1 kWh LiPo club, who's in?

voicecoils

1 MW
We like power.
We like range.
Voltage drop can suck our balls.

Who else is carrying 1 kWh or more of LiPo on their ebike?

I'll start things off:

Code:
1.1 kWh, 7kg, QTY 12 Zippy FlightMax 5S1P 5Ah 15C
:p

I'm knocking on the door with 9 5s 5ah 25c Flightmax packs. 832.5wh :( I'll join soon enough...

If LiCo counts, and I get enough good ones out of the 350 or so, I'll be in... If I get 300 of them it'll be 2160Wh, at 3.6V 2.1Ah per cell. If only half of them are good, and not quite up to par, I might not quite make it in. ;)

I would love to get involved in this as I am right now building A123 M1 24s4p. But Im confused. watt/hour is a measure of use. And as such, the equation isnt just batteries, but the whole system. And for range, Lower use is better not higher! As you jam on your performance, watt hour performance changes. So Im looking confused here, a thousand watts is a killowatt. Is a thousand amps a killoamp? Would a thousand watt hours be a killowat hour? Sorry to be so dense! SS

Wh is just Ah x V.

So Wh of a pack is Ah of the paralleled cells x the V of the series'd sets of them. More of this is generally good, up to the point that the extra weight or size makes it harder to carry than it's worth to you.

Wh/mile is probably what you're thinking of in terms of performance, and that you do want to be low, so you use less of the pack's Wh to get somewhere. :)

Ah! Thanks bro. Sure eneough. Well, mine is only 805.92kWh hot, so not yet.

LOL SO! If I divide my kWh by my wh/mi I will know my range! Very cool!

man we're a bunch of wannabe's... :lol:

SilverSurfer said:
If I divide my kWh by my wh/mi I will know my range! Very cool!
You've got it, (doesnt have to be kWh, k just implies 1000) Pack Wh/Wh per mile = expected range.

amberwolf said:
nomad85 said:
Pack Wh/Wh per mile x max %DoD= expected range.
fiksed :wink:
Good point. Mine would be if you want to kill you pack expected range :mrgreen:

1.8kwhr on the bike, and a backpack pack I can wear with 2kwhr if I want more range.

LiPo is in the mail now...

if i calculated my entire battery collection... oh wow... uhhh.. rough math says

50 PSI cells = 1.600 kwh
72v 20ah LiMn = 1.440 kwh
48v 20ah lfp foil pouch = 0.960 kwh
3 x E-bikekit 36v 10ah= 1.080 kwh
3 x 24v 12ah prismatic = 0.864 kwh

about 6 kwh !! ( not counting the bins of power tool packs i have on standby.. and the packs i'm forgetting.. )

hey.. that gives me an idea for an interesting poll/survey.. i bet methods has alot more than this lol.

I guess I qualify at 1008 watts: 720 Ping plus 288 Fatpacks but I am about to change this by getting the Ping off and using 4 36 volt fatpacks in series with 2x 18 volt fatpacks. 54 volts and 8 ah. I really dont need all that range as we only ride about 15 miles per day and only use about 4 ah per ride. The higher voltage yields very good efficiency.
otherDoc.

docnjoj said:
I guess I qualify at 1008 watts: 720 Ping plus 288 Fatpacks but I am about to change this by getting the Ping off and using 4 36 volt fatpacks in series with 2x 18 volt fatpacks. 54 volts and 8 ah. I really dont need all that range as we only ride about 15 miles per day and only use about 4 ah per ride. The higher voltage yields very good efficiency.
otherDoc.

Somebody didn't read the rules of this club... :p ;)

i hope i can join
288 18650s 3.3v 1.1AH 1045 watts
used cells some wont make the grade ill bet
guess i join the list of wannabes
so many hours of wiring and testing
i have tested 1 one single cell that had blown connections only 950 ma not 1100 :|
but at least it took a charge :)

Oh Lipo Shmipo!
otherDoc

Wh is wh lol . I got 1.4kwh Thudersky Lifepo4 pack... Ive come to terms with voltage sag.. We are friends now.

icecube57 said:
Wh is wh lol . I got 1.4kwh Thudersky Lifepo4 pack... Ive come to terms with voltage sag.. We are friends now.

That will happen with Thunder Sky :p

Do LiMn's qualify? If so, then yes big time member.

Ypedal, you should hit those toolpacks with some charging. Marty left his in the basement and the quality now is a lot lower than last year. It probably killed 25% of the cells that would have otherwise been good.

Doesn't lipo imply pouch style cell chemistry? the others are Li-ion right?

Yep, AFAIK
nomad85 said:
Doesn't lipo imply pouch style cell chemistry? the others are Li-ion right?
[Lithium Polymer] Cells sold today as polymer batteries are pouch cells. Unlike lithium-ion cylindrical cells, which have a rigid metal case, pouch cells have a flexible, foil-type (polymer laminate) case. In cylindrical cells, the rigid case presses the electrodes and the separator onto each other; whereas in polymer cells this external pressure is not required because the electrode sheets and the separator sheets are laminated onto each other.
Since individual pouch cells have no strong metal casing, by themselves they are over 20% lighter than equivalent cylindrical cells.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_polymer_battery

Back