• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Cycle Analyst Charge Percentage

mgizen

1 µW
I have a lifepo4 battery 48v and from what I have been reading is that not fully charging battery to full capacity will increase amount of cycles. I found a link from a company sell the cycle analyst stating that the analyst can be set to automatically charge battery to 80 percent when fully battery is not needed. I don't understand
how this could be possible? here is the link to page.
http://lunacycle.com/blog/ebike-battery-life-expectancy/

You can use a stand alone CA to measure how many wh you put in while charging.

For a lifepo4 battery, if you want to undercharge for storage, just aim for about 3.3v to 3.4v per cell. 3.5v is full. If your charger puts out 54.6v, then that would be a 15s pack. So you could stop at about 50v to 52v for storage purposes.

If you have a bms, then you must either unplug it for long term storage, or keep the battery full by putting it on the charger to re balance every month or so.

In daily or weekly use, you can just use charge time to put some juice into the battery without letting it get totally full. What I mean is, say you do a routine ride, and notice that it takes 3 hours to charge after the ride. Simply charge 2 hours, then unplug. Then the day you will ride again, plug back in and finish the charge in about 1 hour.

mgizen said:
I have a lifepo4 battery 48v and from what I have been reading is that not fully charging battery to full capacity will increase amount of cycles.

This is true for most flavors of lithium battery which normally charge up to 4.2V/cell, but it is not the case with LiFePO4 and we try to mention this every time we discuss partial charging (eg http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/charge-simulator.html#benefits-of-partial-charge ). So if you indeed have an iron phosphate pack, then simply charge it 100% to the full 3.5-3.6 V/cell. Because of the nature of iron phosphates very flat Voltage vs SOC curve, you can't reliably charge it to a partial charge point anyways, even if there was some benefit in doing so.

Thanks for the dope slap.

Lifepo4 is very different. I have gotten at least a year more use from lifepo4, vs lico, AKA hobby rc packs. And that is despite charging lifepo4 fully and storing it full. But I had gotten the idea that even lifepo4 could benefit from storing overnight less than full, then charging fully to balance it in the AM before your ride.

Back