19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
maybe contact motocruzin directly.. they have different shipping options, so maybe you selected air or priority shipping???

makes sense, I went to the blog page and they hadn't said anything since 2018? so I didn't try. ill fire an email off to them.
another tire I tried to buy was from unicycle.com. I chose amazon for payment method. but amazon wont ship from Georgia to Canada, weird.
https://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-hardware/tires-tubes-rim-strips-and-valve-caps/20-24-inch-tires

goatman said:
rollingfieldz said:
Merlin said:
19x1,4 + 2.75 tires are no problem

Thank you Merlin, I like the idea of using a rim on the narrower side so long as it works well, as I would think this gives the tire a taller profile and is so better for shock absorption, which for me is a priority along with a tire thats all purpose, flat resistant and stable at moderately fast (40ish mph) speeds. I was looking at 24 inch bike rims to pair with a 3 inch 24 inch Denzel E bike tire which seems practically unique in terms of its toughness. It seems like there's some strong wide 24 inch bike rims being made but it's hard to get your hands on one. The dominator 2 unicycle rim is sold out everywhere, and I cannot find a MTX 39 or the 50mm Alex rim they use for motopeds. Anyway 19x1.4 rims + 2.75 tires look like a great way to go. There are many more heavy duty tire choices and I think they will have 6mm hole that will work with the homes hobbies moped nipples to use 13 gauge spokes and nexus 3 hub. I am still looking for a good value 135mm bolt on or QR hub able to take 13 gauge spokes for the front.

the denzel 24x3.0 tire, do you know where to get them in the usa? I was at motocruzin
https://www.motocruzin.com/product/denzel-e-bike-tire-24x3
but they wanted $650 for shipping a $50 tire :shock: . I fired off an email to east gem http://www.eastgem.net/tire-24x3.html
seems theyre in china, could be a long wait

I ordered 4 tires directly from Eastge and the shipping was $257 USD. $650!? Thats way to high.

motocruzin.com/product/denzel-e-bike-tire-24x3

"... we recommend motorcycle type tire irons or spoons and tire lube when mounting. Please choose Flat Rate Shipping for this product as it is the most economical... Flat rate tires: $32.00 .. "

motocruzin.com/product/denzel-e-bike-tire-24x3

"... we recommend motorcycle type tire irons or spoons and tire lube when mounting. Please choose Flat Rate Shipping for this product as it is the most economical... Flat rate tires: $32.00 .. "

Thats a lot cheaper than I got directly from East Gem. One thing for sure, these tires are tough and heavy compared to the Duro Razorback 24x3.

I have a custom build project I'm working on. The question I have is then is it possible to put a 110/80 -19 M/C 59S TT on a 20 inch bicycle rim instead of the. 19x2.5 motorcycle rim it says. I'm building a chopper bicycle with a electric wheel hub on front tire and this is the tire going on the rear powered by a 4stroke 212cc. The tire is a Bridgestone Mag Mopus G515 Bias ply tire. it happen to a gift from a customer so im trying to figure the least expensive way of using it on the bike frame.

GypsyWolf_Rider said:
I have a custom build project I'm working on. The question I have is then is it possible to put a 110/80 -19 M/C 59S TT on a 20 inch bicycle rim instead of the. 19x2.5 motorcycle rim it says. I'm building a chopper bicycle with a electric wheel hub on front tire and this is the tire going on the rear powered by a 4stroke 212cc. The tire is a Bridgestone Mag Mopus G515 Bias ply tire. it happen to a gift from a customer so im trying to figure the least expensive way of using it on the bike frame.

It is not possible to put 110/80 -19 M/C 59S TT on a 20 inch bicycle rim. The tire is too big diameter. The rim is too small diameter.
ie you tire choice is too big for 20 inch bicycle rim.

Instead you can put 16inch (16x2.0 or 16x2.5 or 16x2.75 etc) moped tire on 20 inch bicycle rim.

19" moto tire won't mount on any bicycle rim (that I know of).. bc bicycle wheel measures OD including tire.. so 20" bike wheel is actually 16" rim diameter + tire = 20" nominal wheel diameter..

19" moto tire won't mount on any bicycle rim (that I know of).. bc bicycle wheel measures OD including tire.. so 20" bike wheel is actually 16" rim diameter + tire = 20" nominal wheel diameter..

I almost got a 19" SR241 on a 24" MTX MTB rim, which is 20" :? . I was able to get one side on, but couldn't get the other side. I would have tried with my moto tire irons, but I would most like damage the rim trying to pry the bead on. The attempt was aborted due to that concern. The only motor tires I am aware of that will actually fit on bicycle rims is 16" tire on a 20" bmx rim, which is actually a 16" hoop.

Do these moto tires have a style like fat bike tires that gives some shock absorption value for not-smooth gravel, off road cruising?

generally I would say yes.. but that ride quality is more dependant on tire volume and air pressure than the tire casing, thickness, durability and high speed rating that moto tire advantages offer.. fat bicycle tires are often used instead of suspension.. moto tires not so much, different reasons for using them..

Yes the durability / thicker construction actually gets in the way of that effect I guess?

i want to thank everyone for their information. its for the safety factor of a blowout at the speeds a motorized bike reaches and the length of tire wear compared to a bicycle tire wearing out in a few weeks. also just having that much meat of a tire under your ass when doing 30mph makes you feel a whole lot safer and more secure. so ill see what i can do with a 24"x2.5" bike tire and try and keep from ruining the rim and the tube.

GypsyWolf_Rider said:
so ill see what i can do with a 24"x2.5" bike tire and try and keep from ruining the rim and the tube.

If you have an actual *20"* (507mm) rim, then that's a 24" wheel (not 20"), just so you know what you are looking for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_wheel#24_inch_/_ISO_507_mm
For those, I haven't tried anything other than bicycle tires, but as noted by someone else above, some people have fit certain vintage tire types on them.

But a 24" tire cannot fit on a 20" wheel (16" rim), it is far too large inside diameter. Usually the entire 20" wheel *and tire* will fit inside the 24" tire's bead. ;)

GypsyWolf_Rider said:
a 20 inch bicycle rim

If it's a 20 inch bicycle wheel, then the rim itself is 16", and will fit many 16" moped / scooter / etc tires as long as it is wide enough to fit teh whole bead (which is much thicker than bicycle tires) between the rim and the valve stem.

But there are two different sizes for 20" rims, 406 and 451mm. It's a big enough difference in size that the moped tire will fit one but not the other. (if it fits the bigger one it may blow off the smaller one). But the bigger ones are usually very narrow and unlikely to fit the moped tire anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_wheel#BMX_wheels

I'm using Shinko SR714 16" x 2.5" tires on my SB Cruiser's "20"" rear wheels, and it gives me something over 22" actual diameter.

As soon as I get the fender frames / etc around the wheel area rebuilt for more space, those will be changed to the 80/90 version of the same tire, which could make them almost 26" actual diameter, from what I've read around various places (but at least 24"), which will help with easier rolling over problematic road surfaces, and add more air volume for that too.

amberwolf said:
If it's a 20 inch bicycle wheel, then the rim itself is 16", and will fit many 16" moped / scooter / etc tires as long as it is wide enough to fit teh whole bead (which is much thicker than bicycle tires) between the rim and the valve stem.
Are there any tougher-wearing more puncture resistant tires that would fit either variant

but still have something approaching the "floating fattie" suspension effect?

I realize both opposing aspects would be compromised, which is exactly what I'm looking for, so long as I don't end up with worst of both worlds.

In sum:
near the same or a bit under the total OD of "normal 26" bike wheels

some level of fattie suspension effect, maybe even full 3-4" width?

high load bearing, more resistant to punctures & slower wearing than usual bike fatties

Are there any tougher-wearing more puncture resistant tires that would fit either variant

but still have something approaching the "floating fattie" suspension effect?

See my post above. They come in smaller sizes from other vendors, IIRC. Kevlar or nylon belts, rated for 30MPH sustained, but very balloon tire-like in cushioning, especially if you run them at the lower end of their inflation range.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009O0CNPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks good, but I was hoping fatter

anything at least over 3"?

Or is that just too weak or heavy?

Goat guy reminded me of unicycle rims in another thread

20” size (ISO - 406mm, ERD 375.5mm) can apparently handle a handle a 2.8” tire.

https://www.unicycle.com/nimbus-20-dominator2-flat-rim

Any wider y'all think?

Outside: 42mm
Inside: 32mm

_____
19" version, same width
Beadseat Diameter: 387mm ERD: 356.5mm

24", ERD: 482.5mm

Any suggestions for compatible tires to help me go fatter but stay strong

would be most welcome

Does anyone know where to find 24 inch rims wide enough to handle a 3 inch tire? The Dominator looks perfect but everyones out on this side of the atlantic.

rollingfieldz said:
Does anyone know where to find 24 inch rims wide enough to handle a 3 inch tire? The Dominator looks perfect but everyones out on this side of the atlantic.

https://www.remerx-rims.com/super-jumbo-rmx-8533-4

There are these @ 33mm/40mm

I think cyklonebike uses them on their ebikes you might be able to get them there

Anybody have any opinions or info about these? Just how terribly heavy are they? spoke holes size? will the chrome flake off? Can i spray paint them black?

https://www.treatland.tv/new-RADAELLI-ITALCEICHIO-chrome-deluxe-spoke-rim-p/italceichio-rim-1.35x19.htm

Back