PROJECT no 4 Doc's Giant DH comp 2003

steveo said:
Hey Doc,

Will your PCB board fit in new gen x5 motor with all the relays and wiring?

I am deciding to sell my x5303 if i can not use dual winding x5303 - x5306 ... it all depends if your pcb will fit... I will keep motor then to experiment

please let me know !

thanks
-steveo

Steveo, I still dont have dissassembled the new gen X5, but i can say that the PCB and relay are very narrow!! I would say that the PCB solder side is max 8mm thick with the wiring included.

For the other side, the relay top just exceed a little bit from the aluminum frame.. maybe like 5mm max. Si i would say that the total added thickness to the 6 brace frame is around 13mm total.

i'll post pics soon.

UPDATE 28 july 2010

The motor is 100% finished!!!, The temp sensor, hal sensor and relay coil all fit perfectly in that 9 conductor flat PARLEX ribbond cable.

Also the Turnigy 10AWG silicone wire fit perfectly in the axel as well.

The wheel is assembled on the bike and now i'm fitting the 18 fets controller..

The welded aluminum lipo battery box is done too. I must find a way to fit it on the frame now.

The bike look very well with those 24 x 3.0 wide bite tires!!

Doc

More update to come!!! :mrgreen:

More PICS!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Looks GREAT DOC!! Don't leave us hanging hehe we want to see pics once it's all assembled. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ok ok.. :mrgreen:

I added 10 pics of the motor mod and assembly in the serie parallel electric transmission thread

For those who can't wait anymore!!! :wink:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9215&p=295337#p295337

but here is some more!!

( These 3600 Lumens of LED are so powerfull !!!! :shock: .. I believe they could really blind someone if not used carefully!!!) THE PICTURE BRIGHTNESS GIVE THE REAL IMPRESSION OF WHAT IT LOOK LIKE.. with trial and error i tried to modify the EV sensivity on the picture camera to show the real brightness)
:twisted:

Attachments

• Pics 007_800x600.jpg
    Pics 007_800x600.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 8,999
  • Pics 065_800x600.jpg
    Pics 065_800x600.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 8,999
  • Pics 067_800x600.jpg
    Pics 067_800x600.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 9,021
  • Pics 072_800x600.jpg
    Pics 072_800x600.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 8,999
  • Pics 075_800x600.jpg
    Pics 075_800x600.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 9,021
  • Pics 076_800x600.jpg
    Pics 076_800x600.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 9,021
  • Pics 081_800x600.jpg
    Pics 081_800x600.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 8,999
  • Pics 082_800x600.jpg
    Pics 082_800x600.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 9,021
  • Pics 083_800x600.jpg
    Pics 083_800x600.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 8,999
the giant is looking very stealth with that battery box,those led lights look to bright! :D

Nice :wink:

Not much time to write now but i want to share that with you ( as i said in the other thread):

:shock: TOTALLY INCREDIBLE !!!

I finally had a chance to test it !

I have beat my last speed record!!!

96.3km/hm USING A DH EBIKE !!!! :shock: :wink:

What i can conclude with minimal observations:

Serie or parallel give same acceleration from now.. the parallel give higher toop speed.

I get 68km/h in serie 5306 mode with 24s lipo.

i'll test more this weekend with bikeraider.

OGM.. i beated the 94.3km/h with a DH bike!!!... WTF.. I should work on the speed boke and make ot REALLY operatre as it should !!

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Not much time to write now but i want to share that with you ( as i said in the other thread):

:shock: TOTALLY INCREDIBLE !!!

I finally had a chance to test it !

I have beat my last speed record!!!

96.3km/hm USING A DH EBIKE !!!! :shock: :wink:

What i can conclude with minimal observations:

Serie or parallel give same acceleration from now.. the parallel give higher toop speed.

I get 68km/h in serie 5306 mode with 24s lipo.

i'll test more this weekend with bikeraider.

OGM.. i beated the 94.3km/h with a DH bike!!!... WTF.. I should work on the speed boke and make ot REALLY operatre as it should !!

Doc

Good Job doc!!!

even if series / parallel is same acceleration .. or very close... I gaurentee .. you will get alot less heat then just a regualar 5303 mode..

bottom line... was the dual winding motor worth it?

-steveo

Excellent work Doc, you are the man. Any chance we could see a video?

I'm arrived at Val-d'or , the city where Black Arrow is living, at near 750km from home.

We enjoyed our ebikes toady and that was very pleasant!.

Guess what!!?

Yesterday when i reached the 96kmh, that was with current limited to 60A.

So i reprogrammed it to 100A and ...

I broke the 100kmh mark !!!

The limiting factor was... The cycle analyst max speed limit to 99kmh max setable!!!

Tomorrow i'll put my GPS on it and will disconnect the ebrake wire ( th) on the cycle analyst to bypass the limitation.

Blackarrow was riding at 70kmh and he said I passed him like an arrow!!!

We are now charging and we repaired one bad parallel block of cells of Blackarrow and we will re-ride tonight with our 5600 lumen total LED !! :twisted:

Tomorrow we will try to catch something on camera for you as well!!!

Doc

Doctorbass said:
I'm arrived at Val-d'or , the city where Black Arrow is living, at near 750km from home.

We enjoyed our ebikes toady and that was very pleasant!.

Guess what!!?

Yesterday when i reached the 96kmh, that was with current limited to 60A.

So i reprogrammed it to 100A and ...

I broke the 100kmh mark !!!

The limiting factor was... The cycle analyst max speed limit to 99kmh max setable!!!

Tomorrow i'll put my GPS on it and will disconnect the ebrake wire ( th) on the cycle analyst to bypass the limitation.

Blackarrow was riding at 70kmh and he said I passed him like an arrow!!!

We are now charging and we repaired one bad parallel block of cells of Blackarrow and we will re-ride tonight with our 5600 lumen total LED !! :twisted:

Tomorrow we will try to catch something on camera for you as well!!!

Doc

Doc,

Put your C/a in MPH

you will be able to go to 99mph!!!

the mph setting on the c/a means your hitting stupied fast speeds :D

be careful doc, thats insanity on a bike 100km/h+

take a video on the highway LOL

-steveo

UPDATE!!

106km/h

Will post video tomorrow!

I can't show the CA speed or GPS but a great way to veryfy is the speed and sound of the tires grip!!!

if you dont believe that 106kmh, record the sound of the tire main frequency sound and calculate with the wheel diameter and search for the number of grip on that tire over the net.. and you'll be able to confirm! :wink:

that's the way i thought you could double check...

Doc

:shock:

Holy cow! We are witnessing some serious history in the making guys... congratulations doc!!! I plan to go back over this thread and read it through!

-Dylan

Those speeds are awesome!!! At the risk of sounding like your Mom, I hope you are wearing some Road-Rash protection. Joe Rocket and others make some very light Mesh Textile jackets with body armor. http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants
Keep the Rubber Side Down!!
SK

here is the video:

[youtube]j5qqNMfIZe8[/youtube]

Doc

Doctorbass said:
here is the video:

[youtube]j5qqNMfIZe8[/youtube]

Doc

doc does this mean i have to go faster ? hehehheh :p

[youtube]dfef7JgL240[/youtube]

-steveo

Some interesting PERFORMANCES data:

With that controller, my top speed is limited by the current limit !!

With the Lyen controller limited to 76A ( rated current)

I get 98.9A max continuous current on my calibrated CA from 90km/h and up.

My V2.11 CA can only have a 99A limit in the Low mode.. so it is set to 99A...

That mean that the controller 76A set rated current ( with original no mod shunt) is not really the best acurate value!

but now i know that my speed is limited by the current.. that seem normal with a 5303 on 25" wheel

My shunt is 880 uohms (0.88 mohms).. i ll check if i could not set it in High mode with 0.88 mohms

I dont remeber the max shunt value for that mode.

Doc

UPDATE 15 aout 2010

Afte many great ride with foll acceleration and abuse, the controller have prooven that it is reallly sensitive !! more than when using my 5305 or in the 5306 mode of my new built!!

That's the 5th time i'm repairing it this week !!!

each time blown mosfet bank !!

well.. that 5303 is a TRUE PHASE AMP monster !!!

I blown my 18 fets controller a 5th time now !!!

I feel lucky cause i'm able to repair it each time and it's not everybody that can do that ... but THIS TIME.. the PCB seem having killer damadge !!

It happened yesterday while i was passing a civic at around 90-95kmh !! :mrgreen:

The controller just blown and the motor began to vibrate as usuall ( one phase on one side short...)

But that's not all..

at that speed the bemf is so high and the current generated by teh motor is so hi than the mosfet that shorted re-opened !!! and generated a loop short circuit that make another bank of 3 fets blown !!!

I heard a BIIIIG BANG !!! inside that little aluminum box!!

OMG.. I thought!... in advance i was conscient that when i'll open it i'll see dark smoke and fumes and black dust inside... :(

And... YES... that was a TOTAL BLAST !!!!

So intense than i dont know if i'll be able to repair it a 6th time due to the blast that also vaporized some traces and little smt conponents around the fets!

Yes.. I has fuses.. but that was 2 40A fuse with one modified for 60A ( i added a little strand soldered on top) for a total of around 100A... of fuse

but the fuse became the controller !!!! :shock:

Here is some pics of it

I definitively MUST FIND A WAY TO GET A COPY OF THESE 36 fets controller !!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i'm tired of controlelr that have fear when seeing a 5303 !!! :roll:

Attachments

• P1080033.JPG
    P1080033.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 6,482
  • P1080034.JPG
    P1080034.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 6,482
  • P1080036.JPG
    P1080036.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 6,482
  • P1080037.JPG
    P1080037.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 6,480
  • P1080038.JPG
    P1080038.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 6,480
Oh.. and for those who could think that: I must specify thet the black wire you see AFTER the shunt is not the battery connection.. it's a DC output i connected at that place to be able to monitor the power that every auxiliary stuff like light, gps etc are consuming!

( it consist on a connector that the negative is connected AFTER the shunt so that the shunt also measure the power consumption of the auxiliary device i added to the ebike..

as well as i can also charge the battery thru that connector so the Ah are counting i reverse!.. because the current is going reverse as usual. Let say i have 9.8Ah counsumed on the last run, if i charge the battery, i'll see the Ah like 9.8.... 9.7....9.6... etc until it reach 0Ah ( near a full charge)

Doc

I am now working on a small 250W hub motor for testing my blown/repaired controllers instead the need of each time assemble the controlelr on the ebike and lift the rear wheel.. :roll:

now i can test the controller on my bench using a real hub motor.

Doc

Hey Doc,
Since you already have your windings split in half, what about putting a controller on each one? Wouldn't 2 18fet controllers be better than 1 36fet?

John in CR said:
Hey Doc,
Since you already have your windings split in half, what about putting a controller on each one? Wouldn't 2 18fet controllers be better than 1 36fet?

Hmmm.. seem a bit complicated !

6x 10 gauge wire out of that X5 !! :| ..

Doc

Ypedal said:
Nice frame doc !!! and i agree with the 24" rims, damn hard to find but they are out there.

I've been ripping around town on the BMX lately and i miss the norco's full suspension alot.. i'm swamped with work but have the norco 75% done... waiting for the lipo hehe..

I managed to retain the eyelets on some rims by using a round file ( used to sharpen chainsaw teeth !! ) takes time and alot of elbow grease but 12g nipples can it in eyelets with enough determination, uhhh.. actually... now that i think of it radial spokes may only be possible with eyelets, for 1 cross the eyelets may have to go completely.. :|

One thing that struck me when watching your video of filing out the eyelets is you used from 8 to 15 strokes on your first attempt. The 15 strokes had the nipples fitting and the 8 did not. Then you used 10-12 strokes on the original 8 to make them fit. Maybe you want to look at your own video and count the strokes? Make sense?

Doctorbass said:
UPDATE 15 aout 2010

Afte many great ride with foll acceleration and abuse, the controller have prooven that it is reallly sensitive !! more than when using my 5305 or in the 5306 mode of my new built!!

That's the 5th time i'm repairing it this week !!!

each time blown mosfet bank !!

well.. that 5303 is a TRUE PHASE AMP monster !!!

I blown my 18 fets controller a 5th time now !!!

I feel lucky cause i'm able to repair it each time and it's not everybody that can do that ... but THIS TIME.. the PCB seem having killer damadge !!

It happened yesterday while i was passing a civic at around 90-95kmh !! :mrgreen:

The controller just blown and the motor began to vibrate as usuall ( one phase on one side short...)

But that's not all..

at that speed the bemf is so high and the current generated by teh motor is so hi than the mosfet that shorted re-opened !!! and generated a loop short circuit that make another bank of 3 fets blown !!!

I heard a BIIIIG BANG !!! inside that little aluminum box!!

You have blown your controller 5 times in a week Doc :shock: Amazing you don't get hassled and mocked when you do it
and i get nothing but wise ass remarks when it happened to me once accompanied by
the usual "rc setups are unreliable" crap...funny that isn't it John in Cr.

Honeslty hope you get it sorted though Doc, i am sure a fella with your knowledge, capabilities and contacts will
have no problem getting some reliability and high speed ... look forward to future vids Doc ..all the best :)

KiM

Gordo said:
Ypedal said:
Nice frame doc !!! and i agree with the 24" rims, damn hard to find but they are out there.

I've been ripping around town on the BMX lately and i miss the norco's full suspension alot.. i'm swamped with work but have the norco 75% done... waiting for the lipo hehe..

I managed to retain the eyelets on some rims by using a round file ( used to sharpen chainsaw teeth !! ) takes time and alot of elbow grease but 12g nipples can it in eyelets with enough determination, uhhh.. actually... now that i think of it radial spokes may only be possible with eyelets, for 1 cross the eyelets may have to go completely.. :|

One thing that struck me when watching your video of filing out the eyelets is you used from 8 to 15 strokes on your first attempt. The 15 strokes had the nipples fitting and the 8 did not. Then you used 10-12 strokes on the original 8 to make them fit. Maybe you want to look at your own video and count the strokes? Make sense?

The number of strokes don't matter, depends on how much pressure you apply on the file. Also, some eyelets are harder than others ( weird, but you can feel it when working the suckers... also .. the file has some dull spots from alot of use.. ) all boils down to un-even nubmer of strokes ! :wink:

And AJ.. Doc and Methods ..LFP.. and a few more don't qualify to be among us " normal " power hungry bastards.. they are in a class of their own lol..

Back