1500W Hub Motor stopping and starting when holding throttle. Motor power cuts in and out

spazzo246

10 µW
Hi All

Having a wierd problem with the front motor on my 60v electric scooter.

I lifted it up one day to my workbench to work on it one day. After I finished working on it I lifted it off the work bench and back to the ground. As I went off for a ride, I noticed that when holding the throttle the front wheel was stopping and starting. No errors on the TFT display the motor briefly stops then stars spinning again.

Here is a video of the issue. New video by Campo (file siz too big to attach to this thread)

Its definately the front motor that is the issue as I have swapped the controller/phase wires around and the back motor works fine with both controllers but the front motor has the problem with both controllers

Its still under warranty with the factory I bought it from but they are ghosting me at this point so im going to open up the motor and check things and buy a new motor if im not able to fix.

Does anyone have any ideas what this issue might be?

Thanks

Sounds like a continuation of your original problem, just a new variation of it
where if you unplug your front motor the rear motor works, implying there's a problem with the front motor itself. It might be better to merge this thread with the original one, since the original problem itself was never resolved, so this "new" problem is almost certainly the same cause.

What the specific problem is, don't know--could just be a connector or cable problem, anywhere from inside the motor to the pins on the connector, such as a broken wire inside the cable, or poor crimp or solder connection. Could be an insulation failure allowing a short between wires inside the cable. Could be a winding problem, shorts between two or more, or between windings and laminations. Etc.

Hi @amberwolf. thanks for your reply.

I was able to get the motor apart. The magnets on the coils near the hall sensor wires themselves seem damaged/separated the ? they are also very rusted im not sure if this is the cause. I have a hall testing kit on the way which might help diagnose more

Here is a video: New video by Campo

I think im just going to buy a new motor at this point but its beyond my knowledge here to troubleshoot any further

Hey Spazzo246 . I am having pretty much the exact same problem with my Fatbikes front motor cutting in and out on full throttle. I was wondering if you were able to track down exactly what was causing this problem or did you just replace the front motor without any resolutions to what caused this to happen to begin with. Also when the motor on yours vibrate at all once your scooter did cut back on? Any answer would be a tremendous help to me on figuring out my problem . And I hope the solution is positive and working well for you bro. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thank You Very Much Sir. JasonWolf

Sounds like a continuation of your original problem, just a new variation of it
where if you unplug your front motor the rear motor works, implying there's a problem with the front motor itself. It might be better to merge this thread with the original one, since the original problem itself was never resolved, so this "new" problem is almost certainly the same cause.

What the specific problem is, don't know--could just be a connector or cable problem, anywhere from inside the motor to the pins on the connector, such as a broken wire inside the cable, or poor crimp or solder connection. Could be an insulation failure allowing a short between wires inside the cable. Could be a winding problem, shorts between two or more, or between windings and laminations. Etc.
Amberwolf I would like to mention that after reading several of your replys to ongoing issues people are experiencing with there eBikes that I can't tell you how much your knowledge means to me and I see for many others as well. I just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking your time by replying answers to our problems if only the world had more outstanding people out there like you it would make this world a better place. So not only speaking for myself I think it's best to say I'm taking my time doing it for everyone else as well. Thank You my friend your help and advice so far has been is priceless

Hi All

Having a wierd problem with the front motor on my 60v electric scooter.

I lifted it up one day to my workbench to work on it one day. After I finished working on it I lifted it off the work bench and back to the ground. As I went off for a ride, I noticed that when holding the throttle the front wheel was stopping and starting. No errors on the TFT display the motor briefly stops then stars spinning again.

Here is a video of the issue. New video by Campo (file siz too big to attach to this thread)

Its definately the front motor that is the issue as I have swapped the controller/phase wires around and the back motor works fine with both controllers but the front motor has the problem with both controllers

Its still under warranty with the factory I bought it from but they are ghosting me at this point so im going to open up the motor and check things and buy a new motor if im not able to fix.

Does anyone have any ideas what this issue might be?

Thanks
I watched and listened to your video and this is to a T exactly what my front motor is doing and sounds. Sometimes I have to shut the bike power off and on to get it working again. Or if I pull full throttle with the breaks engaged then let go of the brakes it will come back on and start spinning again. Kinda like dumping the clutch on a gas powered bike to do a burn out with just the front wheel. Then I will hit a bump or just pull the throttle back to accelerate again and it will start acting up again cutting off and back on. I checked all the wiring and there aren't any cuts or splits in the motor wires that I see. I just wonder if you were able to figure out what was causing your scooter to do this.

Back