Trial riders need their clutch?

Alan B said:
Perhaps the clutch is just more precise a control than an ICE throttle. The fuel swirls around the carburetor and takes a while to get consumed. Both onset and cancellation of power is delayed compared to a clutch OR A FAST MOTOR CONTROLLER.

I notice on the Leaf EV that power control is much more precise than on ICE vehicles.

Yeah it is hard to say, my own goofing around on trial bikes is limited to rides that had trials engine swapped. To get more bottom end out of mopeds or 125 cc and better fit back country riding. If there is a controller that is within reach of the average DIY that can deliver power and torque so precisely that it will sit well with experienced trial riders I say you are right. If power deliver is not snappy enough for them to overcome each obstacle with electric motor and controller I guess it is time to either find a better controllers, or just bolt on a jackshaft with a clutch.

What gives a rider maximum control? Dumping the clutch or twisting the throttle? It could actually be that time is not such an important factor, maybe absolute control is more important then timing?

If so even with carburettors slow and many steps required to react to input (twisting motion, wire, lifting/closing of piston on carburettor etc) the added control of the torque will trump the card of time.

If its not the stored energy of the flywheel doing the work than bolting a clutch on an underpowered electric motor wont help right? A spinning electric motor under no load would still be at very low current so the controller would still need to be able to ramp up current quick enough to mimic a clutch dump.

Would the phase current required to instantly ramp up high power be way less if the motor were already spinning fast?

Regarding what gives a rider more control, clutch vs throttle, that all depends on the motor. Peaky gas motor with a narrow powerband would obviously be the clutch. Get the engine into the power and use the clutch to select how much gets to the wheel. With an electric motor it would be throttle for sure because you can choose high torque at low rpm or low torque at high rpm for the same power. The power band is way more broad. Its only at the absolute extreme end of the range where the current needed at zero rpm might exceed the capabilities of our available controller choices.

macribs said:
Alan B said:
Perhaps the clutch is just more precise a control than an ICE throttle. The fuel swirls around the carburetor and takes a while to get consumed. Both onset and cancellation of power is delayed compared to a clutch OR A FAST MOTOR CONTROLLER.

I notice on the Leaf EV that power control is much more precise than on ICE vehicles.

Yeah it is hard to say, my own goofing around on trial bikes is limited to rides that had trials engine swapped. To get more bottom end out of mopeds or 125 cc and better fit back country riding. If there is a controller that is within reach of the average DIY that can deliver power and torque so precisely that it will sit well with experienced trial riders I say you are right. If power deliver is not snappy enough for them to overcome each obstacle with electric motor and controller I guess it is time to either find a better controllers, or just bolt on a jackshaft with a clutch.

What gives a rider maximum control? Dumping the clutch or twisting the throttle? It could actually be that time is not such an important factor, maybe absolute control is more important then timing?

If so even with carburettors slow and many steps required to react to input (twisting motion, wire, lifting/closing of piston on carburettor etc) the added control of the torque will trump the card of time.

With trials riding timing and absolute control of the machine are critical. Dumping the clutch is only one technique.

DanGT86 said:
If its not the stored energy of the flywheel doing the work than bolting a clutch on an underpowered electric motor wont help right? A spinning electric motor under no load would still be at very low current so the controller would still need to be able to ramp up current quick enough to mimic a clutch dump.

Would the phase current required to instantly ramp up high power be way less if the motor were already spinning fast?

Regarding what gives a rider more control, clutch vs throttle, that all depends on the motor. Peaky gas motor with a narrow powerband would obviously be the clutch. Get the engine into the power and use the clutch to select how much gets to the wheel. With an electric motor it would be throttle for sure because you can choose high torque at low rpm or low torque at high rpm for the same power. The power band is way more broad. Its only at the absolute extreme end of the range where the current needed at zero rpm might exceed the capabilities of our available controller choices.

Very good points. The trials bikes use a very heavy flywheel compared to an MX bike so they have better low end torque. I don’t really think it is the weight of the flywheel that helps so much on a launch but more the fact that the bike is in its power band and you can put all of that HP to the wheel at once.
As far as control....I would love a clutch on my BBS02 that I could work along with the throttle for precise slow speed and lift the front wheel control. That’s probably just because that is how I learned to ride and the fact that I only have experience with low power Ebikes so far.

Mike

There is a significant torque bump at clutch dump from stored flywheel energy. Flywheel mass also hurts acceleration post lockup. A light weight large diameter rotor would be much better than the clutch if you could somehow dial in the pulses more precisely than most of the present controller - throttle setups. Instead of a clutch, possibly a lever that acted as a energy level control that would work in conjunction with the throttle much like a 3 speed switch- ebrake. To keep some of the braking heat out of the motor, a external eddy current brake could be added.
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/there_is_no_torque_loss.htm
clutch_dump.jpg

This could get exponentially complicated regarding ICE behavior during clutch dumps. Combustion engines are juggling many different aspects of physics at the same time. Drastically changing vacuum conditions in a motor cause atomized fuel to precipitate out of the air charge and puddle. Combustion engines are also very dependent on resonance regarding air entering and leaving the combustion chamber. Drastic load changes really mess up power output of gas engines over small time scales. A flywheel and or clutch slippage can cover for this enough to minimize the stalling effects for long enough that the motor can recover. On top of all that Gas motors don't produce a huge amount of torque for their size compared to electric motors.

An electric motor doesn't have to deal with as many variables of chemistry and physics. Its just a matter of how fast the current can be delivered and how efficiently it can make torque with it. Considering we use cycle analysts and throttle tamers to tune out wheelies I'm thinking we already have more than enough torque for a trials bike of equal capabilities to modern gas trials bikes.

For a brief period of time I had a Chevy Aveo wagon that was converted to electric using a 9"DC motor. It still had the original 5 speed transmission and clutch. It didn't take long to notice that 1st 2nd and 3rd gear felt pretty much the same at launch. Revving it up and releasing the clutch the way I would with a gas motor made no real noticeable difference in the acceleration. It was actually a pretty strange feeling when you were expecting it to feel like a normal car. I don't know why I didn't remember that until just now but its relevant to the conversation as an EV with a clutch. Clutch dumps were virtually unnoticeable compared to regular acceleration.

I wish I had a more scientific/empirical method to test it but my gut feeling is when it comes to electric bikes then the answer is No, trials riders don't need their clutch.

McRibs, I think your buddy was either being overly critical or your 15kw hub powered bike is being controller/throttle ramp limited. My 6kw hub motor will loop right out from under me without the CA3 in charge of the throttle. Thats in a 24" wheel geared for just under 50mph. In a mid-drive geared for around 30mph I think it would be too snappy.

Something else to consider regarding comparing power levels between motors is that just because you're putting 10kw into it doesn't mean you get 10kw out at the road.

It also doesn't mean the torque will be the same between two bikes; you could have a 6kw bike that has more torque at a particular speed than a 10kw bike at the same speed.

Both can be caused by motor saturation from too high a phase current (that makes it seem like the power level is high), which might make extra heat without making extra torque.

AW good point. A controller pushing 15 kw does not equal 15 kw on the rear tire.

How much of the power from the controller is lost in wires, resistance and heat? Some moter are better then others, and I seem to recall the hubmonster being the top most effective hub at one time, at around 93-94% efficient.

A lot of our energy stored in the battery pack vanishes into heat. And I guess that is partly why I got that comment in the first place. Usually when someone gets a go on the vector they come back grinning like a greedy kid at an "eat all you want buffet".

So yes, the comment was made partly I am sure is due to (in)efficiencies, too much energy turned into heat. Yet I've taken great steps to avoid and shed heat. Wires thick as garden hoses, short as possible. Oil filled hub etc. The rest probably due to the controller.

Not that this matter to me and for the riding I do, but I really would like to dig deep into this matter to see if it is solvable, or possible a non existing matter. If this matter is resolved I think we can also shave a little time of our acceleration as well. :twisted:
As we would know better how to dial in controller and transfer the energy in the most efficient way from the battery to the rear wheel.

Severe necro-posting I know, please excuse me. It's just this is exactly what I'm grappling with currently.

I'm not a particularly good trials rider, but I can make a rough imitation of most of the key trials maneuvers - Double-blips, zaps, splatters etc.
I think the excerpt below has a fair bit of relevance to the discussion:

sn0wchyld said:
another test i thought of - rev an engine up to 10krpm, release the throttle and before the rpms drop too much, dump the clutch (with no throttle). i bet it doesn't leap away anything like it does with the throttle still wide open. same rotating mass, same (or close enough to) rpm... same clutch dump. if my calcs are correct, the bike will jerk forwards far less aggressively, as the engine is no longer producing power, so its only the energy of the rotating mass that will contribute to any movement.

This is in fact what many (most?) trials maneuvers require - rev up, then snap the throttle closed as you drop the clutch. It actually creates more "leap" than holding the throttle open.
Holding the throttle open as/after you drop the clutch is also a recipe for disaster, as you loop out at speed or half way up a vertical climb!
There's a lot going on, in that fraction of a second between popping the clutch and the bike leaving the ground.

One aspect is the reaction of the suspension - current designs all squat under power to some extent, so if you don't cut the power just as the bike starts to leap you will get very little lift from the stored energy in the rear spring. The bike will feel glued to the ground compared to when the throttle is cut. The only way I can imagine to achieve this timing is with a flywheel. A FW gives a very short impulse of power, then as the wheel spins up to speed the chain tension drops dramatically, allowing the suspension to extend. Hard to coordinate that level of timing with a twist grip throttle, but automatic with a flywheel!

Another aspect was alluded to in this thread, that of cutting power instantly. Again, very hard if not impossible with a twist grip (advanced trials riders use one finger on the clutch, right up close to the lever pivot in order to get fastest response). And the key in many instances is to cut power - not brake, not roll off power, just go into freewheel mode really quickly.

Associated with the clutch is the flywheel - trials bikes have big, heavy flywheels - far, far heavier than similar capacity enduro or MX bikes. The flywheel provides a couple of key characteristics:
  • it smooths out power delivery, both the pulses of an ICE, and the vagaries of the rider's throttle hand. This maximises traction.
  • It stores energy, not just for popping the clutch, but for rolling the bike up steep or slippery obstacles. If you rely on the flywheel to carry the bike up, the risk of wheelspin is far reduced - if the wheel does slip it will not accelerate, only continue gradually slowing down, potentially regaining traction. In contrast any amount of throttle on when the wheel slips and and the spin will increase and the bike will completely lose traction.

A misconception that I see and hear frequently is that, "I've got so much torque I power wheelie at will, so how can I possibly use any more that a flywheel might provide?"
The error in this thinking is not considering the time factor. Any decent ICE trials bike can flip you onto your a***e with just a twist of the throttle, and yet even fairly ordinary riders like myself regularly spin the engine up and dump the clutch. The key is that the big impulse only lasts for a moment, enough to shoot the bike forward and stand it up vertical, but no longer. Good trials riders are often in the air, bike vertical or beyond, and with the bars against their chest - when the (unpowered) back wheel hits something, it stops and the bike rotates back to a more sensible attitude. This rotation around the back axle is what presses the back tyre onto the obstacle with enough force that the bike can climb vertical walls, mostly relying on the flywheel to carry them up.

Having a handful of throttle on when the wheel hits the face risks a loop-out or the rear wheel bouncing or spinning.

With a big, heavy flywheel it becomes imperative that you have some way to cut the power instantly (eg at the top of a high wheelie, or vertical climb), rolling off throttle is not going to cut power to the rear wheel fast enough.

Simulating a mechanical clutch and flywheel electronically might be achievable, but it's not just a matter of turning power on and off. For instance how do you simulate the instant power on/off when wanted, and also simulate the effect of flywheel inertia carrying the bike up a vertical face without any wheel acceleration if it loses traction for a moment?
Not impossible perhaps, but a very specific setup indeed.

Finally, going back to the "rev, cut the throttle and simultaneously dump the clutch" move, it's really, really hard to be jumping up and forward as hard as you can (required to get the bike airborne and travelling from a standstill) and at the same time be twisting the throttle down. Yet with a clutch it's beautifully synchronised that as you squat to prepare for the jump you twist the throttle open, then when you jump up, forward and dump the clutch, your hand is naturally rolling the throttle off.

It is perhaps worth noting that the Electric Motion trials bike linked to earlier in this thread has this year integrated a mechanical clutch into it's drive train. In it's previous "electronic clutch" form it simply wasn't up to the abilities of the other serious electric trials bikes on the Trial GP circuit, all clutched.
Watching the old model up against the clutched electric bikes it was obvious that it just couldn't develop the same "pop" as the clutched electrics, or the ICE bikes either for that matter. Every review of the new version comes away glowing with how much better the bike is with a clutch.

As I say, I'm no champion trials rider, but this is the best I've been able to come up with based on what I can do, from watching a lot of video and thinking long and hard about it.
I believe a trials bike without a clutch simply isn't capable of some of the fundamental contemporary trials moves. Perhaps in years to come both the electronics and the riders will progress to the point that clutches are not needed, but it's a fair way off yet I think. It's much more about subtlety, timing and control than just power. As with 99% of trials riding.

Which perhaps explains why I'm currently grappling with grafting a Kawasaki wet clutch onto my LMX motor.

bikerpete said:
Severe necro-posting I know, please excuse me. It's just this is exactly what I'm grappling with currently.

I'm not a particularly good trials rider, but I can make a rough imitation of most of the key trials maneuvers - Double-blips, zaps, splatters etc.
I think the excerpt below has a fair bit of relevance to the discussion:

sn0wchyld said:
another test i thought of - rev an engine up to 10krpm, release the throttle and before the rpms drop too much, dump the clutch (with no throttle). i bet it doesn't leap away anything like it does with the throttle still wide open. same rotating mass, same (or close enough to) rpm... same clutch dump. if my calcs are correct, the bike will jerk forwards far less aggressively, as the engine is no longer producing power, so its only the energy of the rotating mass that will contribute to any movement.

This is in fact what many (most?) trials maneuvers require - rev up, then snap the throttle closed as you drop the clutch. It actually creates more "leap" than holding the throttle open.
Holding the throttle open as/after you drop the clutch is also a recipe for disaster, as you loop out at speed or half way up a vertical climb!
There's a lot going on, in that fraction of a second between popping the clutch and the bike leaving the ground.

One aspect is the reaction of the suspension - current designs all squat under power to some extent, so if you don't cut the power just as the bike starts to leap you will get very little lift from the stored energy in the rear spring. The bike will feel glued to the ground compared to when the throttle is cut. The only way I can imagine to achieve this timing is with a flywheel. A FW gives a very short impulse of power, then as the wheel spins up to speed the chain tension drops dramatically, allowing the suspension to extend. Hard to coordinate that level of timing with a twist grip throttle, but automatic with a flywheel!

Another aspect was alluded to in this thread, that of cutting power instantly. Again, very hard if not impossible with a twist grip (advanced trials riders use one finger on the clutch, right up close to the lever pivot in order to get fastest response). And the key in many instances is to cut power - not brake, not roll off power, just go into freewheel mode really quickly.

Associated with the clutch is the flywheel - trials bikes have big, heavy flywheels - far, far heavier than similar capacity enduro or MX bikes. The flywheel provides a couple of key characteristics:
  • it smooths out power delivery, both the pulses of an ICE, and the vagaries of the rider's throttle hand. This maximises traction.
  • It stores energy, not just for popping the clutch, but for rolling the bike up steep or slippery obstacles. If you rely on the flywheel to carry the bike up, the risk of wheelspin is far reduced - if the wheel does slip it will not accelerate, only continue gradually slowing down, potentially regaining traction. In contrast any amount of throttle on when the wheel slips and and the spin will increase and the bike will completely lose traction.

A misconception that I see and hear frequently is that, "I've got so much torque I power wheelie at will, so how can I possibly use any more that a flywheel might provide?"
The error in this thinking is not considering the time factor. Any decent ICE trials bike can flip you onto your a***e with just a twist of the throttle, and yet even fairly ordinary riders like myself regularly spin the engine up and dump the clutch. The key is that the big impulse only lasts for a moment, enough to shoot the bike forward and stand it up vertical, but no longer. Good trials riders are often in the air, bike vertical or beyond, and with the bars against their chest - when the (unpowered) back wheel hits something, it stops and the bike rotates back to a more sensible attitude. This rotation around the back axle is what presses the back tyre onto the obstacle with enough force that the bike can climb vertical walls, mostly relying on the flywheel to carry them up.

Having a handful of throttle on when the wheel hits the face risks a loop-out or the rear wheel bouncing or spinning.

With a big, heavy flywheel it becomes imperative that you have some way to cut the power instantly (eg at the top of a high wheelie, or vertical climb), rolling off throttle is not going to cut power to the rear wheel fast enough.

Simulating a mechanical clutch and flywheel electronically might be achievable, but it's not just a matter of turning power on and off. For instance how do you simulate the instant power on/off when wanted, and also simulate the effect of flywheel inertia carrying the bike up a vertical face without any wheel acceleration if it loses traction for a moment?

Finally, going back to the "rev, cut the throttle and simultaneously dump the clutch" move, it's really, really hard to be jumping up and forward as hard as you can (required to get the bike airborne and travelling from a standstill) and at the same time be twisting the throttle down. Yet with a clutch it's beautifully synchronised that as you squat to prepare for the jump you twist the throttle open, then when you jump up, forward and dump the clutch, your hand is naturally rolling the throttle off.

It is perhaps worth noting that the Electric Motion trials bike linked to earlier in this thread has this year integrated a mechanical clutch into it's drive train. In it's previous "electronic clutch" form it simply wasn't up to the abilities of the other serious electric trials bikes on the Trial GP circuit, all clutched.
Watching the old model up against the clutched electric bikes it was obvious that it just couldn't develop the same "pop" as the clutched electrics, or the ICE bikes either for that matter. Every review of the new version comes away glowing with how much better the bike is with a clutch.

As I say, I'm no champion trials rider, but this is the best I've been able to come up with based on what I can do, from watching a lot of video and thinking long and hard about it.
I believe a trials bike without a clutch simply isn't capable of some of the fundamental contemporary trials moves. Perhaps in years to come both the electronics and the riders will progress to the point that clutches are not needed, but it's a fair way off yet I think. It's much more about subtlety, timing and control than just power. As with 99% of trials riding.

Which perhaps explains why I'm currently grappling with grafting a Kawasaki wet clutch onto my LMX motor.

agreed, great post - i didn't know for instance that flywheels were much heavier in trials bikes... IIRC later in this thread I posited that it was also a matter of beign able to 'roll on' to the throttle quickly enough, ie a released clutch leaver is faster than a twisted throttle... however it sounds that that's not all there is to it either. I suspect a sufficiently torquy motor coupled with a sufficiently high output controller may still be able to equal a clutch dump with freehweel, however it may end up weighing more than a freewheel and clutch too, particularly if they're now being intergrated into trials bikes over electronic clutches.

one thing I've found however using the 'electronic' clutch on my surron is that the lack of feedback of exact throttle position all but runis the benefit of the clutch, as its difficult to know exactly how much umph im going to get without the sound of a revving motor/engine. Do you know if the electronic clutch implemented in your example provided any sort of feedback beyond throttle position as to the impulse that would be generated when the e-clutch was dumped?

the other thing ive discovered since my contributions to this thread is that the freewheel also aids in balance - by being a ... you guessed it... a freewheel! hah. That is something that no amount of phase amps and 'simulated' clutch will replicate however. it'd be quite interesting to see a freewheel separated from the driveline too, and if that would provide some benefit?

Glad I was able to help shed some light on this. E&OE.

Re. the freewheel - there's no freewheel in a trials bike. I'm talking pure moto, not a hybrid moto/pedal. Of course if someone wanted to have a pedalec trials it's entirely possible.

bikerpete said:

Re. the freewheel - there's no freewheel in a trials bike. I'm talking pure moto, not a hybrid moto/pedal. Of course if someone wanted to have a pedalec trials it's entirely possible.

sorry i was talking pure moto - please disregard any reference or errors in nomenclature.

bikerpete said:

Pretty sure he means flywheel, not freewheel.

Slozukimc said:

Ah, of course. That makes more sense.

sn0wchyld said:
agreed, great post - i didn't know for instance that flywheels were much heavier in trials bikes... IIRC later in this thread I posited that it was also a matter of beign able to 'roll on' to the throttle quickly enough, ie a released clutch leaver is faster than a twisted throttle... however it sounds that that's not all there is to it either. I suspect a sufficiently torquy motor coupled with a sufficiently high output controller may still be able to equal a clutch dump with freehweel, however it may end up weighing more than a freewheel and clutch too, particularly if they're now being intergrated into trials bikes over electronic clutches.

one thing I've found however using the 'electronic' clutch on my surron is that the lack of feedback of exact throttle position all but runis the benefit of the clutch, as its difficult to know exactly how much umph im going to get without the sound of a revving motor/engine. Do you know if the electronic clutch implemented in your example provided any sort of feedback beyond throttle position as to the impulse that would be generated when the e-clutch was dumped?

the other thing ive discovered since my contributions to this thread is that the freewheel also aids in balance - by being a ... you guessed it... a freewheel! hah. That is something that no amount of phase amps and 'simulated' clutch will replicate however. it'd be quite interesting to see a freewheel separated from the driveline too, and if that would provide some benefit?

I agree that a motor/controller can probably match a motor/flywheel for instant power, and quite possibly be lighter, it's just all the other factors make it somewhat irrelevant.

What you said about the throttle feedback with an electronic clutch is something I've wondered about. Certainly on an ICE bike you often tend to snap the throttle open, let the engine wind up (trials bikes are very slow to get that big flywheel spinning) and drop the clutch when it sounds right (or when you start getting scared you're about to unleash a rocket).
The EM trials bike with e-clutch didn't have any feedback beyond throttle position.

Maybe on an e-clutch you just have to learn to position the throttle more accurately? Or perhaps include a tps linked to a signal generator which creates the sound of a revving 2-stroke :lol: Could even include a smoke generator for more realism. :roll:

The balance-aid effect of the flywheel is certainly an advantage in trials. Some people deliberately practice balancing stationary on the bike engine-off to improve their balance. Or conversely beginners are commonly advised to practice balancing with clutch in and revs up to make it easier.

In the build I'm working on currently I'm struggling with how much flywheel to put in the system. Too little and I'm sure it will be hard to ride effectively, too much and it just adds weight and slows down throttle response needlessly.
The new Electric Motion ePure Race has, "The engine flywheel coupled with a set of different balancing weights allows several inertia settings.". So it seems they have an adjustable flywheel mass. I might need to go down that path too.

trazor said:
@bikerpete Thanks for your insight, finally I understood the clutch importance on trial bikes. If you try to hook a clutch to your LMX motor, please make a thread and link it here. I will subscribe instantly.

I've got two threads on the go:
The initial design thread which started when I was considering a full size E moto-trials, but later morphed into a Fat-Bike based machine Observed trials bike designing
The build thread for a Fat-e Trials Bike

bikerpete said:
Slozukimc said:

Ah, of course. That makes more sense.

sn0wchyld said:

I agree that a motor/controller can probably match a motor/flywheel for instant power, and quite possibly be lighter, it's just all the other factors make it somewhat irrelevant.

What you said about the throttle feedback with an electronic clutch is something I've wondered about. Certainly on an ICE bike you often tend to snap the throttle open, let the engine wind up (trials bikes are very slow to get that big flywheel spinning) and drop the clutch when it sounds right (or when you start getting scared you're about to unleash a rocket).
The EM trials bike with e-clutch didn't have any feedback beyond throttle position.

Maybe on an e-clutch you just have to learn to position the throttle more accurately? Or perhaps include a tps linked to a signal generator which creates the sound of a revving 2-stroke :lol: Could even include a smoke generator for more realism. :roll:

The balance-aid effect of the flywheel is certainly an advantage in trials. Some people deliberately practice balancing stationary on the bike engine-off to improve their balance. Or conversely beginners are commonly advised to practice balancing with clutch in and revs up to make it easier.

In the build I'm working on currently I'm struggling with how much flywheel to put in the system. Too little and I'm sure it will be hard to ride effectively, too much and it just adds weight and slows down throttle response needlessly.
The new Electric Motion ePure Race has, "The engine flywheel coupled with a set of different balancing weights allows several inertia settings.". So it seems they have an adjustable flywheel mass. I might need to go down that path too.

yea I was thinking some kind of audio feedback, for my surron the throttle was not very linear so small throttle position changes made huge differences in output when the clutch was 'dropped', so very difficult based on throttle position alone. That and im more used to thumb throttles, so twist still feels weird to me even when riding normally - ive actually had a few crashes due purely to whisky throttle haha - planning on switching to a thumb before I really hurt myself.

shouldn't be too hard (imho) to have a flywheel that can have progressively heavier/larger dia disks bolted to it, to tune to your preference? also energy stored grows at the square of rpm, so your better off with a higher rpm light flywheel than a lower rpm heavy one - ie go for a high rpm motor if possible and save weight that way?

bikerpete said:

Forgot all about this thread and never did do anything about it or even think about the clutch for e-bikes. You just made this thread relevant again. Thanks for sharing valuable inputs.

I was looking around for some other trials stuff and revisited this video. Hopefully the link takes you to 1:22. If you step through it (pause then the > key) you can easily see the throttle going on as he drops down then just starts to rise. Then as he jumps you can see it's snapped right off. As the wheel just starts to lose contact with the ground you can see the chain go quite loose.
https://youtu.be/pYuUMoCAY7A?t=82

Seems E-motion has a full on clutch on their newest electric 2020 trails bike. When we are back to more normal times I will snag a test ride and see how it feels. Maybe clutch got it's place for some EV's, sure will let you get that burst of power to jump walls or whatever. Next thing you know they might even add interchange able fly wheels to the motor to mimic the ice trials bike in best possible way.

How would it be to ride a Zero with a clutch? Surely front wheel would pop up whenever need be much faster and likely more controlled. Or the LiveWire or Italian energica evo?

Btw, seems kawasaki is making an electric sports bike with a 4 speed transmission and a clutch. I wonder if that was decided wearing old goggles looking back in time or if their testing actually have shown significant improvements to add a 4 speed gearbox? Early stages still so we will know when the bike is in show rooms I guess.

macribs said:
Seems E-motion has a full on clutch on their newest electric 2020 trails bike. When we are back to more normal times I will snag a test ride and see how it feels. Maybe clutch got it's place for some EV's, sure will let you get that burst of power to jump walls or whatever. Next thing you know they might even add interchange able fly wheels to the motor to mimic the ice trials bike in best possible way.

How would it be to ride a Zero with a clutch? Surely front wheel would pop up whenever need be much faster and likely more controlled. Or the LiveWire or Italian energica evo?

Btw, seems kawasaki is making an electric sports bike with a 4 speed transmission and a clutch. I wonder if that was decided wearing old goggles looking back in time or if their testing actually have shown significant improvements to add a 4 speed gearbox? Early stages still so we will know when the bike is in show rooms I guess.

Yes, the E-Pure Race has a "real" clutch. From what I see I think the two lower models have some sort of electro-mechanical clutch but it seems it's in no way equivalent to the Race's clutch.
The E-Pure also has adjustment weights for the flywheel I believe.

As for wheelie pop, yes a clutch will help - if you've got some reasonable amount of flywheel effect. Insufficient flywheel and it doesn't really add much. I know that from mucking around on little 80cc trials bikes - rev them to the moon and drop the clutch and .... not a lot happens really. Adding flywheel mass slows down acceleration though, so it's all a trade-off.

Mecatechno and GasGas run multi speed gearboxes - my thinking is that particularly with a clutch, having different gears alters the response from the flywheel. Low gears give a very abrupt, short lived impulse, higher gears smooth it out more and give a higher end velocity. Again, I think it's probably got a fair bit to do with setting up the mechanism to provide different output characteristics from a limited range of rider inputs. ie with very similar rider clutch release a low gear gives one response, a high gear another.
When it comes to sports bikes, I've no idea.

On my build I've got no clue how to calculate the correct weight flywheel, so I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark according to what looks reasonable and what I can fit. Once I ride it I'll no doubt discover the error of my ways!

Seems Yamaha is also putting out an electric trials bike, the TY-E. Also the electric one from Yamaha has a clutch.
Hm. Maybe I should just get the E-motion 2020 trials bike and start practicing and learning the game of trials?

macribs said:
Seems Yamaha is also putting out an electric trials bike, the TY-E. Also the electric one from Yamaha has a clutch.
Hm. Maybe I should just get the E-motion 2020 trials bike and start practicing and learning the game of trials?

Of course you should!
Apparently yamaha has a program where employees can spend some percentage of their work on self driven R&D projects, I think they see it as a way to get new ideas and research done without a lot of overhead. The TY-E is an output from that apparently. So it's not quite an official program, or wasn't - obviously they must hope to commercialise some of these projects, maybe that'll be one of them. It's been around a few years now as a prototype competing in e-GP.

Back