19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

brumbrum said:
@Baron, Try a knife or grinder on the outer edge of the tyre knobbles IF you do get any rubbing.
Good idea, last time I used carpet knife and did cut every knob one by one, it solved the problem but looked very strange esthetically. Grinder may result a good idea, I would spin the tire at good speed and try to grind the edge in question with geometrical caution (in rotation direction). Then share the result with the rest of us. :D

sorry to interrupt.
wheel builders, i need your guesstimation:
my brand new 19" rear wheel (bldc, single cross lacing) is centered over the motor but not relative to the axle mounting points. spokes on both sides seem to be the same length. the rim must move about 8mm to the left. the guy at the shop i asked to do the centering thinks that is not possible so we didn't try.
what do you think, how much can the rim be moved per each full turn of all the spoke nipples on each side (losen one side and tighten the opposite side)?

joe81 said:
sorry to interrupt.
wheel builders, i need your guesstimation:
my brand new 19" rear wheel (bldc, single cross lacing) is centered over the motor but not relative to the axle mounting points. spokes on both sides seem to be the same length. the rim must move about 8mm to the left. the guy at the shop i asked to do the centering thinks that is not possible so we didn't try.
what do you think, how much can the rim be moved per each full turn of all the spoke nipples on each side (losen one side and tighten the opposite side)?

What you are referring to is called "dishing" and its very possible. Bicycle manufactures have to dish the rim to be centered when mounted, even though the gear side (cluster or cog set) side has much more space from the spoke flange to the axle face than the disk brake side. To dish your rim, you will need shorter spokes on the left side to pull the rim over the 8mm you need. Justin's spoke calculator at Grin Cyclery www.ebikes.ca will help you determine the length of spoke needed.

thanks Rix.
the thing is my bike shop here in a small city in china says they cannot source other spokes anyway.
after a long search this is the only shop that i found to have the proper tools and the mechanic seems to know what he is doing (very rare in china..).

..but the description in to the spoke calculator got me thinking.. if really no chance to fix it we could relace with all spokes on one side inside of the flange and on the other side on the outside.. maybe even radial if they are way too short.
i know all that will be bad for the wheel build quality..

joe81 said:
thanks Rix.
the thing is my bike shop here in a small city in china says they cannot source other spokes anyway.
after a long search this is the only shop that i found to have the proper tools and the mechanic seems to know what he is doing (very rare in china..).

..but the description in to the spoke calculator got me thinking.. if really no chance to fix it we could relace with all spokes on one side inside of the flange and on the other side on the outside.. maybe even radial if they are way too short.
i know all that will be bad for the wheel build quality..

All you need are some short spokes for the one side. As far as custom cut to length spokes go, I have sourced them from China, Kingstar is legit as it gets. http://www.ebay.com/usr/kingstar-cn?euid=44ac008ebbb74fcfa2c30d212ca978d8&cp=1&exe=13926&ext=35632&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext you can watch a youtube video how to dish a wheel and you would be set.

I just ordered one of these... https://www.electricrt.com/collections/front-wheels/products/19x-1-6-front-moto-rim-20mm-hub which have just been reduced from 200usd to 150

Thinking of getting either one of these front tyres in 70/100 profile...
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-95-113-maxxcross-it
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-97-113-maxxcross-si

Both have a section width of 83mm.

Yes it will add even more weight to my ride, but with the confidence and grip my 3.5" trials tyre has given me i have to try a proper mx tyre on the front.

Brumbrum, your machine is seriously wicked, I like it. Some folks dont realize just how big a 3.5" wide rear tire is, from you pic, its obvious.

Rix said:
Brumbrum, your machine is seriously wicked, I like it. Some folks dont realize just how big a 3.5" wide rear tire is, from you pic, its obvious.
As a size comparison, keep in mind the front tyre is not skinny! 24"x3" which has a 26" diameter and a 73mm width(vuelta usa)
Once you go beyond a 3" tyre you are definitely into a new realm, as you yourself stated earlier in this thread. It was a nightmare to mount onto the rim until i finally got my technique down with three tyre irons and a bead buddy. The new tyre is also slightly out of balance, something i can live with but at high speed i can feel a slight oscillation. 12psi is all thats needed as the tyre is designed for this purpose with soft but strong sidewalls with the radial construction. Tread is about 12mm deep. Though the weight penalty of this fat radial tyre may take its toll as time goes on. I picked up the tyre very cheaply as new old stock. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The front maxxis tyres linked to above should in theory be much lighter as they are two ply tyres which i guess means two nylon layers on the sidewalls and two on the tread?

Your bike does look awesome brumbrum! That is the same front wheel I have but I did the 19 x 2.75 Shinko 241. Its slightly harder than the rear 17 x 3.00 but feels solid on concrete turns with out wander where the rear is a little more "loose." On the dirt both ends are planted!

I gotta say I dig the monster rear tire and really like the look of full knobbies on our bikes.

I know you already told me but is your mudhugger a short or long one? Look like you have an extension on yours. I was planning on the "long rear mudhugger" and adding the "rear fathugger upgrade kit" if needed for width.

Tom

litespeed said:
Your bike does look awesome brumbrum! That is the same front wheel I have but I did the 19 x 2.75 Shinko 241. Its slightly harder than the rear 17 x 3.00 but feels solid on concrete turns with out wander where the rear is a little more "loose." On the dirt both ends are planted!

I gotta say I dig the monster rear tire and really like the look of full knobbies on our bikes.

I know you already told me but is your mudhugger a short or long one? Look like you have an extension on yours. I was planning on the "long rear mudhugger" and adding the "rear fathugger upgrade kit" if needed for width.

Tom

Yes i have had to extend the mud hugger, i used the standard extender, it is also the standard size mudhugger and its still letting a lot of mud get over my back :cry:
Go for the longer version, but the width will be fine for up to a 3" moto tyre. I had to widden mine with a heat gun for the monster truck 3.5 tyre on the rear lol.

Knobbles are great for me, on a 23 mile ride the other day i probably only rode 600m of road. I could never get away with using this bike on public roads without constantly checking over my shoulder to see whose watching.

I just weighed a few tyres i have... Approx rounded up weights as the digital scales i have are very sensative
3.00x17" CST C186 - 3kg
3.00x17" CST C183a - 3kg
3x24" mtb tyre Vuelta usa - 1.5kg
I imagine my vee rubber vrm308 3.5" tyre is 5kg though i have not weighed it.

Sorry if this has been asked a dozen times, the search ignores 24". Would a 24" bicycle tire fit on a 20" motorcycle rim? Beyond 16" motorcycle rims and 20" bicycle tires, are there other bicycle tires that fit other motorcycle rim sizes?

Per http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html the bead seat diameter for a 24" rim is 507mm or just about 20". I don't know if there is much for 20" motorcycle rims, though.

My latest build. MXUS 500W DD, 19" 1.35 rim, 2.25 moped tire. Total weight with freewheel, torq arm, nuts 10,0kg sharp. Spoke washers? Never seen those anywhere, never used those. Spokes are custom-made 130mm 3mm stainless steel. 46 spokes (i ordered 40) and nipples with postage 71 euros. 19" is very easy size to find street tires compared to 21".

Wheel.jpg

Eskimo said:
My latest build. MXUS 500W DD, 19" 1.35 rim, 2.25 moped tire. Total weight with freewheel, torq arm, nuts 10,0kg sharp. Spoke washers? Never seen those anywhere, never used those. Spokes are custom-made 130mm 3mm stainless steel. 46 spokes (i ordered 40) and nipples with postage 71 euros. 19" is very easy size to find street tires compared to 21".

Where did you find the rim? Any reason you went with 2.25 moped tire? Which tire and how much does it weigh? What is the inflated diameter?

FluxZoom said:
Where did you find the rim? Any reason you went with 2.25 moped tire? Which tire and how much does it weigh? What is the inflated diameter?

Rim is from here, local moped parts shop: http://www.moposport.fi/vannekeha-19
This tire is pretty light, 1,7kg, it"s 2-ply. It"s pretty optimal for me. Stronger than bicycle tire but much lighter than motorcycle tire.
Tire is from the same shop: http://www.moposport.fi/rengas-2-25-19-katu-valkosivu-m853-mitroc

Rix said:
Just stumbled across this vendor. Looks like he stocks 19x1.6 and 17x1.6 rims laced to 20mmx110mm DH hubs. https://electricrt.myshopify.com/collections/front-wheels. Don't know anything about this company though. Has anyone had any experience?
I ordered the front I will review upon arrival..

kneedeep said:
Rix said:
Just stumbled across this vendor. Looks like he stocks 19x1.6 and 17x1.6 rims laced to 20mmx110mm DH hubs. https://electricrt.myshopify.com/collections/front-wheels. Don't know anything about this company though. Has anyone had any experience?

I have just ordered one as well from same vendor.

I've bought a lot from Alan / Electricrt. I've already received my on-sale 17" moto rim/hub from him along with a QS205V3 in the same 17" Rim. I'll be putting 2.75" Gazelle's on the rims tonight, but I'm very happy with the purchase so far.

-Jim

brumbrum said:
kneedeep said:
Rix said:

I have just ordered one as well from same vendor.

I always thought they were re selling motors/ wheelsets from QS. Be sure to put up some pics

I'm working on building a bike for myself using 16 inch Michelin MC tyres on 20 inch BMX wheels. The wheels are copies of the Skyway Tuff, very solid and robust but the rims are not all that wide, 1.4-1.5", I forgot to measure them. It was really hard work to get the wheels onto these rims but with a couple of tyre irons, a load of liquid soap, a rubber mallet and a lot of swearing I managed it. I used standard MC inner tubes, much thicker than bicycle ones. Not sure how much this setup weighs, but I'm going for robustness and no flats so added weight is a given.

View attachment 1

Michelin M45.JPG

Michelin M45 2.JPG

bmw rear wheel 2.JPG

Next to a 26 inch MTB wheel and tyre for comparison, quite a bit smaller.

P1070887.jpg

This is the frame I'm going to put the wheels on, it's a nice strong downhill frame, nothing special but it cost me 22ukp, the forks are Suntour, fine for the type of riding I will be doing. It has the brackets for disk brakes so I took a hacksaw and cut off the lugs the rim brakes mounted to in order to create enough clearance for the wide MC tires.

Attachments

• $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    228 KB · Views: 3,523
with a couple of tyre irons, a load of liquid soap, a rubber mallet and a lot of swearing I managed it.

You my friend, know what its like to deal with difficult tires. Sounds like my experience trying to mount a tire with a Bibb Mousse.

It would have been easier if the rims were a bit wider, these MC tires are really a bit wide for these BMX rims, but they seem to be fine now they are actually fitted. A very tight fit indeed, but once they were on, a nice feeling of achievement as my dad insisted they wouldn't fit as the rims were too narrow.

Careful with your inflation pressure. Nylon rims are usually only rated for 35-40 psi, and mounting a wider than anticipated tire increases casing tension at any given pressure.

Another thing to be aware of is "creep"; the tendency for nylon among other materials to squish out of shape from a small but sustained force, like your e-bike sitting undisturbed for days or weeks as its weight causes a flat spot in each wheel. The flat spot is reversible, but it takes about as long to recover as it did to form.

Back