Rod's Raptor 140 Build

Rod, I was just wondering when you were going to slap the 17s back on with the 3.00-17 SR241 front and rear. Got to tell you, I am super curious how that looks. Naturally I wouldn't expect you to swap running gear on my account :lol: but still, I think it would look like the coolest super moto Raptor on the planet.

Rix said:
Rod, I was just wondering when you were going to slap the 17s back on with the 3.00-17 SR241 front and rear. Got to tell you, I am super curious how that looks. Naturally I wouldn't expect you to swap running gear on my account :lol: but still, I think it would look like the coolest super moto Raptor on the planet.

Rick, I'm dreading changing the tyre, last time I punctured 2 tubes. If I do the rear and at least get the bike running. I also need to swap the 4065 into the 17 inch and fit the addapto temp sensor. I think I read somewhere that I can flash new software for the 10k heat sensor. So I have a few things to do. At the moment I've been riding to work and the slick 26 inch are nice to pedal. I also have a max-e so I haven't decided what to do with it.

Rix said:
Very impressive Rod, with just about 2kw of usable wh, you can do some epic bush rides with that :mrgreen:

Yes I'm pleased. My lipo pack had 1100wh usable after 2 years. So a big increase. I can ride to work and home now at the steady 40ks per hour, 5 minutes slower than I can drive so happy with the outcome.

Rod, I also punctured a tube and hate doing the tire changes. Sometimes it goes smoothly, many times not. I use rim protectors also which makes the job a bit harder.

Did you put a little air in the tube before closing the tire? I always did that, then forgot to do it once and punctured the tube.

Rodney64 said:
Offfoader, at the start I never then after a couple of failures yes I put a little air in.

Yeah, it makes a big difference. I didn't do it once because I forgot as it was a long time I did a tire change. Punctured the tube and it put two holes in the tube. Fixed only one hole (didn't think to check for another), remounted it leaked. Had to remove again to fix the other hole. What a nightmare.

My max-e arrived today so I gave it a quick try. Haven't made any charges yet in advanced settings but plan to over the new year. Just riding around the suburb I noticed that I was needing to brake harder so obviously I was getting higher speeds a lot quicker. Ill also be able to fit the controller to the top of the frame in the same place that I had the mini. Its currently just sitting there.

Plan on tiding it up tomorrow. Ill try the double sided tape this time to attach the controller to the frame.

Very impressive capacity Rod, I'm pleasantly surprised that you've actually got better than quoted amp hours from the 29E pack, especially ridden hard.
82km/hr is plenty fast enough and impressive from the 4065 given it can otherwise be quite economical and efficient when the speed is kept down.

And yep, I had the batteries made with the intention of fitting an internal controller, originally an 18 fet infineon but the max-e is a similar size.
It's a bit hard to tell from your photo but is the battery actually sitting up off the base of the frame ? If not it's best to fit a piece of high density foam so raise it up so it's sitting in line with the side cover opening. Although the battery is padded I wouldn't want it sitting directly on the bottom as it could move around and hit the internally welded nuts and potentially wear over time

Oh, and it looks like we're both sporting new furry friends this Christmas!

Hyena said:
Very impressive capacity Rod, I'm pleasantly surprised that you've actually got better than quoted amp hours from the 29E pack, especially ridden hard.
82km/hr is plenty fast enough and impressive from the 4065 given it can otherwise be quite economical and efficient when the speed is kept down.

And yep, I had the batteries made with the intention of fitting an internal controller, originally an 18 fet infineon but the max-e is a similar size.
It's a bit hard to tell from your photo but is the battery actually sitting up off the base of the frame ? If not it's best to fit a piece of high density foam so raise it up so it's sitting in line with the side cover opening. Although the battery is padded I wouldn't want it sitting directly on the bottom as it could move around and hit the internally welded nuts and potentially wear over time

Oh, and it looks like we're both sporting new furry friends this Christmas!

Yes very pleased with the results Jay. I've just charged the pack again yestersay so the pack was on 87 volt when I rode it. I have the pack sitting on tuff clad. Well that's what we call it at work. Looks similar material to the side covers to Keplers battery box. I've bolted it to the bottom of the frame with countersunk bolts. When I got back the controller temp was 40 degrees so being internally fitted isn't even going to bother it at all. Yes we have a cat 6 years without one, 16 year old daughter.

In the past I have just let people ride my bikes. I'll defently need to make sure it's safe if anyone rides it in the future. I've had the wheel pop up on a couple of occasions now. :mrgreen:

Went riding today with Chris (Jonescg) from his house to the beach and back, cruising at traffic speed. Chris was riding my Raptor on the way then we swapped on the way back. Lovely weather for a ride. When Chris first rode my Raptor when he took off the wheel lifted and I yelled. I think Chris will be the only one riding it on 10KW. it was a 22km round trip, 1000whs used.

Yeah that was a fun ride. When an E-max scooter can hammer along at 65 km/h and the e-bike keeps up with it, it tends to gather a bit of attention :D Gorgeous day for it.

jonescg said:
Yeah that was a fun ride. When an E-max scooter can hammer along at 65 km/h and the e-bike keeps up with it, it tends to gather a bit of attention :D Gorgeous day for it.

I never noticed the attention. Too busy hanging onto the emax handle bars.

Rodney64 said:
Went riding today with Chris (Jonescg) from his house to the beach and back, cruising at traffic speed. Chris was riding my Raptor on the way then we swapped on the way back. Lovely weather for a ride. When Chris first rode my Raptor when he took off the wheel lifted and I yelled. I think Chris will be the only one riding it on 10KW. it was a 22km round trip, 1000whs used.

10KW is the new 4KW standard now. I imagine Chris could handle just about anything on two wheels with that road racing beast he built.

Rodney64 said:
The emax had that much power ? Sounds like I need to up my game :p

Good to see your stats, I can see you must have been hammering it much harder as your average voltage is actually dipped under nominal. How often were your seeing power up around 10kw ? Or was that just a spike ? That's 5C which would have been giving your 29E pack a bit of a hard time if it saw that for more than the occasional squirt. The pack will be happier if you keep it down to 5-7kw for the most part but who cares about battery life when you're hooning on a 10kw raptor right ? :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
Rodney64 said:

Good to see your stats, I can see you must have been hammering it much harder as your average voltage is actually dipped under nominal. How often were your seeing power up around 10kw ? Or was that just a spike ? That's 5C which would have been giving your 29E pack a bit of a hard time if it saw that for more than the occasional squirt. The pack will be happier if you keep it down to 5-7kw for the most part but who cares about battery life when you're hooning on a 10kw raptor right ? :mrgreen:

Yah, the those cells are getting a workout. :twisted: Talk about your overtraining. :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
Rodney64 said:

Missed this, Yes it would only have been a spike, Chris gave it a good workout and then the 80 amp overload tripped. Ill put the mini back into the Raptor and the Max into the Phasor with the cromotor. Actually there is not a lot of benefit having a max-e on a 4065. The scooter may have been hotted up, I had it going 75kpm. As a said it was a fast trip to the beach and back 22kms, no cars passed us. :mrgreen:

Hyena said:

Jay this is how I covered the bottom and rear of the frame. I have a strap going over the battery but looking at other option as there is still moving going over curbs. Maybe filling up the gap between the controller and the battery maybe enough.

This weekend I changed my rear disc brake. After fitting the rear wheel back I oviously never tightened up the bolts on the dropouts. The 5ml bolts on the previous installation had Loctite but I never applied it this time and one was loose and the other was missing. One side was stretched to 14ml and the other 12ml. This caused the axle to spin. I hadn't yet cable tied the cables so the xt150 just pulled apart.

Ive since installed some doctor bass torque arms on either side and so far it looks ok. The bolt holes on the torque arms were close to being spot on .4ml out. The bolt holes on the raptor frame are threaded 5mm so I have had to install them on the outside. Fingers crossed that this works.

Rodney, do you like the gold colored DNM fork?

Or do you think it would look better in black?

I can't make up my mind.

pendragon8000 said:
I didn't know you spun an axle Rod. I'm glad to see its all fixed. I thought the raptor guys made torque arms for them?
It never damaged the wiring as I had t cable tied it back on and pulled out phase wires. It was my fault as I hadn't tightened everything up. I have now added the torque arms.

Back