Fat Tire Chopper 1000w 48V

great to see you on ES Graucho, if this turns out anything like your previous builds it will be a mobile work of art!

KiM

Front fork's are built. 38" long 46 degree,1[1/4 diamiter, 11 gauge thick. Then I took her off of the bench for the first time and rolled her across the garage. It rolls like a dream and the single sided rear axle frame has great ballance. I wasn't sure... I had a slight worry wondering if she would tend to drift to the left rear frame's side. (only having frame on one side) But nope, once my bodyweight was placed it was balanced.
Everything was taken into consideration to make this work. Total length, height, rake, seat position, frame supports, tire size, tubing thickness, tubing diameter.

The front fork's rake and dropout angle and height are absolutely perfect! Hand fabricated front dropout's from old country steel drawer knobs. = Zero steering flop! Yea!!

front_drop1.jpg

front_drop2.jpg

front_drop3.jpg

All I can say Wow !! Stellar work and imagination. Surprised you have the door on the shop open .. 5 degrees here..
I would like to know the method used on the "south of the border " mural . If you don't mind.
Yes I was creeping on your photobucket. :oops:

Again nice craftwork.. Welcome to ES.

torker said:
All I can say Wow !! Stellar work and imagination. Surprised you have the door on the shop open .. 5 degrees here..
I would like to know the method used on the "south of the border " mural . If you don't mind.

Again nice craftwork.. Welcome to ES.

Thanks "yorker" In my intro thread I mentioned I have this bike 95% finished. I am adding small bits to the thread as I get time. The garage door was open when it was still 37 deg here in Minnesota. The "south of the border " mural (which will be in view in a few days) is graphics adhered behind clear lexan.

A little further on the lower fork section. Another horse head (giving the illusion of running together) and a lower tube to thicken up the front end. Next I will be designing my handlebars. I'm sure it will take a few tries since I had 3 different patterns in my head. Depended on which one made me smile when I looked at it... will win it's place on the bike.

frontfork3.jpg

frontfork1.jpg

frontfork2.jpg

snellemin said:
That is one nice bike! The fork is just amazing.

Thank you "snellemin"!

Finished my handlebars. Took the dimensions of the schwinn OCC bars and bent a new pair 25% bigger. Scaled for an adult.
Hand grips will be at 30 inches horizontal. Need to make a little nurling where the clamps are.
I ground the welds smooth, now ready for putty and primer.

bars1.jpg

bars2.jpg

I found a suitable seat for the final theme for the bike.

seat_cover.jpg

Its been a while since I've made a set pan. I picked up a leather
stool seat that I want to convert into a bicycle seat. The bike will have a western south of
the border theme. This one took a little thinking since it's not your standard seat pan.
Nothing that a few measurements and a little engineering couldn't solve. We all like pics,
heres' a few.

Took a few measurements and cut up some steel. Cut a few grooves and
bent the correct angles to form to the seat.
seat01a.jpg

seat01b.jpg

seat01c.jpg

seat01d.jpg

Laying down the initial tack's
seat01e.jpg

seat01f.jpg

seat01g.jpg

Positioning and location check on the bicycle.
seat01h.jpg

seat01i.jpg

Wow, very impressive work! Do you do your own casting, or did you purchase those horse heads? You're only going for 1000 watts on this bike? That's like putting a 50cc scooter motor on one of your street choppers...

etard said:
Wow, very impressive work! Do you do your own casting, or did you purchase those horse heads? You're only going for 1000 watts on this bike? That's like putting a 50cc scooter motor on one of your street choppers...

Thanks "etard"
The horse heads are actually old kitchen drawer knobs I found while doing a old house demo I helped with while visiting in Arizona.
The 1000 watts question is the reason I'm here. It's to late on this bike, hopefully on my next build I will have educated
myself enough reading here to build a bike capable of 50mph+. Hanging out with the best elec guys around is the fastest way to get there.
This bike is a neighborhood cruiser with an average speed of 20mph.

I took it off of the bench for a roll. OMG! This baby is straight and true. Zero steering flop and perfectly balanced. (35 sec video link below) Tons to do still. Need to finish the drive system, fill in some welds, brakes etc-etc.

Short video linkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lctcd0rkW8g

side_profile2-1.jpg

side_profile3.jpg

]I found a pair if leather handgrips to go with the seat.
I modified them so I can jab people as they walk past.
I took off a 1000watt 48v front hub motor from a donor bike I purchased for $80.00
I'm here to learn about better setups, so this is motor is what I had to keep the build moving.

handgrips.jpg

Then I added the battery shelf. The batteries and controller will be
enclosed in a compartment beneath the rider. (Sitting on a bomb?)
I cant afford lithium ion batteries so I have to go with the heavier SLA's.
As i'm getting educated i'm finding suppliers and links to build my own.

batterybox.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Since you are starting/building with lead you will have lots of room for lithium later :) Are you going to throw a front hub motor on it? If so then the jackshaft is for pedal power chain?

torker said:
Since you are starting/building with lead you will have lots of room for lithium later :) Are you going to throw a front hub motor on it? If so then the jackshaft is for pedal power chain?[/quote

Thanks "torker" yes the jackshaft is strictly for pedal power. As far as the lead batt's go, It will also be nice to get rid of the extra weight also. All in due time.

Here is my rear fender. (Or lack of) The theme for this bike is
"South Of The Border" A southwestern motif design.

I promise when this bike is done that people will
think... what the heck was that dude thinking anyways?
He's lost it. Ha! That's the way I roll I guess.

tire2-1.jpg

tire1-1.jpg

tire3-1.jpg

Amazing, nothing else to say. I wish i had your talent!

I read it pretty quickly, but it looks like you wanted more speed than 48v/1000w, right? You can still got for a 72v kit, if you reduced the Ah, keeping the Wh the same, the battery size will about the same size as 48v with same Wh. Also, theres a plenty of 72v 1500w controllers with about same size. Can't wait to see that bike eletrified.

mateusleo said:
Amazing, nothing else to say. I wish i had your talent!

I read it pretty quickly, but it looks like you wanted more speed than 48v/1000w, right? You can still got for a 72v kit, if you reduced the Ah, keeping the Wh the same, the battery size will about the same size as 48v with same Wh. Also, theres a plenty of 72v 1500w controllers with about same size. Can't wait to see that bike eletrified.

Thanks mateusleo. I wish I had everyones mad elec skills, then i'd be complete. 8)

I had to show/document a few photos of how scary my bikes look before I apply the paint.
This stage is called the "scratch coating. Where the primer color is where the raw steel had imperfections.
I know... crazy hugh? That many steel flaws? I should be ready for primer soon.
Now comes some of my favorite parts. Watching the vision "finally" become a reality.

3.jpg

1.jpg

graucho said:
Thanks mateusleo. I wish I had everyones mad elec skills, then i'd be complete. 8)

I had to show/document a few photos of how scary my bikes look before I apply the paint.
This stage is called the "scratch coating. Where the primer color is where the raw steel had imperfections.
I know... crazy hugh? That many steel flaws? I should be ready for primer soon.
Now comes some of my favorite parts. Watching the vision "finally" become a reality.

Well, you said you want to reach 20 mph, wich is about 32 km/h. With my 48v 1000w bike i get 50-55 km/h without problems, so i belive u'll get higher than 20 mph. If you get to buy lithium batteries in the future, you can change the motor or even run 72v in a 48v motor if you keep the same amperage to get higher speed, idon't have any experience with overvolting a motor, but you can find this information in the forum. I recommend LiFePO4 if you plan to buy new batteries, because in comparison to li-ion, they'r easier to deal with, safer and cheaper. The disavantages are they are a little bit heavier for the same capacity and handle a lower discharge amperage, but thats not a problem if you are running "low power" such as 1000w or 1500w. I own a 48v 20ah lifepo4 pack that cost $370 + $100 shipping to Brazil a year ago. Good luck with ur project and keep sending us the pictures, they'r awesome!

Thank you very much for the info mateusleo! I will definitely be studying up on your ideas.

Primed and ready for paint. There is no fillers in this bike. All welds are ground filled,
ground filled-sanded to get them this smooth. It takes a long time but it's become more of a art
project for my enjoyment. Now it's time to get the fork ready.

fr12.jpg

fr4.jpg

fr11.jpg

fr10.jpg

fr3.jpg

fr1.jpg

fr7.jpg

Ok... the handlebars are totally ready for paint. The main frame is also totally ready for paint.
The fork has had its final welding finished. (Strong straight and true) It was acid bathed, now ready for
primer and lots of sanding.

bars1-1.jpg

bars4.jpg

fork1a.jpg

IMG

Can't wait to see itfinished. Think in the idea to increase its power in the future, this fat tire will give you stability to any speed you want XD

mateusleo said:
Can't wait to see itfinished. Think in the idea to increase its power in the future, this fat tire will give you stability to any speed you want XD

So true mateusleo… I could mount a motorcycle engine in this baby and take it down the freeway. :D

This full bike is ready for paint.
I'll will be working on ventilation to airbrush indoors since the weather is cold and snowy.
All of the puzzle pieces are present and ready to move forward. The front wheel 48v1000w is also all set to enclose in the front wheel covers.
I have a few color schemes rolling around my head. At least i'm at one of my favorite stages.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

Back