NYX Cromotor Max-E Build

walkev85

1 W
NEW NYX-CROMOTOR-MAX-E BUILD

I'm a little behind the ball getting things together to post right now, but as I do I want to share my progress and experiences with the ES community with Photo's on the way.

I have so much to learn after countless hours of trial and error in comparison to much of the talent I witness on ES. I hope to use this as a tool to bring recognition to those who have offered great products, advice, and support and to return the favor to those who are starting without a lick of knowledge of bikes or electrical components as I did on Day One not so long ago.

Here's what I got goin on so far...

• NYX Frame currently getting it's final touches to be shipped shortly
    20 EIG cell Battery Pack
    Cromotor V3
    Adaptto MAX-E w/ BMS & 70A Coil
    Risse Racing 150mm wide Fat Fork
    Cane Creek DB Coil Rear Shock
    Magura MT5 Hydraulic Brakes w/ 203mm Storm Discs Front & Rear
    17x2.5 Supermoto Rims w/ Holmes Hobbies 11ga butted Spokes
    Domino Throttle
    Eaton Rectifier
    Deity Saddle, Post, & Handlebars
    Chris King Headset

**Suggestions are most definitively welcome & much appreciated!
**Most of the parts I have ready to go and a few still coming. Not to mention the many random parts from my last build that never got put to use as a result of my learning process and others I can borrow from my previous build.

Subscribed 8)

We will receive the anodized parts tommorow and we will start assembling your frame. We are looking forward to see your build!

*Subsribed*
What made you choose that specific fork? I can't seem to find much info on the fork - not even on the manufacturers website. :?:

Macribs thanks for your interest!

I was looking for suspension forks with a Hub width of 150mm (standard "fat bike" width I believe) and at the time there was only RockShox Bluto which doesn't have the triple tree clamps for a DH style fork if I recall correctly. Anyway I got to know a few guys at a local bike shop that I use for my road bike and a lot of the employees are active in Cyclocross (very cool stuff I hope I get around to entering into an event this season) and other Mountain Bike-style racing. Having a BMX background and explaining to these guys this new NYX build, the one said he uses a Risse Racing fork for his DH rides (this kid is sick and rides hard; so envious ha). I did some research and saw Polaris uses them on their Helios Electric bikes as transports for the race teams at the tracks. I gave the guys at Risse a buzz and they have been very accommodating and will work with you to make custom parts. It did take a lot of time and patience but for instance they drilled 36 holes instead of the standard 32 hole Hub found on fat bikes.

Sorry for going into a lot of detail but I'm trying to squeeze 17x4.60 IRC GP-110R's on there, which are more Enduro style tires. I understand I am running into sacrificing some weight and increasing rolling resistance friction but hoping the Cromotor, Max-E, and Doc's batteries help counter that. Ultimately I want this bike to draw people's attention when I take it to Charity rides to start asking questions. I have a close family friend with MS who is a bit younger and secretly let him "help" me choose some of the parts because if all goes well, without getting ahead of myself, I would like to make another to donate to him or let him have this one and share in the meantime and possibly another for raffle. So he thought some big Enduro tires were cool so I said I can dig it and looked for a fork that would compliment the idea.

**I wish I could find who else on the forum used this fork I thought it was Drunkskunk but doesn't appear that he has it from his pics.

www.risseracing.com is the site and the store link shows some more forks and options.

I got the frame from NYX last week and couldn't be happier with it. Here's some pictures I wanted to share and get any feedback on. I'm by far no expert at building bikes so if you see something completely wack and screwed up let me know! Although I do think I have it under control so far and try to do things the right way...so let's see if you guy's got any tips for me.

As you'll see in the pictures, these tires are meant to eat fat bikes for breakfast and to be obnoxiously big haha. In order for them to fit and to have minimal strain on spreading the dropouts for the 203mm rear disc clearance I made a few modifications. In between the Swing-arm Rear Shock mount and the arms themselves I bent some aluminum stock to the contours and drilled the necessary holes for the bolts that reattach the arm. Along with getting the bolts (stainless steel grade 8 ) with the added length, look at where it pivots...It would've had side to side movement so I had to take some bushing material (Black Delrin (R) Acetal Resin) and mill some 1/4" thick rings to match the added spacing and to give it the same smoothness it had before.

The tire clearance is shown with just over 40psi so they are beyond their recommended 36psi max. Since the pictures, I reduced the psi but wanted to show that I still had what I felt is a safe buffer before I would have any rubbing issues. A nice trick if it hasn't been shared before when mounting these types of tires, is to take ZIP ties (with the inner tube if any already in-place in the tire) and space them every 2 inches give or take. It took only a few minutes and hardly any prying to get them over the rim lip.

I also milled a "C-Spacer" from steel and taped a hole in the bottom to accept a set screw to go perpendicular to the bottom flat portion of the motor axel. I didn't want to jack this up with a bunch of washers and you'll see it sits a bit away from the where the wires exit the motor and the reason why I added some extra security with the set screw. It is beyond me how you guys get these wires to not be pinched and another reason why I created a wider dropout width.

I should have my last set of bearings in a day or so and these will be for the 19mm splinned axle I cut, keyed, and welded to be longer for the heavy duty bomb proof crank arms in the picture. I intend to ride this to it's limits and the same set of cranks have never failed me before. I ran a straight edge down to make sure I had a true chain-line and this doesn't seem to be an issue but we'll see at the moment of truth when I go to install them.

I have to do some research and get in touch with NYX but I must need an adapter for my headset and guessing that this head tube can accept a tapered fork. I ordered this fork before I made the decision to start a new e-bike from scratch and why I didn't have a tapered tube to begin with. Looking now I think I will get new clamps and get the heavier duty tapered tube if this is the case.

I'm working on a Rear Fender that will mount at the Swing-arm and a Mount for the MAX-E and Guard for the wires but I'm holding off proceeding for the time being because I want to see what makes sense when I see how the battery wires etc. will be ran so I take the best approach.

I appreciate any feedback and will post more as more gets done...

Attachments

• NYX-1.jpg
    NYX-1.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 7,038
  • NYX-2.jpg
    NYX-2.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 7,038
  • NYX-4.jpg
    NYX-4.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 7,038
  • NYX-7.jpg
    NYX-7.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 7,038
  • NYX-9.jpg
    NYX-9.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 7,038
  • NYX-10.jpg
    NYX-10.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 7,038
Cool build and phat tires man. What kind of tires, and what size?
I've seen that type of fork somewhere but I can not remember where, what is the make and model?

Thanks again macribs..check out my response above when you asked earlier. Let me know if that doesn't answer your question. It's alright it's been awhile, I don't judge..I forget what I'm doing as I'm on my way to do it haha. Seriously though if you're looking for something more/else let me know I'll bet you're more active on more topics whereas I'm just getting started.

Old mans brain you know :) Hard to keep track sometimes.

Look forward to see your ride reports and videos when completed. Should you consider a little something in the frontwheel as well? :twisted:

macribs said:
Old mans brain you know :) Hard to keep track sometimes.

Look forward to see your ride reports and videos when completed. Should you consider a little something in the frontwheel as well? :twisted:

I tell you what..If I get enough support clearing obstacles on this build and make it through successfully.. than I am down for anything. I will admit that when I read Doc was gearing up to do it, I was wishing I had thought of that. I wouldn't want to impose on his vision either. For now I just want to make it through this one and make it to some charity events. Depending upon if I donate or raffle this one or keep it and build a similar one in its place to fill that role than I will know better. Summer is already halfway over here in Pennsylvania so I don't wanna interfere with why I began getting involved and let my own personal temptations surface. I don't know if the approach to go wild will catch some attention or something more fitting and practical that suits other people's needs more directly will be the way to go. I guess I'll wait and see..I'm more of the crazy type so I went with that mindset going into this.

It’s looking like my Bottom Bracket Spindle mod worked out well. Chain-line looks dead on, still have clearance with 175mm Crank Arms, & may be deceiving from the picture trying to show the chain-line, but I laid the chain on and have a good 3/16” clearance to the frame.

Honestly, this is all going rather well than originally anticipated because this is only my second E-Bike. Perfect example of why I say this..I just discovered what an Integrated Headset is….uh yea I didn’t buy one of them.

So I decided since I’m still waiting on the batteries, to call up Risse Racing about swapping the upper clamps out for a Tapered Head tube, and having them send me an Anodized Red set.

No problem, mailed the old upper clamps back this morning and thinking of getting a Cane Creek Headset…I see they have a chart and guide on their website but didn’t look into it closely.

Seems like Cane Creek is the way to go. Anyone know or have suggestions for which model or if they feel there’s better?

Attachments

• NYX-14.jpg
    NYX-14.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 6,863
  • NYX-15.jpg
    NYX-15.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 6,863
  • NYX-16.jpg
    NYX-16.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 6,863
I took some time away and let some ideas brew about making my rear fender and re-considering my approach. I may try to make one out of Carbon Fiber...I think it will be best if I can pull it off, and think it could be something achievable, but I have this curse/blessing of once I try something I don't stop until I see it through and just don't know if I want to put myself through the potential headaches. It would be a nice trade to learn and sure I find a use for it again in another application in the future.

I will also make something for a front fender but can probably utilize a plastic mtb one to work, but I want it to match so if I go Carbon Fiber, they will both be the same material.

I'm still waiting on the batteries and the red anodized upper fork clamps should be back soon; I just need to order the proper headset.

Here's some more pictures below... that's the Domino throttle and grips it came with but I added my own red accents from grips I ordered offline since the diameter of Domino sleeve that slides on the handlebars was a little too large for grips meant for handlebars. I probably could've ordered a set of grips that worked but I didn't know better and saw that I could part-out the ones I ordered. You wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out to you so I'm happy with them.

Again I don't know bikes well and sure someone realized, before I did, that my Chainring pictured earlier wasn't for a 1/2" x 1/8" like the freewheel on the Cromotor. The 56T was nice on my 1st Ebike to pedal while going about 35mph but I want ground clearance for performance anyway so I threw a 28T BMX one on for now. Or if it feels pointless, than will put a 46T I think it is from the optional Crankset that came with the NYX frame. I like doing stunts and wheelies so I thought the 28T may offer more but can't tell just yet.

I wish I knew how the throttle will feel and how much adjustment there will be on the Adaptto compared to the CA3 not to mention using a POT in lieu of a HALL throttle. I LLLOOOOVVVEEE WHEELIES & STUNTS so the other ideas brewing are either to put the rear brake on the left handlebar side so I can feather it easier, or making a bracket for a second rear caliper (probably cable style) and put a mini or thumb lever on there.

If anyone's got helpful advice I'd appreciate it...if not I'll retire from writing diary entries ha..n probably post some pictures when it's done and I get it to some Charity events when I reach that point.

Attachments

• NYX-16.jpg
    NYX-16.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 6,668
  • NYX-14.jpg
    NYX-14.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 6,668
Honestly, this is all going rather well than originally anticipated because this is only my second E-Bike. Perfect example of why I say this..I just discovered what an Integrated Headset is….uh yea I didn’t buy one of them.

Ohh can you explain what is an integrated headset? I ordered this: Cane Creek Headset AER IS Drop Fit 41mm 1-1/8" and now I got a bad feeling. Will that work with Fox 40 1 1/8" fork in a Vector frame?

macribs said:

Ohh can you explain what is an integrated headset? I ordered this: Cane Creek Headset AER IS Drop Fit 41mm 1-1/8" and now I got a bad feeling. Will that work with Fox 40 1 1/8" fork in a Vector frame?
These are the headset types, 41mm is the integrated one:
headset-head tube.JPG

peters said:
macribs said:

These are the headset types, 41mm is the integrated one:

Macribs,

I still haven't ordered mine because I still need to learn a bit more myself but this is what I've gathered so far to the best of my understanding...I am not sure if I need a "Zero Stack" (semi-integrated) yet.

I believe that is an "Integrated" Headset which is known due to the "IS" in the model name. ("EC" is an abbreviation for "External Cup" & "ZS" refers to "Zero Stack" which are each threadless and require to be pressed into the frame). The 41mm should be referring to the Forks crown race size (the race is where the bearing sits and should have a matching OD.

-Do you have a straight fork or a tapered (larger flanged bottom)?
-Does your frame have smooth bore all the way through (no places for the bearings to sit), or do you have a lip?
-I would be happy to search around for you while I look for mine. Luckily in your case there are several more Vector owners to date that may be able to offer a quicker response or better insight. If you have a picture that may be helpful or if you are able to answer those two questions I may be able to determine what your frame requires quicker.

Yeah I fcuked up. I hate burning money. Stupid of me. Well I can always put it up for sale.

macribs said:
Yeah I fcuked up. I hate burning money. Stupid of me. Well I can always put it up for sale.

Damn, I know the feeling, that's why at the beginning of my post I wrote:
**Most of the parts I have ready to go and a few still coming. Not to mention the many random parts from my last build that never got put to use as a result of my learning process and others I can borrow from my previous build.
:(

If you figured it out, great, if not, still willing to help for what it's worth. I'd still verify anything I do or say and get a second opinion before pulling the trigger.

I can return the item and have another headset shipped but I will have to check weight etc to see if I am maybe better off just sourcing a new locally and try to sell off the wrong one that is on route here.

Checking twice before pulling the trigger - I will put that to heart.

markz said:
That bike is really kick@ss.
How much you spend on it?

Thanks Markz!
I really don't have a running total tracked at the moment but it's probably around $8K USD give or take where it stands now...it's been worth every penny so far.

I'm extremely passionate about shedding light on the advancements the community has made and sharing it with other people. I'm hoping that this build will catch some of the public's attention to expose the variety of avenues that be utilized with this DIY technology.

It's my goal to explain that this is one approach. Another one could be making your own electrically assisted wheel chair for example because it is constructed from individual components available to everyone. I really feel this is great knowledge to learn and a hobby that would be fun for a kid. I hope that someone will think of there own application for this technology that fits their needs and offer to help them work through it and share that with others just like we do with bikes here.

I don't know if a wild bike will be as effective as something that is more direct for the handicapped to catch people's attention, but I think that NYX and other products used for this are going to entice some people to want to take more than a second look and ask questions about why I am there and what this bike is all about.

This is why every penny has been worth it to me. I appreciate anyone's advice and help to reach this goal.

Awesome build. It looks like My bike's brother. Nice to see another Monster bike here! Got a name for it?

I talked to Risse about the 12" version of that fork called the Bigfoot back when they were still developing the wider clamps for them, but I came across a NOS Marzocchi Super Monster and couldn't pass that up. From everything they told me about it, it should be an awesome fork.

Can't wait to see what it will be like when finnished.

Back