Rod's Raptor 140 Build

I still need to do some soldiering and then my packs ready to test. I'm also fitting a circuit breaker under the seat bracket. Looks like I'll also have enough room to fit the max-e as well. Currently has the mini.

Hi Rodney, just noticed your build thread and read through it.

Just wondering, why don't you put the controller under the bike and use the controller cover. First, the bike looks much better with the cover on in my opinion and you will also have plenty of air flow on the controller.

Offroader said:

Just wondering, why don't you put the controller under the bike and use the controller cover. First, the bike looks much better with the cover on in my opinion and you will also have plenty of air flow on the controller.

Offroader, I may as I have a max-e on the way. Actually inside the controller has reasonable heat sink. May put the mini on my phasor and cro on my Raptor. Im 5.9 and the 17 inch MC rims will suit me better as the bikes a bit tall. Currently running 26 inch rims on my raptor and its too tall. I like to touch the ground.

Rodney64 said:
Offroader said:

Offroader, I may as I have a max-e on the way. Actually inside the controller has reasonable heat sink. May put the mini on my phasor and cro on my Raptor. Im 5.9 and the 17 inch MC rims will suit me better as the bikes a bit tall. Currently running 26 inch rims on my raptor and its too tall. I like to touch the ground.

You should really test out the motorcycle seat.

Definitely put the 17" on and get the shinko 241 3" tire, run about 15PSI also. That's just my recommendation. The fat 3" and low PSI will cushion the ride a lot on the heavy rear.

Yes I may try the motorcycle seat.

Rode to work today and used 1100 watt hours over 21k. But i averaged 41k per hour. Will be interesting to see if I get home.

I am also trying the circuit breaker under the seat. It's working well so far.

Mind the time zone Rix :wink: Rod would have only just arrived at work not long ago so you wont know for a good few hours.

Rodney64 said:
Rode to work today and used 1100 watt hours over 21k. But i averaged 41k per hour
That seems excessive Rod, over 50whr/km! Were you in start stop traffic with lots of WOT bursts off the line or long hills? Even hooning around with mine running at 12kw I dont think I ever saw figures that high. Though I wasnt running fat moto tyres.

If you keep the speed down to around 30km/hr and the consumption down to a more reasonable and totally doable 25whr/km you should make it home without having to work up a sweat.

What rating circuit breaker are you using ? I take it it's a standard 12v automotive type from the look of it ?

I hope you don't leave the bike too long anywhere with that cable lock either. I'm guilty of using something similar but I wouldn't leave it out of my sight for long - they're easily snipped through by would-be thieves, especially if you regularly leave the bike somewhere and they have time to case the joint.

Mind the time zone Rix Rod would have only just arrived at work not long ago so you wont know for a good few hours

I forgot, while its Sunday evening here, its Monday afternoon for you guys. Good call amigo :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
Mind the time zone Rix :wink: Rod would have only just arrived at work not long ago so you wont know for a good few hours.

Rodney64 said:
Rode to work today and used 1100 watt hours over 21k. But i averaged 41k per hour
That seems excessive Rod, over 50whr/km! Were you in start stop traffic with lots of WOT bursts off the line or long hills? Even hooning around with mine running at 12kw I dont think I ever saw figures that high. Though I wasnt running fat moto tyres.

If you keep the speed down to around 30km/hr and the consumption down to a more reasonable and totally doable 25whr/km you should make it home without having to work up a sweat.

What rating circuit breaker are you using ? I take it it's a standard 12v automotive type from the look of it ?

I hope you don't leave the bike too long anywhere with that cable lock either. I'm guilty of using something similar but I wouldn't leave it out of my sight for long - they're easily snipped through by would-be thieves, especially if you regularly leave the bike somewhere and they have time to case the joint.

Yes it is excessive Jay. But I hammered it to work. Rick wanted to know how far I could got at 50kph.

It's a dc 60 amp Jay.

http://m.jaycar.com.au/m_productView.asp?ID=SZ2081

Rodney64 said:
Getting ready to ride home. According to my calculations I still have 63% of my battery remaining.
What calculations are they Rod ?
As discussed last night in PM I wouldn't bank on more than 1800whr from the pack, so it's actually more like 63% USED than remaining.
If you want to run it right down to see the maximum whr I'd highly recommend taking it easy getting home and then doing laps around the neighborhood, otherwise you'll end up feeling like you're pedaling those pallets of bricks pictured behind your bike :p

Hyena said:
Rodney64 said:
Getting ready to ride home. According to my calculations I still have 63% of my battery remaining.
What calculations are they Rod ?
As discussed last night in PM I wouldn't bank on more than 1800whr from the pack, so it's actually more like 63% USED than remaining.
If you want to run it right down to see the maximum whr I'd highly recommend taking it easy getting home and then doing laps around the neighborhood, otherwise you'll end up feeling like you're pedaling those pallets of bricks pictured behind your bike :p

This is where I got the 63% from. I put the calculation in to the adaptto. I have miss read the computer 1118 remaining, 790wh used.

I have made it home. This test was for Rix.

Looks like 490wh remaining so ill do laps around my suburb tomorrow.

Batteries now are 74 volts. I'm not sure what the low voltage cut off is. average speed for the 44 kms was 37kms an hour. this includes stopping for lights.

What type of pack is that 21s?

You brought the voltage down to 74, that would mean like ~3.55 a cell for lipo. I guess they can take it but I usually don't go below 3.70.

Yes 29E which can actually technically discharge down to 2.5/cell according to the spec sheet.
Not that you'd see perfectly even discharge but theoretically you could see the voltage drop below 60v before the BMS cuts out.
Li-ion will sag more than lipo to deliver it's full capacity so you can expect to see it sitting at lower voltages towards the end of its discharge. I wouldn't expect it to last past the mid 60s though before cutting out. As usual it's best not to push a battery to full discharge like this but I guess you're just testing the boundaries right Rod ? After you establish the possible watt hours from a heavy discharge like this it'd be interesting to see the difference from a light load discharge. You'd get a bit more, but on the whole I'm not sure how significant it'd be given you're only pulling multiple C rates for a few seconds while accelerating and the rest of the time while cruising only around 1C or possibly less.
Looking at your stats, it seems your average voltage was 77.1v and watthours used 1416, so your average current draw over the whole trip was 18.3A. This is just 0.7C with your 25ah battery so not a real stressful load, even when riding hard. If your cells follow the below tested discharge curves you could expect to get around 24ah I reckon :)
Of course this is just based on averages and doesn't take into account how the batteries respond to delivering burst power and mixed higher and lower loads rather than constant loads in these tests.

Here's the discharge graphs of these 29E cells at different loads - keep in mind this is for a single cell so you'd need to multiply these figures by 9 (as yours is 9P) for AH and multiply by 9 and then by 21 (for the series string count) for watt hours.

Samsung%20INR18650-29E%202900mAh%20(Blue)-Capacity.png

Samsung%20INR18650-29E%202900mAh%20(Blue)-Energy.png

Most people here swear to keep it 4.1 to 3.7 volts for longest life.

I really don't think it makes that much of a difference as people here make it out to be. I even read someone testing a pack and really charging it very high and discharging it very low and it was holding normal capacity after 100's of cycles.

I believe most capacity is loss due to age than use. Maybe by babying the battery it will save you like $50 -100 after a couple of years because of the longer life but it really is not worth the savings to have limited range.

Rodney64 said:

[]

Batteries now are 74 volts. I'm not sure what the low voltage cut off is. average speed for the 44 kms was 37kms an hour. this includes stopping for lights.

Rod, very impressive figures there. That HEB battery is the shiznit! I am curious what the total usable wh are in warm weather above 80F

Rix said:
Rodney64 said:

[]

Rod, very impressive figures there. That HEB battery is the shiznit! I am curious what the total usable wh are in warm weather above 80F

Yes ill run it down and post up the stats.

Great, they delivered all of the juice back to you =)
Internal resistance is quite high on those tho, 134mOh at the end...but this is what you get with high capacity 18650 cells. Better have 20S and more P so you get less stress on the packs - less sag.

Back