From BBS01 to a Qulbix Raptor 140

ziltoid81

1 kW
Hello,

Quite a Year ago i did my first Ebike build.
I converted a Cannondale Prophet with a bbs01 18A-36V.
1626629-qmnlwz7zvq0m-original.jpg

Im still quite happy with it, but the wish for the raptor was there, since i saw it the first time.
Now Qulbix did the special offer with 27% discount and so they got me.... 8)

I opened this thread for 2 reasons, first to share the build process to others which are interested and to avoid getting the wrong setup, parts and so on.

I ordered the framekit with the 165mm swingarm to have all options.

More pictures when the framekit arrives......

I have to measure if its possible to stick with the A123 20Ah pouch cells.
I would like to use a batterypack that will last at least for 5 to 10 years, so Lipo is not an Option.
Also the discharge curve of LiMn, like the konion, is not an option, therefore i hope i can stick with the a123 pouches.

I really dont know where i will go exactly.....there are so many options.

The main importance would be efficiency, i dont need to go faster than 65kmh.
Therefor i plan to stick with an Adaptto mini-e.
I really want to go with the 4t cro, cause i think that copperfill and the wide stator will benefit my consumption.
On the other way a lighter MXUS 5 or 6t, can be fed with more voltage.
On a cro i would go for max. 20s LiFePo4 to reach my ~65 @24 inch bicycle wheel.

A TC65 would also be an option.

Bad news from the battery battlefield, the 20A A123 pouches will not fit.
The 14A will do the job perfect, 2 packs 20s (20s2p) will fit barely side by side but............they are not available, or i am unable to find a seller. :|
So back to start with the battery. :(

1762019-xa5asfrwlicv-raptor1-original.jpg

1762021-oczslta7kghd-raptor2-original.jpg

The fork isnt the one i will use, just for the pics.....

Thanks rod.

The DNM USD8 is on its way from down under.

Meanwhile im getting more an more confused where i wanna go with the whole motor setup.

Im really pleased with my BBS01 at daily commuting, ive done 5000km and it just works......also in a very efficient way.
Without pedaling, at 30kmh average, i hardly reach 16wh/km.
Normally im around 5-8wh/km.

So i see 3 options.

Get a converted BBS02 for 100mm fatbikes, for 1299$ plus 19% plus shipping.......so spent round 1600-1700$ and still "only" got a 48V/25A BBS.
Get a normal BBS02 and mill down the BB of the raptor from 83 to 68mm, including praying that everything else will fit.

For this builds i would use light weight and cheap konion V3, cause the cells dosent need to deliver masses of current.
I also would stick with light bicycle rims and tires.
This build would also be earlier finished, cause i dont spent all my money on this.
I sell stuff that i dont need anymore and pump this money in the raptor, its more something to tinker on, not to get i finished a.s.a.p.

With one of these options i will get an efficient, relatively light raptor, which will have a huge range.
Its also the cheapest setup, so will be finished earlier.

Or get a cro, a max e, motowheels and make this a mean raptor......but then i would go with way more expensive and heavier 240cells of A123 ANR26650 20s12p to feed the hunger of this setup.
Lipo is not an option and the A123 will take the abuse for many cycles.

This would be a heavy, inefficient, short ranged.......but FUN build.

I really loved the new found range with my first ebike, exploring new areas, dont worry if i would get home in time or too exhausted.
An efficient raptor with a big battery (now its in my backpack) would double my range.
But i also love the acceleration and speed..........
What i really hate was accelerating and dont shifting correctly........ with a hubby this will be a closed chapter.
What i really love was shifting when you have to got through steep areas....... :lol:

Maybe i wait for a little fairy to tell me what to do. :)

ziltoid81 said:
Thanks rod.

The DNM USD8 is on its way from down under.

Meanwhile im getting more an more confused where i wanna go with the whole motor setup.

Im really pleased with my BBS01 at daily commuting, ive done 5000km and it just works......also in a very efficient way.
Without pedaling, at 30kmh average, i hardly reach 16wh/km.
Normally im around 5-8wh/km.

So i see 3 options.

Get a converted BBS02 for 100mm fatbikes, for 1299$ plus 19% plus shipping.......so spent round 1600-1700$ and still "only" got a 48V/25A BBS.
Get a normal BBS02 and mill down the BB of the raptor from 83 to 68mm, including praying that everything else will fit.

For this builds i would use light weight and cheap konion V3, cause the cells dosent need to deliver masses of current.
I also would stick with light bicycle rims and tires.
This build would also be earlier finished, cause i dont spent all my money on this.
I sell stuff that i dont need anymore and pump this money in the raptor, its more something to tinker on, not to get i finished a.s.a.p.

With one of these options i will get an efficient, relatively light raptor, which will have a huge range.
Its also the cheapest setup, so will be finished earlier.

Or get a cro, a max e, motowheels and make this a mean raptor......but then i would go with way more expensive and heavier 240cells of A123 ANR26650 20s12p to feed the hunger of this setup.
Lipo is not an option and the A123 will take the abuse for many cycles.

This would be a heavy, inefficient, short ranged.......but FUN build.

I really loved the new found range with my first ebike, exploring new areas, dont worry if i would get home in time or too exhausted.
An efficient raptor with a big battery (now its in my backpack) would double my range.
But i also love the acceleration and speed..........
What i really hate was accelerating and dont shifting correctly........ with a hubby this will be a closed chapter.
What i really love was shifting when you have to got through steep areas....... :lol:

Maybe i wait for a little fairy to tell me what to do. :)

Yes you have a few options. Yes defently the max-e with the cro. If you went a lighter motor the options would be the 4065, still its only a couple of kilos lighter though. The main advantage is you can use a 7,8 0r 9 speed freewheel with this motor unless you can get a cromotor with a longer axle. The mini-e would be a good choice with the 4065 motor or you could go with the TC65 with the Max-e, power of the cro but with the ability to pedal with a 7,8 or 9 freewheel. The other option is the mxus 3000 which I haven't used.

Making the bottom bracket 68mm wouldn't allow enough room for the pedals to clear the frame. Currently I have 6mms on one side and 7mm on the other. This is with the Zee cranks 170mm. The other option is have modified arms to clear the frame.

i also have a big home build frame.
55+kg and the mxus 3000 v1 works perfect with it now with 6000w and it accelrate's good not 1 50cc scooter of moped will keep up and with peadeling i am much faster!
i love it now.

i have a 18fet lyen en mxus 3000w v1 in a 26inch wheel with 72v of headways on board.
and it doesn't get warm on full throtle accerations only when riding up a hill that is speed enough to pull the bike to a dead stop with ridding wot. :D
ow and the top speed is 73kmh with my setup with off road mountian bike tire's.

i hope you can do something with the info.

greetings louis

Sounds good too.....i will go for a "crolike" v3 but with more copperfill. 24x5turn.

73kmh sounds great, im looking for good efficiency and torque, so i go with a 50mm stator motor and plenty of copper in a 24 inch rim, maybe a 19inch moped rim.
The adaptto can do field weakening, so i think for me 72v @ 24 inch will be ok.
The major time i will commute from 40 to 60 kmh, in 24 inch that will be the efficiency sweetspot of the motor of 80% in that range and when i will go faster for some short bursts i activate field weakening.

But now i have to wait for the motor due to the chinese hollydays.

Hey zilt

Your bike looks sweet ( I would say that cos It looks a fair bit like mine 8) ). Which chain tensioner are you using? I've not got around to sorting that yet... Also how did you manage to get the adaptto cables into the frame as stock length is real short for the rappy IMO, don't suppose you got a pic of how you've skinned it?

Oh and not sure how your chain lines up with your freewheel but on mine I fixed the chain ring to the outside of the spider and it was better... May be different with yours tho, just a thought.

:wink:

Yes i loved your black/white raptor, so i wanted the same framecolor as yours.

The chain tensioner is some random one, that used to live in my big box with bikeparts which i collected over the years.
I just took my dremel and extend the long hole, so i can use the full lenght.
It is one to clamp it under the bb.

I just took some rides, i definately need to install a chainguide on the upper side too, i lost the chain on every larger bump.

I will provide better pictures after or during the weekend, the raptor is at my parents place, but my dslr is at my home.
I just drilled the holes for the controller a little bit nearer to the hole, but you can do what you want, you wont get all cables in.
I just got the + and - in and one connector......BMS i guess.
It may look clean on the crappy pic, but the whole cablehorror is held together by plenty of cable ties.
I will provide you with better pics then, also the chainline.

Its not final so far, i just wanted to ride this sucker.

I went for a 20s 19p battery of r25 and also took a MXUS instead of a QS....maybe later.
First couple km are done and for NOW the power is ok for me......im at 60A battery and 120 phase.....accelerates very good.

I guess i dont need more, but ask me again in 500km. :D

Hi, I really like the fenders. You can barely even see them on the bike when painted black. I remember asking Merlin how he did his.

Could you send me a link to the fenders you purchased. I know that they may be in Germany but I can see the specs.

Thanks.

That's a hell of an Upgrayedd!
(from the greatest comedy turned documentary of all time)

upgrayedd2.jpg

Watch Idiocracy...great movie full of funny but true stuff.

I was just saying that new bike is AWESOME, and a big step up from the Bafang, I'm stoked for ya :)

Youre welcome.....

Maybe i should watch that movie again. :wink:

The bafang is a complete other story.
I cant decide which bike is better.
Surely the Raptor is more a motorcycle than a bike.
You can go fast, with plenty of power, accelerate without shifting, but the cannondale with the bafang is a lightweight and simple bike and you can climb slow and cool with it.
The raptor also is way more complex.
When i have a flat tire with the bafang its a story of 10mins.
With the raptor the worts case scenario. ......

I guess i like the raptor more, cause it generates more fun, but the other is good also.

The fenders , ok
but the Light ?
To be seen, ok ! but to see the road at night ?

Nice built

I really like how u frame the images and that light capturing. Also, pretty sick bike, soon i hope there will be some B123 company which will patent foldable pouches :D

Just a tip, get rid of that long derailleur and get a clutch zee derailleur. Best thing I ever have done for chains falling off, plus it is shorter. No problems with noisy chains also after I installed it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-zee-m640-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod82431?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA496zBRDoi5OY3p2xmaUBEiQArLNnK0NwcDfOBqK8tQbiJYL3l6gg3Kkncz1wyJCarbQ1rtEaAqbr8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

DO you really have a 20s19p battery? That is very large. Why did you decide on such a large battery?

I saw you used 25R cells, I would have went with at minimal 30 cells because you have so many of them, you could have gone with 35 even.

Have you weighed your bike?

Back