12s2p LiPo pack kit including 12-channel BMS "Lite" Board

fabiograssi said:
I am with 8 x 6s 5000mah 30C at home, waiting like crazy for the wraped version!

Just to inform: this 8 packs 30C come to me from HK WITHOUT the bullet connectors...

- Fabio

I have 8 X 6s 8000mAh 30C coming from HK, the product description has them equipped with 5.5 bullet connectors. I have a gas fired soldering iron if they don't.

Kirk said:
fabiograssi said:
I am with 8 x 6s 5000mah 30C at home, waiting like crazy for the wraped version!

Just to inform: this 8 packs 30C come to me from HK WITHOUT the bullet connectors...

- Fabio

I have 8 X 6s 8000mAh 30C coming from HK, the product description has them equipped with 5.5 bullet connectors. I have a gas fired soldering iron if they don't.

heh heh... On my bench ...thats the only way to get ish done..

[youtube]XchwE9zVdnw[/youtube]

Hi Gary,

Any progress on this? I'm dying to get at least a couple of them.

Thanks.

Here is what will be available first. It is the latest version of our Zephyr BMS "Lite" design, in an embeddable form. The PCB below shows both 4 x 6s4p and 2 x 8s4p boards per PCB and the new standalone charge controller, which goes in its own small box. These are complete BMS boards, not just LVC/HVC, and includes two separate HVC busses, just like the full-size Zephyr circuits, and cell balancing.

View attachment 1

Here's a shot of a 12s setup with two 6s boards, and the charge controller:

12s LiPo Embedded BMS Lite-01.jpg

I had these ready-to-go, but after doing some extensive testing, I decided to make a few tweaks. One change is to replace the 5.1V zeners I've been using, which protect the TC54s from popping should a cell connection become disconnected, with some 6.8V TVS diodes. The zeners work fine, but they are pretty sensitive, and blow pretty easy. When they do go, they fail as a direct short, which then causes the fuse traces to go. The TVS diodes are much more robust, and they won't fail, except under some catastrophic conditions. Anyway, this was a fairly easy change. I've also tweaked the shunt current slightly so that there's plenty of balance current (100-120mA) but the heat is kept in check without requiring any sort of extra heat sinks. The parts get warm, but not so much that you can't leave your finger on them. This is fine for embedding these in with the packs.

Anyway, while I was making these last set of changes I decided to also add the 8s boards, as I've had quite a few requests from people with setups that are based on 8s LiPo packs.

-- Gary

That's great news. When do you expect to have these available? :D

Ambrose

so interested in this. been trolling the boards for a couple weeks and this would make my life a lot simpler. might have missed it but has a price been posted yet?

i'd be happy with the parts list, and a working layout :) though i don't know if this is a hobby project or a commercial one, in which case there will be no parts list ;)
this thing is exactly (and even more) what i was thinking off as well - o/c w/o any complex knowledge of electronics.
can't wait to buy/assemble one of these!

Assuming cost isn't prohibitive, I definately want one too. Although I would much prefer the packaged plug-n-play version, in a stressful life I just want to be able to chuck my lipo pack on a PSU, and be done with it. Let the BMS sort it out.. :)

i don't want to hijack that thread, but could someone answer me how that bms lite differs from the smart bms - in case you don't install the celllogs of course, and use it as a "normal" bms. this is no offense, but i'm quite new to all this and don't see much difference, and this is only $24.
http://www.bmsbattery.com/smart/330-lifepo4lithium-ion-smart-bms-for-513-cells-in-series.html

does your board allow more current? is it more precise? is it safer to use? ...

i'd really like to buy one, and in the end i'll most probably will buy both of them :)

izeman said:
i don't want to hijack that thread, but could someone answer me how that bms lite differs from the smart bms - in case you don't install the celllogs of course, and use it as a "normal" bms. this is no offense, but i'm quite new to all this and don't see much difference, and this is only $24.
http://www.bmsbattery.com/smart/330-lifepo4lithium-ion-smart-bms-for-513-cells-in-series.html

i'd really like to buy one, and in the end i'll most probably will buy both of them :)

This so-called "smart" BMS is typical of the import designs, which have low balance currents, and have a discharge limit. You can, of course, simply bypass the output FETs, and maybe figure out how to tap off a signal that could be used to pull down the throttle signal, or you could simply use this as a balancer, and use something like methods' LVC boards for the LVC function. Even as a balancer, though, this has a woefully low balance current capability of only 50-60mA. Even with LiPos, this will take quite some time to balance even a healthy pack. In comparison, our latest Zephyr BMS provides about 500-600mA of balance current. That is ten times what this will do. :eek: :) The Zephyr also has a "smarter" charge control scheme that will throttle the charge current back, when needed, to allow weak and/or grossly imbalanced cells a chance to automatically balance with the rest of the pack. We also have a very effective end-of-charge cutoff function that turns off the charge current completely when the cells are full and balanced. The Zephyr charge controller can also handle much higher charge currents, like 20, 30 or even 50A, if needed, and is expandable to support virtually any pack configuration, up to 300V+

The "Lite" version has exactly the same feature set, including the LVC function, but has a lower amount of balance current, so that these boards can be embedded in with the packs, without the need for an aluminum box, which acts as a heatsink for the higher current full Zephyr BMS units. Even still, the Zephyr Lite boards will handle at least twice the balance current of that BMSBattery import model. The charge controller uses the same circuits, but it is packaged to go in a small box. You have just two input wires, from the charger/supply, and a single output harness that has the main charge current wires, and the control signals going to the embedded BMS boards. These boards also act as parallel adapters, which simplifies pack connections.

It is more expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for, in my opinion. :) You will be able to save money, though, by building them yourself, if you have basic soldering skills. They are not that hard to build.

-- Gary

Okay, I think we are just about ready to go with these. I now have new boards, both in 6s and 8s versions. Testing is complete, and the resistor values we've been tweaking are dialed in now.These will be offered with three different options, PCBs-only, with a BOM and build instructions; a complete kit of all parts, plus the build instructions; and as an assembled/tested version. For the latter, it will be on a first-come, first served basis and may take awhile to ship, depending on the demand. There will be combo discounts, for a number of configurations. Here is what a typical 12s combo looks like:

12s LiPo Embedded BMS Lite-01.jpg

The 6s and 8s boards can be embedded in the packs, and can daisy-chained together to support virtually any pack configuration. Each of these boards can also be used as parallel adapters for up to 4p configurations.

I will post some more pics, showing various setups, a bit later. I'm currently working an a 16s2p 60V/11.6Ah pack for one of my folding bikes, using two of the 8s boards. I also have a couple of 12s2p setups and a 24s3p configuration that I will be updating with these embedded BMS boards.

Here is the preliminary pricing info, for the initial options we will offer:

Embedded BMS Lite Pricing Summary.png

I still haven't done a new website yet, but I have made a bit of progress. in the meantime, I'll probably start a "for sale" thread in the For Sale section.

More later...

-- Gary

Gary,

Can I order a 3x6s + CC now and later add another 6s board later?
Dont you a have a 12s2p ready with bats? Can you post pictures of it?

gensem said:
Gary,

Can I order a 3x6s + CC now and later add another 6s board later?
Dont you a have a 12s2p ready with bats? Can you post pictures of it?

Yes, you can easily do this.

I have my 12s2p pack apart, at the moment, I'll post some pics of this, with the embedded boards, as soon as I can. I'm working on the assembly instructions, as I go.

-- Gary

Hi Gary,

Is there any way I could hook my 2x 6s and 1x 4s for 16s to your bms ?

And could I use my 66.4 volt emc 400 charger from bmsbattery ?

izeman said:

Any BMS is smarter then mentioned "smart BMS", have 2 catching dust now, I am just to afraid to connect any battery to it.

I am a little confused, and pardon this rather dumb question.

The OP seemed to indicate that you could put 4-6s pacs into one set up.

in order to have that OP setup, what would be needed? a 2X6s setup or simply one 6s board?

Back