Qulbix Q140MD VS. LMX VS. Neematic VS.???

Very very hard to say to be honest. Depends how hard you are on the throttle! In new money that is 80km, which means you would need to keep below 27 Wh/km, or 43 Wh/mile. Not impossible at all, but fairly economic riding judging from my experience so far. I really don't know what the impact will be of riding on asfalt vs dirt though, and the motocross tires on mine are also far from ideal for eco riding.

“””which means you would need to keep below 27 Wh/km, or 43 Wh/mile. Not impossible at all, but fairly economic riding judging from my experience so far.”””

Can you explain the numbers above a bit more?

Not sure I can really, you have 2160 Wh (Watt hours) available in the biggest battery pack, and your riding style determines how many Wh you use for a given distance :) To ensure you get 50 miles out of 2160 Wh you need to keep below 2160/50 = 43.2 Wh/mile. Personally I wouldn't count on getting the full 2160 Wh worth of charge out of the battery so I do all my range calculations on 2000 Wh being available, just to give myself some margin for error.

I will post more consumption figures in the other thread once the snow goes and I can actually get out riding properly :)

Ok got it.

I guess the question is 43.2w = what speed on average would have to be maintained in an hours time to achieve that?

PS: I am new to all this so appreciate the patience and putting things into laymen terms.

That's pretty impossible to know really, depends on all the things causing drag. Tire pressures, road condition, incline, your weight, your clothing, wind resistance... you get the idea ;) I will be doing some testing on this though, as I need to find out what range I have so that I can plan my off-road rides and camping trips 8) Will post my findings in the other thread once I get out for some longer rides!

For sure. Guess if I get it I’ll find out haha. Hopefully 40 to 50 miles.

On a side note, for the both of you, does this attract attention from simply curious folks? Not in a bad way per say just out in public. I don’t really mind, but possibly see that happening. I guess do pictures do this justice or does it look pretty crazy in person?

It's a bit of a mix honestly. Mostly the bike goes unnoticed as it is silent, and size wise it is exactly the same as any other bicycle. But of course anyone interested in bikes, or if you stop close to someone, will see that this is something special :) So far I've just had positive and curious feedback. It helps that I ride this thing "like a retired grandpa" when I'm anywhere near other people ;)

Ok that makes sense. Does the presentation of the bike in person reflect the price asked in your opinion?

Yeah I reckon so :) Something like this could of course be made cheaper if it was mass produced, but there just isn't the market for it. So what you are getting is a hand built bike to your specifications, with an incredibly strong and silent motor, and a high quality battery pack. To me that is worth the cost :) Heading out tomorrow for a few hours to see how much snow has melted, can't wait, love riding this thing :D

Question on power....

What is the power like at varying levels of charge? Let's say I am at 20% battery left, do I still have the same or similar performance as 100% battery life? Since these are many single celled batteries I imagine it works like a Tesla car where this would be true?

Hi Guys,

As it is not our policy to comment on user threads, we have not tuned in thus far, but since customers have alerted us to some of the posts, we feel we need to comment some of them, at least to some extent.

Engate, we are very surprised by your continuous negative comments as we tried to accommodate you in every request, but you've decided to speak for our product and seem to be determined to answer every question by "crap" or "shit", as if you have had no positive experience with the bike whatsoever. If you dislike the bike as much, why haven't you returned it? We do have a policy for that (7-day try and return option). This just feels a bit like a troll attitude, to be honest. But of course, that is your right as well.

Just to give another side to some of your comments:

• Regarding suspension: you comment the suspension is bad, but you fail to mention that your weight exceeds maximum load capacity of the bike; nor have you opted for the harder springs; overloading the bike voids the warranty, but we have sent you free replacement parts in good faith, to keep you happy as a rider.

Regarding the front suspension:
    Other bicycle type forks such as Rockshox and Fox are great forks (for DH and FR bikes) but there are two main reasons why they will not work well on Q140MD or MX e-bikes:
    • Biggest negative: there's a very small turning angle. These forks use less steering offset in the triple clamps and more in the lower axle lugs, that is why turning angle becomes very small (25-30 deg max). Which means you just won't be able to turn in tight sections.
    • Damping in these forks is made for 15-20 kg bikes, not 50-55 kg (as MD or MX). So to make them work as they should, they would require new springs and damping. It can be done but it's demanding and costly.

About DNM suspension on our bikes: we've tuned DNM forks/shocks to work with our bikes' geometry and weight. We offer/ use different spring rates, lighter or heavier oil (viscosity), we also experiment with different shim stacks etc. You can opt for different suspension, but it's not all simply pick-and-choose what seems great on a shelf.

• Regarding water: washing an electric bike with car wash pressure cleaner is advised against in the manual. That does not mean you cannot ride the bike in the rain. Please read the manual before using the bike. (The new Q140MX is even more water-proof, as the controller is placed inside the frame.)

• Regarding performance: comparing a 15kW ebike to a 1,5kW ebike performance-wise is nonsense.

• Regarding battery pack comments: why our battery packs do not have an additional shell is because the frame of the bike itself is designed to work as an extra strong CrMo steel shell. Commenting on the battery based upon looks and not performance, is misleading at best. Our battery packs are well made and perform great, based on 6-year analysis. Of course, if you take good care of it, as with any battery pack.

• Regarding the bent mudguard blade: you've not mentioned how much mud was stuck on it. If you're riding in heavy (sticky/clay) mud, you can remove the PP part of the mudguard and just use the aluminium part. PP part is there to give you maximum protection against light mud and water, but riding hard will get you dirty in any case.

To wrap it up - we appreciate all customer feedback, and always take-in constructive suggestions and criticism. But some comments and claims just need some technical context to be understood correctly.

Q140MD and Q140MX are off-road bikes, which means you'll need to treat them as you would any off-road bike: check for bolt tension, tire pressure and other wear-and-tear after each ride. As the bikes are electric, some additional specifics exist. If you follow your manuals, take the time to understand and get to know your bike, it will serve you well and long.

And if you need any assistance, spare parts or advise, we'll be happy to help. To avoid taking over the thread, and for practical reasons, we comment here rarely. You'll find all contact info at: www.qulbix.com.

Have a great day and keep riding!
The Qulbix Team

Qulbix said:
Hi Guys,

As it is not our policy to comment on user threads, we have not tuned in thus far, but since customers have alerted us to some of the posts, we feel we need to comment some of them, at least to some extent.

Engate, we are very surprised by your continuous negative comments as we tried to accommodate you in every request, but you've decided to speak for our product and seem to be determined to answer every question by "crap" or "shit", as if you have had no positive experience with the bike whatsoever. If you dislike the bike as much, why haven't you returned it? We do have a policy for that (7-day try and return option). This just feels a bit like a troll attitude, to be honest. But of course, that is your right as well.

Just to give another side to some of your comments:

• Regarding suspension: you comment the suspension is bad, but you fail to mention that your weight exceeds maximum load capacity of the bike; nor have you opted for the harder springs; overloading the bike voids the warranty, but we have sent you free replacement parts in good faith, to keep you happy as a rider.

Regarding the front suspension:
    Other bicycle type forks such as Rockshox and Fox are great forks (for DH and FR bikes) but there are two main reasons why they will not work well on Q140MD or MX e-bikes:
    • Biggest negative: there's a very small turning angle. These forks use less steering offset in the triple clamps and more in the lower axle lugs, that is why turning angle becomes very small (25-30 deg max). Which means you just won't be able to turn in tight sections.
    • Damping in these forks is made for 15-20 kg bikes, not 50-55 kg (as MD or MX). So to make them work as they should, they would require new springs and damping. It can be done but it's demanding and costly.

About DNM suspension on our bikes: we've tuned DNM forks/shocks to work with our bikes' geometry and weight. We offer/ use different spring rates, lighter or heavier oil (viscosity), we also experiment with different shim stacks etc. You can opt for different suspension, but it's not all simply pick-and-choose what seems great on a shelf.

• Regarding water: washing an electric bike with car wash pressure cleaner is advised against in the manual. That does not mean you cannot ride the bike in the rain. Please read the manual before using the bike. (The new Q140MX is even more water-proof, as the controller is placed inside the frame.)

• Regarding performance: comparing a 15kW ebike to a 1,5kW ebike performance-wise is nonsense.

• Regarding battery pack comments: why our battery packs do not have an additional shell is because the frame of the bike itself is designed to work as an extra strong CrMo steel shell. Commenting on the battery based upon looks and not performance, is misleading at best. Our battery packs are well made and perform great, based on 6-year analysis. Of course, if you take good care of it, as with any battery pack.

• Regarding the bent mudguard blade: you've not mentioned how much mud was stuck on it. If you're riding in heavy (sticky/clay) mud, you can remove the PP part of the mudguard and just use the aluminium part. PP part is there to give you maximum protection against light mud and water, but riding hard will get you dirty in any case.

To wrap it up - we appreciate all customer feedback, and always take-in constructive suggestions and criticism. But some comments and claims just need some technical context to be understood correctly.

Q140MD and Q140MX are off-road bikes, which means you'll need to treat them as you would any off-road bike: check for bolt tension, tire pressure and other wear-and-tear after each ride. As the bikes are electric, some additional specifics exist. If you follow your manuals, take the time to understand and get to know your bike, it will serve you well and long.

And if you need any assistance, spare parts or advise, we'll be happy to help. To avoid taking over the thread, and for practical reasons, we comment here rarely. You'll find all contact info at: www.qulbix.com.

Have a great day and keep riding!
The Qulbix Team

Thank you for clarifying some things! I have sent you guys a a few emails too with some follow up questions....

C158 said:
Question on power....

What is the power like at varying levels of charge? Let's say I am at 20% battery left, do I still have the same or similar performance as 100% battery life? Since these are many single celled batteries I imagine it works like a Tesla car where this would be true?

I have not noticed any power drop-off so far, but I haven't run the battery all the way down yet either. From full to 50% though the throttle response and power seems the same as far as I can tell :)

Had tonnes of fun on my ride yesterday, it really is a very unique experience cruising through the forest in total silence, just concentrating on picking my lines through the terrain and enjoying nature :) As much as I have loved my petrol powered motorbikes these past years then I am incredibly impressed with this electric trail-riding weapon. I met quite a few people out yesterday and all I got were smiles and nods - I can tell you that would not have been the case on my KTM ;)

I watched your video!!

Do you think you could do a 10 to 15 minute uncut video? Everything from hill climb to top end speed? The gravel road/path at the end where you get off the bike seems like a good place to test its speed going a up a hill?

I am sure I can do that :) Will hopefully have a chance to do some more riding this easter weekend!

If you check out some of Vector Bikes hill climb tests, that would be neat if you would be able to do something like that. Not sure if your area allows for such tests though.

Also, is the black on your frame matte? It appears so. Is the white sticker matte or shiny?

I don't have any properly high mountains within riding distance like the Vector guys have in the Alps sadly ;)

The frame is matte, the stickers are maybe a bit shinier but not too much :)

For sure. I think I could do something similar if I end up getting it. Here is the PNW we have similar trails and terrain in places.

Do you have it delivered on pallet or in multiple boxes? If in multiple boxes, how long did it take you to put it together?

I got it delivered pretty much fully assembled :) Just had to put the handlebars, brake levers, mud guards and pedals on if I remember correctly. Took me maybe an hour in total while drinking a beer one evening :)

Ok cool. They mentioned they could send it in several boxes or a pallet. We’ll see what is best for shipping to the USA

Right now I am waiting on either an email or phone call response. I have sent two emails since Sunday with no reply and called and left a voicemail as well. I live in Seattle WA so they open right about when I am headed to bed and close right about when I wake up. Haha.

Not sure why they are not answering me.

C158 said:
Do you think you could do a 10 to 15 minute uncut video? Everything from hill climb to top end speed?

I recorded a ~25 min video with multiple hill climbs,and full throttle whenever possible :) You can find the youtube url in the other thread.
I managed to overheat the bike at the end of the video.

Watched most of it....thx!

It gets you going pretty dang good. You being 100lbs more than myself I can see where *I should* be ok with over heating like you say.

engate said:
C158 said:
Do you think you could do a 10 to 15 minute uncut video? Everything from hill climb to top end speed?

I recorded a ~25 min video with multiple hill climbs,and full throttle whenever possible :) You can find the youtube url in the other thread.
I managed to overheat the bike at the end of the video.
Hello engate, i am new at this forum...could you tell me where i can see that video? "the other thread..." yes, but which one...

hammerstrumm said:
Hello engate, i am new at this forum...could you tell me where i can see that video? "the other thread..." yes, but which one...

Here's the other thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1460802 :)

Quite a few videos of varying quality from me, and one good one from engate where he's going at a faster pace than I usually ride at :) Oh and lots of pictures and information about the bike.

Back