What are your views on 3d printed mounts and pulleys?

melonfrog5

1 mW
What are your views on 3d printed mounts and pulleys?

I'm just looking if it's worth taking the effort to use aluminium when I can just use a 3d printer

Pulleys yes, mounts no. But some guys have used them with some success. Not sure how long they'd last.

Do you have a 3D printer? Or cheap access to one? If so try it. That's what they are great for. Trying things!

Course if your going to spend for a carbon filled petg that might actually hold up for a mount, It's not much more to buy one made from aluminium.

I say yes to both 3D printed mounts and pulleys. In theory, depending on the material's yield strength and the way it is printed, it should perform as good as a metal part. However choice of material dictate lifespan of part. I would advise using aluminum on the mount if you go for a design to clamp it to the truck. This allows ample clamping force to keep your mount in place. The one thing I realized using a clamp style mount allows the use of screws or the principle of using headstuds in engine block for increase clamping force without putting extra strain on the threads.

In general 3D printing is more for prototypes before being made in the final material of choice.

3d printed motor mounts are fine for prototyping and to prove an idea. but it's best to move onto aluminium quickly after that,
I don't want a motor mount letting go at 40km/h.

Wheel pulleys are absolutely fine to be 3d printed. i have 100's of km clocked on printed pulleys and apart from a few dings here and there from road debris they are holding up fine. i'd stick with ABS, Nylon, Polycarb or Petg for drive wheel pulleys.
One guy has had his PETG squeaking but i recently knocked up one from some winbo PETG and it doesn't make a noise.
the best part about 3d printing them is you can knock out 3 or 4 different sizes to tune the top speed/torque of your board without spending too much. if you settle on a final combo go buy one on aluminum if it bothers you.

don't 3d print the motor pulley. they just don't last.

Cheers
Alex

killisch said:
3d printed motor mounts are fine for prototyping and to prove an idea. but it's best to move onto aluminium quickly after that,
I don't want a motor mount letting go at 40km/h.

Wheel pulleys are absolutely fine to be 3d printed. i have 100's of km clocked on printed pulleys and apart from a few dings here and there from road debris they are holding up fine. i'd stick with ABS, Nylon, Polycarb or Petg for drive wheel pulleys.
One guy has had his PETG squeaking but i recently knocked up one from some winbo PETG and it doesn't make a noise.
the best part about 3d printing them is you can knock out 3 or 4 different sizes to tune the top speed/torque of your board without spending too much. if you settle on a final combo go buy one on aluminum if it bothers you.

don't 3d print the motor pulley. they just don't last.

Cheers
Alex

Thanks for your reply, so you suggest not using motor mounts and motor pulleys. I am probably going to use the orangatang kegels as they is already holes in the wheels where i can mount the pulley onto. This will be my first build would you recommend for parts and experiences you've had

I like the 3D printed gear better than the 36 teeth aluminum gear from DIY electric skateboard. I can't get the aluminum gear to bolt on straight and it always has a slight wobble. The 3D printed one self centered itself perfect. And the 3D printed one only cost me $2 in ABS. I didn't ride it enough to see how long it will last, but I can always print another one for almost free.

I used this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:545345
The blue wheel picture is mine.

The orangatangs work well. Printed pulleys work, so do mounts but you need good material and structure.

joop1987 said:
I like the 3D printed gear better than the 36 teeth aluminum gear from DIY electric skateboard. I can't get the aluminum gear to bolt on straight and it always has a slight wobble. The 3D printed one self centered itself perfect. And the 3D printed one only cost me $2 in ABS. I didn't ride it enough to see how long it will last, but I can always print another one for almost free.

I used this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:545345
The blue wheel picture is mine.

I'm leaning towards 3d printed stuff since it isn't hard to print, it's cheap and most of the time durable

What bolts do you use

rs4race said:
The orangatangs work well. Printed pulleys work, so do mounts but you need good material and structure.

https://pinshape.com/items/18726-3d-printed-mounting-system-for-5055-motor-for-trucks-paris-195

I'm looking at these for the motor mounts. What would be the best material to use

I haven't ever tried straight 3d printed pulleys, but i have used a 3d print as the plug for an investment cast pulley and it turned out great. I am about to upgrade to 12s so I am switching up my pulleys and this time I am 3d printing an interface for the hub, then waterjetting the pulley itself, and I think this is the best thing i have found so far. It takes 20 minutes to waterjet the pulley and it is about $1.50 worth of material for 15mm pulley. I also used a lathe to remove some of the extra material in the middle to lighten it up. I haven't ridden it yet but it seems like it is going to be awesome and it was super easy to make. Downside: Doesn't work if you don't have access to a bunch of tools. Upiside: super easy to make gears that interface with whatever-the-heck wheel you want and it is super easy to try out different gear ratios.

Back