• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Solvent / remover for silicone sealant

NeilP

1 GW
Solvent or remover for silicone sealant? Anyone know of something that can remove silicone without disolving the glue/ shellac/ insulation on a hub motor?

Last time I had to replace a hall sensor, I fixed it with silicone.
Now I have to replace another, can't clean up the mess I made last time with silicone, so can't get new wires through the windings, as holes are bunged up with silicone

Razor blade, knife, screw driver, scraper, scrubber = (3M Scotch-Brite™ General Purpose Scouring Pad). Best solvent on this planet is water.
I just bought some of these: Dremel 511E EZ Lock Finishing Abrasive Buffs - 180 & 280 grit (2 Pack)
r19880v15.jpg

Try a good DIY store. There are several solvents available for getting it off, few seem to cause damage to paints etc AKAIK. Here's an example of the stuff: http://www.transtools.co.uk/sealants-and-adhesives/sealants/bond-it-silicone-sealant-remover-and-eater-100ml

I recall WD-40 or CRC were ideal for removing various goos, especially those left by window tinting when peeled off. It could have a similar effect on silicone?

Otherwise, try an alkaline solvent. It's nasty shit, but it dissolves everything. Potassium hydroxide in isopropyl alcohol removes anything that isn't glass from the filthiest of glassware in the lab, but chances are it will remove the wire enamel and eventually your motor too. An alternative is THF (tetrahydrofuran) but it's hard to get and also pretty nasty.

Ok, thanks for those.

Physical removal not possible down between the windings, so solvent of a sort is only way.

Had fairly good results with petrol ( avgas) so far. But now I have started, I remember I also used a super glue type stuff that you use with a filler. That stuff is hard!

use the tip of an old soldering iron to dig it out, add some heat with a small torch to get it hot enuff and it will come off the metal. clean with benzene or acetone if you cannot get to some benzene.

Cheers.

got most of the silicone out now...mix of avgas and printer head cleaning fluid :)

The old super glue proving a bit more of a challenge..but I have a few days..i ran out of spare halls, so awaiting the Xmas postal service delivery of new ones.

Pocking with wooden tooth pick at the moment, trying to enlarge the holes. Am tempted to run wires up through other holes and along the top of the windings. Just a pair of wires for 5volt. 5 volt buss running along the top..then just need single wires down the holes to the loom

cyanoacrylate is water-soluble, but it can take a while to dissolve. The hotter the water is, the better it will dissolve the CA.

I couldn't remember what else might dissolve it, so I googled and found this:
http://www.bookrags.com/research/cyanoacrylate-chmc/
which reminded me that it is also an alcohol-based compound, so various organic solvents (like acetone) ought to work well on it.

Yes. I had done a v. quick google too, but it was finding something thatwould not damage the coil varnish that ws the concern.
I feared that some of the suggestion may strip the varnish off the coil windings too and leave me with a shorted set of windings

If people seal that with silicone or what ever moisture still gets in there. Thats according to Justin, it still comes thru the wires. Hard to believe but thats what his tests showed.

Back