4 wire throttle

shinyballs

1 kW
Figuring out the wiring of this throttle. Wire colors are blue,green,yellow and red. Red is most likely 5v or battery(+).

1 wire will be power, 1 will be ground, 1 will be throttle output, 1 will be switch output.

As for which is which, I couldn't say. You'd have to use a DMM to figure it out.

Actually, since that also has a battery level meter, the switch almost certainly has no separate wires, and probably just cuts either the signal wire from the throttle, or the 5v to the throttle.

So there will be three throttle wires and then a battery-voltage-input wire (which uses the throttle ground as reference).

You'd have to either test it on your throttle connector on your controller, guessing at the wires, or you'd ahve to open it up to trace which wire goes where, to find out for certain.

I've had all sorts of wire color combinations on throttles, where any color could be any function, so there is no certainty on them.

But the most common is 5v red, ground black, and one of the other colors throttle signal output.

If you hook up 5v and ground to two wires, then with the switch pressed to click it "on" measure each of the other two wires while turning the throttle, you'll find oen of them varies in voltage, and that's the throttle signal out.

The other will then be the battery meter input.

My guess in this case would be green is ground. So try that. Blue might be the pack voltage. That is often purple. I'd also guess the switch interrupts the pack voltage, on the way to the controllers second red wire. So switch position may not affect use as a three wire. ( why would you want that shitty meter hooked up)

Test with no more than 5v to the throttle. ( 4v fine, like one lithium cell) find the one that is signal back, that varies from 0 to 5v when you turn the throttle.

Then the last one is the pack voltage wire.

dogman dan said:
I'd also guess the switch interrupts the pack voltage, on the way to the controllers second red wire.
Unless the throttle is a two-wire potentiometer, and not a three-wire hall, there is no output wire for the switch, so it can only interrupt something on the unit itself; can't be used to disconnect power from the controller. It would require using two battery-voltage-level wires to do that.

AFAICR, all of the throttles on Cvin's bikes, which include at least three new kinds of fatbike from Chinese companies at the last vegas tradeshow, both the Rad bikes, and the CeMoto, all use the switch to interrupt the throttle, nothing else. (so that the bikes that have PAS can still be used as PAS but the throttle can't accidentally cause the bike to move when not riding it).

Got the wires sorted. Didn't bother opening it(not easy without cracking the plastic clips). I'm not connecting the crappy meter.

Red = 5v
Blue = Gnd
Green = throttle signal output
Yellow = battery pack voltage

The most common 4 wire throttles
(If either of the below have 6 wires the other 2 are an on/off switch)

Type 1
red=5v power
black=ground
white= output varies with throttle
green=battery level indicator

Type 2
red=5v power
blue=ground
green= output varies with throttle
yellow=battery level indicator

The most common 3 wire throttle
Type 1
red=5v power
white=output varies with throttle
black=ground

You can intermix throttles of the same voltage so long as the power, ground and output all go to the correct place.

Back