12 kw rc motor

zappy said:
Well done splinter!

Red - 13.99 kw - 18.7 hp

Most powerful RC bike yet.
Brd is 46 hp and zero is 54 hp technicly they are rc motors as well ;)

Arlo1 said:
My plan is 48 mosfet with ixfk230n20t fets ~800-900 phase amps at 170v But thats down the road it all takes time.
Jeez, that's ~500 bucks in MOSFETs alone! In any case good luck with your venture down that road...

marcexec said:
Arlo1 said:
My plan is 48 mosfet with ixfk230n20t fets ~800-900 phase amps at 170v But thats down the road it all takes time.
Jeez, that's ~500 bucks in MOSFETs alone! In any case good luck with your venture down that road...
Thats why I'm blowing up the small controllers first.

What is the known specs of this motor so far?
I would appreciate if someone could summarize.

Back EMF constant?
R & L phase-phase?
Delta or WYE?
Pole pairs?
Lamination thickness?
Weight?

Is 12kW a continuous rating?

It's all in this thread. 75 kv delta wound 8uh inductance 9 mohm resistance etc all the info is in the thread. They motors for production will have smaller skirt bearings and they have a air cooled version too I'm not sure on what the final specs will be.

I am running Kelly controller, 72volt and 700 amp peak and high speed firmware. It has slightly modified firmware from the factory and works a treat.
Dyno'd at 14kw and limited by the battery pack I have installed.

This is on the prototype motor... I have the new aircooled that I want to check as well, but time is in short supply.

Ok so now that the motors are ready for production I am curious as to some of the limits of this motor so that I can better design my system.

Originally on the prototypes it was stated that it would be possible to stack multiple motors on the same shaft. Is this still possible with the production machines?

What is the maximum safe mechanical RPM of the 12kW motor? It appears that the skirt bearing is only rated to ~7000RPM. Is this the highest RPM a motor has been tested at? What is the maximum torque this motor has been tested to or can handle (due to saturation or resistive losses)? Were these limits motor related or controller related?

Thanks for any information that can be provided

Nuts&Volts said:
Ok so now that the motors are ready for production I am curious as to some of the limits of this motor so that I can better design my system.

Originally on the prototypes it was stated that it would be possible to stack multiple motors on the same shaft. Is this still possible with the production machines?

What is the maximum safe mechanical RPM of the 12kW motor? It appears that the skirt bearing is only rated to ~7000RPM. Is this the highest RPM a motor has been tested at? What is the maximum torque this motor has been tested to or can handle (due to saturation or resistive losses)? Were these limits motor related or controller related?

Thanks for any information that can be provided
You will be spending BIG money to find the limits of this motor. Mine is still cool to the touch after repeated 15hp dyno runs with no cooling connected!
Splinter is limited by his controller and batteries and he is at 18 hp with no cooling hooked up. Although with big phase amps he is getting it warm.

Remember the new motor for sale is 28 magnet polls so this will cause a huge problem for Hi rpm.... I have the old one and spun it past 11000 rpm and I plan to again.
I built a ceramic bearing....

EDIT: posted in wrong thread. Supposed to be in http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=787599#p787599

The higher pole count shouldn't change much. The motor will make higher torque, but will be limited by iron losses at a lower RPM. So if the old 20 pole motor made a nominal 20Nm at 5600 RPM (12kW), the new 28 pole motor will make a nominal 28Nm at 4000 RPM (12kW). The iron and resistive losses should in theory be the same on both versions. The difference for the user is a change in gearing. (If the motor was rewound to make the same kv after changing pole count, the user also has to decrease battery voltage and increase current. If not, kv changes inversely proportional with pole count, so no need to change battery voltage.)

I think it's sad that this thread derailed because some people saw the change in pole count as negative, when it in reality probably is only positive, since you can have a bigger front sprocket/smaller rear.

I just noticed that I posted in the wrong thread. :D

It was supposed to be in the sale thread. So I'm posting a copy in that one too.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=787599#p787599

yes, now its becoming known that this is a double length ca120-70 and therefore has the same habits of high specific torque, low resistive losses and high no load losses from rpm.
ive put 400a phase into this new motor and it made 44NM.
-although at 200a things were better with 25.6NM :wink:

knowing how we dont really want too many revs, noise and multi stage reductions, it seems like this torquey behavior is exactly what folks are after, vs say an apposing motor like an astro? -so lately ive cut back on banging my head against that particular brick wall, content that we have moved on from the old staple diet of "the inductance is to low and you cant run it"..

while we have you miles, could you have a quick look at arlos idea for this very motor? http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=52083&hilit=collosus&start=50#p779267 with 8 mags instead of 28, one thing i have learnt lately here is that would mean you need masses of back iron for the mags, but is it viable and what would be the general result? -thanks.

toolman2 said:
yes, now its becoming known that this is a double length ca120-70 and therefore has the same habits of high specific torque, low resistive losses and high no load losses from rpm.
ive put 400a phase into this new motor and it made 44NM.
-although at 200a things were better with 25.6NM :wink:

knowing how we dont really want too many revs, noise and multi stage reductions, it seems like this torquey behavior is exactly what folks are after, vs say an apposing motor like an astro? -so lately ive cut back on banging my head against that particular brick wall, content that we have moved on from the old staple diet of "the inductance is to low and you cant run it"..

while we have you miles, could you have a quick look at arlos idea for this very motor? http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=52083&hilit=collosus&start=50#p779267 with 8 mags instead of 28, one thing i have learnt lately here is that would mean you need masses of back iron for the mags, but is it viable and what would be the general result? -thanks.
Even 20 would be better then 28.... As you lower the magnet count you have to increase the back iron (outer can) so 8 magnets might make a very heavy motor. The different magnet thing is something I picked up from miles. It would be nice to bring down the electrical RPM because 14 erpm per rpm is quite high and for those who want to really push this motor they might find the hi rpm to hard to achieve...

Even 20 would be better then 28.... As you lower the magnet count you have to increase the back iron (outer can) so 8 magnets might make a very heavy motor. The different magnet thing is something I picked up from miles. It would be nice to bring down the electrical RPM because 14 erpm per rpm is quite high and for those who want to really push this motor they might find the hi rpm to hard to achieve...

This is frustrating. If you didn't read my post above, read it. Lower pole count will not make more power. It will just put the power at a higher RPM.

bearing said:

This is frustrating. If you didn't read my post above, read it. Lower pole count will not make more power. It will just put the power at a higher RPM.
Im not saying it will make more power. I'm saying it will make controller choice easier.

Arlo1 said:
Im not saying it will make more power. I'm saying it will make controller choice easier.

The controller choice will not change, as far as I understand. The pole count will change the ratio of the electrical RPM and motor RPM. But the power potential at a specific electrical RPM is the same.

bearing said:
Arlo1 said:

The controller choice will not change, as far as I understand. The pole count will change the ratio of the electrical RPM and motor RPM. But the power potential at a specific electrical RPM is the same.
Yes with a higher phase amp controller. If you make more torque at a lower rpm then you are making more HP or WATTS which means you need more Watts going into the system and if the KV is the same then the AMPS are what has to increase.
You will then come back with what If you don't need to make more power... But then I will point out the new 28 magnet motor can not spin as fast so to have the same HP at the end it will need to make more HP at a lower rpm so you will have to feed it more amps to get the same end result.

With 28s poles you don't need to take it to 9000 RPM, because it will make the same power at 6400 (9000/6400 = 28/20). And it will have the same losses. EDIT: and the same electrical frequency. And the same amps. And the same battery.

I can not make my point any clearer.

Arlo1 said:
But then I will point out the new 28 magnet motor can not spin as fast so to have the same HP at the end it will need to make more HP at a lower rpm so you will have to feed it more amps to get the same end result.
Kv is not the same. With a higher pole count you get more torque per Amp and the resistance is constant.

bearing said:
With 28s poles you don't need to take it to 9000 RPM, because it will make the same power at 6400 (9000/6400 = 28/20). And it will have the same losses. EDIT: and the same electrical frequency. And the same amps. And the same battery.

I can not make my point any clearer.
In order to get more power you need more power going in or a higher efficiency which one is it?

Back