JP spot welder

Osnpower is actually selling starter car battery made of A123 cells:
http://wendybatt.en.ecplaza.net/12v-minni-super-starting-car--410290-3437209.html

If I get 4 of them it can be either a booster pack for my bike or spot welder for double use!

cwah said:
http://wendybatt.en.ecplaza.net/12v-minni-super-starting-car--410290-3437209.html

If I get 4 of them it can be either a booster pack for my bike or spot welder for double use!
No where does it say its using A123 cells. Its the same thing being foisted everywhere else. If interested, please find out exactly what cell they are using and in what configuration, so we can determine what the power rating of this thing is.

To me, the only point in using lithium is if one already has it on hand. Buying it for this express purpose is a little backwards in my book:

"Buy $200 pack so you can use it to power an inexpensive spot welder so you can make other battery packs and save some money" :roll:

OK, need a simple metric to size our batteries. How many watt-hours for single weld for the "stronger" unit?
cal3thousand said:
"Buy $200 pack so you can use it to power an inexpensive spot welder so you can make other battery packs and save some money" :roll:
Haahaaaaa... :lol: but, my intention at least is to use my 48V 40ah of quality A123 AMP20 cells. But there are some that don't have any battery and want to make one, using the spot welder and quality cells, 18650 or 26650. Hence a "jump starter", starting an operation rather than a car-battery. So an appropriate community response, in the cooperative fashion, would be to provide such. As per above, one those gizmo’s able to charge-up car batteries, USB devices, cellphones, etc. Only one made with quality cells and a real metric of watt-hours. Or more simply, a tool for a makerspace, complete.

I'm going to use the welder to sew-up my Konion cells from Doctorbass. Then turn to my 100 A123 26650 cells sitting on a shelf that I soldered, because I didn't have a spot welder. Then I'll donate it all to the local makerspace for others to use.

Ark, you're using cells on hand. So I'm not confused by your decision. It's others that are thinking about sourcing a lithium pack for this job. I personally asked about lithium because I have a bunch of LiPo on hand and would rather avoid buying a car starter battery (or any other one for that matter). Another option for me would be to use my own car's battery with a 12V charger on it.

cal3thousand said:
Ark, you're using cells on hand. So I'm not confused by your decision. It's others that are thinking about sourcing a lithium pack for this job. I personally asked about lithium because I have a bunch of LiPo on hand and would rather avoid buying a car starter battery (or any other one for that matter). Another option for me would be to use my own car's battery with a 12V charger on it.

That's really the best option, saves time and time is money ;)

arkmundi said:
Ah, but if you are car-free and your 48V 40ah battery is the one.... And yes, battery with charger on and blast away.

arkmundi, above » OK, need a simple metric to size our batteries. How many watt-hours for single weld for the "stronger" unit? Can answer? Thanks.

I think you would blow the mosfets with 48V. reconfigure for lower voltage.

Cool setup. I might have to try making one.

It might help to place one of those large 1F capacitors used in high-powered car stereos across the battery if your battery is a little weak.

riba2233 said:
aMmt4wEh.jpg

I an curious, are saying that you are welding copper strip to Nickel plated Li Ion cell cases ? I was under the
impression that copper can not be welded to Nickel or steel.

Hi, I'm finally offering my spot welders. After few prototypes had been made and tested, I finally have a final version which I can offer to folks on this forum.

Welders are based on mosfets that switch power from lead starter battery, a concept which has already been tested by some of users. This eliminates limits of your power outlet, and there's no problem if you have only 110 V plug. It doesn't matter because power for welding is being drawn from battery only. However, you need additional power source for logic, that can be small wall adapter or small 12 V battery.

I'm offering a kit that consists of:

Spot welder unit

Footswitch

Two electrodes that consist of - wire, handles, and tips for welding

Not included in kit, but needed for welding :

Lead starter battery, 40 Ah - 130 Ah, or 350 amps to 1100 amps

Standard 12 V wall DC adapter with barrel plug

I'm sure that most of you have this at home, and if not, they are not expensive. I've done most of my welding with one 45 Ah 380 A starter battery, which costs around 45$ in my country.

Welder uses battery power for welding, which is switched via six IRF1324 mosfets.

Pulse is controlled by PIC microprocessor, and it's double pulse, in a way that first pulse is one eight of the duration of the second pulse.

Second pulse is adjustable from 0 - 20 ms.

First pulse is just cleaning or surface preparation, and the second pulse is main pulse that does all the welding.

Welding power depends on battery used and pulse duration, and material type and thickness. There are many variables, but for example, with one 45 Ah battery, I can weld up to 0.15 mm nickel with around 6-8 ms pulse time, and 0.05 mm copper on ~15 ms pulse time. With two 45 Ah batteries, I can weld 0.15 mm nickel on 4-5 ms setting, 0.05 mm copper on 10 ms setting, and 0.1 mm copper on 15 ms. I can also weld 0.3 mm nickel on ~17 ms setting, however I would prefer welding it with bigger battery (at least 110 Ah) and shorter pulse time. For more experiences from other members who used similar setup, you can take a look at this thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59383

Prices is 140$.

You can pay using paypal, fee is included in price.

I'm located in Croatia, EU, and I can ship more or less world wide.
Shipping cost (air priority registered letter with tracking, for almost every location in the world) for one kit is 25$.

I can also offer parts of the kit separately, or even only PCB's. Contact me for pricing.

If you have any more questions, and I'm sure that there will be more questions, please ask here, so everyone can see the answer. I will add information to this post if I see that something is being asked frequently.

Thank you for reading, and please let me know what do you think (even if you are not planning on buying), I'm always open for suggestions! :D

Here are some videos that show what do you get in the kit and on how to use the welder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqrIO_Bvsak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_JC4YGrvwA

I'm sorry for my pronunciation, I know it's awful, and it turns out that I can't pronounce potentiometer for shit :lol: Please don't laugh :oops:

6nw98eSl.jpg

3NOyxdGl.jpg

MAmkoR9l.jpg

XdUqzeul.jpg

TCJk9lvl.jpg

hagerty1 said:
I an curious, are saying that you are welding copper strip to Nickel plated Li Ion cell cases ? I was under the
impression that copper can not be welded to Nickel or steel.

Hi, well yeah, it's 100% possible, and you can see it in the second video I've posted :)

Oh and please would you be kind and edit your post, there's no need to quote the whole post, thanks! :D

arkmundi said:
cwah said:

No where does it say its using A123 cells. Its the same thing being foisted everywhere else. If interested, please find out exactly what cell they are using and in what configuration, so we can determine what the power rating of this thing is.
Jenny-OSN POWER said:
Output voltage at auto start end 12V
Capacity:44.40WH
Output voltage:12V
Dimension: 156*74.5*28mm
Net Weight: 1.2KG
USB output: 5V 2.1A
Charge mode: CC/CV 15V/1A
Start current: 200A
Peak current: 400A (3S)
Cycle life: 1,000 times
Operation temperature range: -20℃to 60℃
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=68865&start=75#p1042940
arkmundi said:
..but noooooo. Its 18ah at maybe 1V or 2V, the "rated voltage", and you don't know, because the secret is hidden. So 36 wh at $78 or $2,166 per kwh. Not so happy anymore.
I'm amazed that my guess was more-or-less right-on. So 44.40WH ... still up there in the $2,000 per kwh range.

Brilliant. Do you have any left and how much is shipping to United Kingdom, thanks.

Very impressed that it can weld copper.

Jeremy Harris made me a welder, it is Capcitance-Discharge Oriented, Thyristor.

It welds Nickel but not copper.

EDIT: Is it possible to upgrade, at the users end, or change, the wire in the electrodes.

Thanks for the video, very instructive in how to use. I am still interested but recovering from being Knocked off my bike two days ago!!
Would surface shipping be any cheaper for sending the spot welders within the EU? - If a bit slower

Allex said:
Is it possible to use softer electrode wires, like silicone insulated instead? They seem quite stiff in the video.

Sure, but the silocon cable is like 10 times more expensive, but if someone wants, I can use it, but you will have to pay a bit more, and wait for me to get it :)

The Mighty Volt said:
Brilliant. Do you have any left and how much is shipping to United Kingdom, thanks.

Very impressed that it can weld copper.

Jeremy Harris made me a welder, it is Capcitance-Discharge Oriented, Thyristor.

It welds Nickel but not copper.

EDIT: Is it possible to upgrade, at the users end, or change, the wire in the electrodes.

Yes, I will stock them as far as there is demand.

Well if you change the wire you have almost made a whole new electrode :) But you could reuse wooden handle and tips if you are savvy enough.

Answer for the shipping is in reply to next post:

Pete1961 said:
Thanks for the video, very instructive in how to use. I am still interested but recovering from being Knocked off my bike two days ago!!
Would surface shipping be any cheaper for sending the spot welders within the EU? - If a bit slower

Well, I usually use registered priority air letter, which costs 25$ and has tracking. However, for EU there is cheaper option (air packet) but I'm not sure if it has tracking. It would cost 14$.
There is no surface option for EU, only for the rest of the world.

Can I spot weld to cells that have already been spot welded before? I have a battery that i want to configure into a different shape. If I pull off the existing nickel strips on the cells, can I spot weld back on to these same cells? Any issues?

Back