fault i think when i joined it i didn't push the pin through enough, chain alignment is perfect...i have a spare 1/2 link chain sitting here, i also have to get a rear brake this is dangerous without one LoL... The suspension seat is the shit! no need to slow down for kerbs now... I'll be back later this arvo with more hopefully, going to rip a rotor off the Blue Cruiser and whack on the back of the new bike, also need to swap out the front pads they have gotten fork oil on them, stopping wasn't an option... The bike is hella quiet, much quieter than the 80-100 motor and throttle is smooooooth
ThuDSTeR 8) your a freakin genius!!! Thankyou :) :shock:

KiM

Awesome Kim, well done! Better get mine going again and come for a ride!

Indeed ;) I have another issue with the Cycle Analyst, it doesn't read above 72.6v the battery is actually charged to 74.5v anyone have an idea what would cause this? It was measuring accurately
until it hit 72.6v then stopped reading after that... :?

I think i found me some old pads that will work on the front until i can afford some new pads, the rotor off the blue cruiser should work in the intrim also... back to it.

KiM

Well done Kim. I can't wait for a ride.
Sorry I wasn't able to get over to your place today, food shopping, kids and building a cubby house.
Cheers,
Matt.

No worries Matt, will catch you up soon enough, give me some time to sort a few bugs out so shes rippin' when you get on her teehehe

So...the bike just 'officially' became useful...yes! I rode it to local shops and purchased a six pack of beer!!!11 :mrgreen:

So i sorted the CA voltage issues out, just need to fix the magura throttle now
when used with the HV160 i advanced the pot 'physically' in the casing thus i have about
1/2 inch rotation on the throttle before anything happens annoying when using the infineon
other than that she fuckin rips all the wayz up to 70km/hr I am only using my smallest of
3 motor sprockets i have IIRC i have the 16 tooth on it now Thud advised i can use all the wayz upto a 20
tooth motor sprocket if i want to chase some bigger speeds...i dont... i think another 10clicks
will be fine! for now LOL...the back wheel i'm not 100% confident in i think i need to
get a sealed bearing hub made, this ChoppersUS extra wide i have little faith in
other than FARKIN YEEEEEEAH baaabeee!!! I shall have a few days to get used
to it as i haven't been on a bike in like 8 months!??!?#@?@!#%? Borrow the girls
HD video camera and getz ya all some footage right now im happy as a pig in shit....
i did take photos this morning, they ain't the best im afraid will up them anywayz-->

OH! due to yesterdays chain breakage, snapped a link LOL i have had to rob
the pedal side chain, hence no chain on, it does fit fine though so will be 'legal'
soon as i get new chain for it!

IMG_20130406_081732.jpg

IMG_20130406_081703.jpg

IMG_20130406_082128.jpg

IMG_20130406_082207.jpg

IMG_20130406_081816.jpg

IMG_20130406_081836.jpg

I only had gawd awful white cable ties for the moment, saving my black stainless
steel cable ties for final assembly after paint... For those with keen eyesight YUP! the half link
chain is upside down i know.. no biggy, hasn't busted like the one yesterday
up the right way LOL

I have to give a huuuuge thankyou to Todd (ThuDSTeR) without his generosity and mad skillz
this bike would not be what it is today simple as that, huge props buddy ;) Farfle, thakyou
also for your input, and to everyone else thats followed this build, its been another long road
but i now have a little more mobility in my life, which for me is a huge thing...Thanks all..

Back with video in a few days...

KiM

Hehe,white cable ties......you must have been desperate LOL!

The side shot is just beautiful. The frame lines & stance are fantastic.
Once you get the paint done up...she'll be even more of a show stopper.

Thanks for taking the time to document up your handy work....I know what a pain in azz that can be.

Looking forward to hearing the crew's comments once they've all taken a lil spin.
(& you give way too much credit bud, my hack work is1% of this project...you da man)
:twisted: :mrgreen:

Looks like a stout machine!
What is the braided line you're using - is that a side entry wrap around or something that requires extensive planning before you solder on plugs?

Awesome way to christen the bike for its first ride! 8)

Looks fantastic Kim. I knew you could do it. ha ha Can't wait to see it all prettied up, that is if you can stop ridding long enough to tear down, paint and rebuild.

Clay

EvoBikeShop said:
Congrats! Great job.

Cheers mate, still a lot too do but she is at least mobile, i think it will be a month
or so before i pull it down for paint, i am going to get on with the fiberglass plugs and mold
in coming weeks prior to breaking it down for paint etc... dont realise how much you miss
e-bikes till you get back on one after a long spell thats for sure! Still grinning hehe...

Thud said:
Hehe,white cable ties......you must have been desperate LOL!

The side shot is just beautiful. The frame lines & stance are fantastic.
Once you get the paint done up...she'll be even more of a show stopper.

Yes i like the way she sits thats for sure, it handles beautifully too Todd! slightly shorter rear end
slightly longer front and the suspended seat maaaan, the seat is just joy! couple inches of
sag when i sit on it another couple inches travel, the ol kindeys appreciate it i tellz ya!

Thud said:
Thanks for taking the time to document up your handy work....I know what a pain in azz that can be.

haha yeah well, I have gotten so much information and help from this forum it only seems fair
if i can give something back, to do so ... If it inspires others to get their hands dirty all the better!
If i can manage it, anyone can given the time and patience, thanks to this wonderful forum
and other tutorials on the net, nothing you can't look up and get info about if you
are interested enough.

Thud said:
Looking forward to hearing the crew's comments once they've all taken a lil spin.
(& you give way too much credit bud, my hack work is1% of this project...you da man)
:twisted: :mrgreen:

I think there will be some very wide eyes and even wider smiles Todd teehehe
And, your faaaaaar from a 'hack' buddy your work is amazing! 8) Cheers matey...

Idontwanttopedal said:
I have got a chain call gusset tank. It a big chain for bmx but stronger than half link chain

Dont know what a "chain call gusset tank" is never heard of it? I have never
had an issue with half link chains, i didnt get them for their strength, rather
the look ... form over function and all that teehehe

Tinto said:
Looks like a stout machine!
What is the braided line you're using - is that a side entry wrap around or something that requires extensive planning before you solder on plugs?

Thanks Tinto... the braid is something i have used for years in PC cases, i was
heavily into PC Case modding for few years, custom watercooling setups etc...its
not a side entry wrap style rather closed and yes has to be put on prior to
any soldering the ends are then finished with a small length of heat shrink.
Its available in many many colours, fluro as well LoL.
It doesn't look much now but once the bike is all painted it will finish it off i think. I
have used connectors on all joins so putting it all back together after paint will be as simple as
clipping together connectors. Check Tech Flex
for more info, i believe JayCar also now stock it as does Hobby King ;)

Rodney64 said:
Just about finished Kim. Group ride looking close.

hehe yes indeedie! must get a ride in before ripping it apart/weather goes too shit
would like to do a coast run perhaps? Any ideas?

Spicerack said:
Awesome way to christen the bike for its first ride! 8)

I'm going to have to cut a length of steel to replace the shock when you haqve a ride
buddy, anyone over 80-85 Kilo wont be able to use the suspension seat i'm afraid.
I really need a lock out style shock in there, i dont know if Fox make one
though, i did see Whiplash bought a knock off Fox shock think ill look into
one myself, not as if i need any super high performance unit...

Harold in CR said:
Absolutely amazing build, as always. 8) 8)

Heey Harold! you been rather quiet on the forum of late, been keeping yourself busy
i asumez... Cheers mate ;)

flyinmonkie said:
Looks fantastic Kim. I knew you could do it. ha ha Can't wait to see it all prettied up, that is if you can stop ridding long enough to tear down, paint and rebuild.

Clay

Thanks Clay... tellz me about it soooo hard to bring ones self to pull it
all apart eeeespecially since its taken so freakin long
was meeeant to be a quick build wiminez and Bali made short
work of blowing that idea out the water...such is life.

Been away all weekend, i'm waiting for half time in the Football (my teams playing, and getting hammered i might add) and i'm going to swing by the local BMX track the car parks PACKED they must have a round of the State Titles up there or something, never usually so many cars there... Hanging for a ride i tellz ya haha

Back with more soon folks, thanks again for all the support and interest...

KiM

Hold on a second! Are you saying I'm fat? Oh, hold on, you're right. I'm just about finished my 9c conversion- all running and just needs tyre on rim and mount the rear disc... Then I think a ride to Chateau Kimbo will be in order!

It lives! It works!
Technically it's already broken with the chain issue but I'm still making note of the date so we can accurately document how long until the next failure :mrgreen:

Nah good to see it up and running. Power wise were you able to give it a good squirt or did you have it backed off for the test ride ?
Looking foward to seeing some vids

I might try and make a visit on Thursday if that's okay Kim? I can get some video footage of it then if you like.

Hyena said:
Nah good to see it up and running. Power wise were you able to give it a good squirt or did you have it backed off for the test ride ?
Looking foward to seeing some vids

Haven't been on a road long enough to wind it right out yet Jay :p I have actually
made an 'adjustment' tonight, something you frock fan bois can't do :p i changed
the motor sprocket out for one with a couple more teeth :p I thought i had a 16
tooth on there turns out it was a 14 tooth sprocket soooo it now has a 16 tooth sprocket
haven't had a chance to ride it with the change however, was dark when i decided to play around
with it, so will have a spin at first light and see the speed difference. First gear is a little slow
but jesus does it pull. It topped out around 40km/hr in first i would like somewhere
around 50 in first like the old bike... Shall see how she goes anywayz, should be
mega more reliable with the ThuDSTeR 8) modded 18fet infineon ;)

Spicerack said:
I might try and make a visit on Thursday if that's okay Kim? I can get some video footage of it then if you like.

That would be cool Andy, shall call Matt.P and see if he can make it too, can cruise up
through the hills call in at the Kalamunda hotel on the way back for an ale ;)
thats If i haven't broken the bike by then :mrgreen: Theres kerbside collection up
in Kala now too, another good reason to go for a cruise up that way LoL

I left the damn video camera at Karans, wont be back there till Wednesday night
so i can pick it up and have it with me Thursday hopefully...

back soon chaps..

KiM

MMMMMMM Beeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a pretty good incentive. I may have to stock up my backpack as well for the ride..... :wink:

Disappointing result for the footy :(

Congratulations on getting the build up and running AJ.

Stunning build indeed. I dont know that any other builder has got the aesthetics and the technical all packaged up so cleanly.

Well others have, but not with a 2 speed! This really is custom ebike at its best.

D

Spicerack said:
MMMMMMM Beeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a pretty good incentive. I may have to stock up my backpack as well for the ride..... :wink:

Didn't get to complete below post yesterday Taxi arrived... so-->

Thanks for a fantastic day riding Andy thoroughly enjoyed it! We will have to grab a few locals and do that run again the view from
the Zig-Zag is beautiful! Not to mention theres a pub on route to allow 'cooling stop for the motors' after the loooong climb teehehe ::wink::
Hope you made it back for your appointment matey...?

Andy and myself took HEAPS of video footage, me with a vid came sellotaped to my helmet and Andy riding one hand with his
phone in one hand haha laugh cracked me up, such saftey conscious riders we is. Lets see, how many laws did we break today
1) went UP the Zig-Zag ILLEGAL 2)overpowered e-bikes ILLEGAL 3) speeding (me anywayz Andy tried but couldnt get those
widdle legs spinning quick enough hehe ) prolly drink driving if 'breathoed' after two pints at the pub during erm i mean "cooling stop for motors"

Ill get to work on editing some footage together, wont be of the level of some here but should be entertaining enough ;)
Feeling a little sick in the stomach this morning something i ate didnt agree with me i think...looks like rain so no riding, bed
might be an option at this point...

back soon chaps

KiM

I strenuously refute all and any mischievous allegations made against me.

My legs certainly aren't liddle either Kimbo..... but yeah, my top speed will have to be addressed. 62V in an 8x8 is 45-50 kliks so not fast enough. I'm thinking...whatever the max voltage of my controller is! It held me back to 68 down the Welshpool Road hill! That was full throttle, tucked and putting 250W back INTO the batteries! Decent hill that one.

Yes, awesome ride and I'm very impressed with your bike. Goes well and I love the noise on the gear change- reminds me of my RC truck when it changes gear. Sweet!

Back