20 inch full suspension twin 3220 build begins!

subscribed! can't wait to see how you plan to put your rc drive setup. will your new crank setup be used? I'm keeping an eye real close to this. I just got a new full suspension bike coming and I still have your v3 drive to put on it.

This build will most likely use a single ratio left side drive. I have a new motor I am working on that will be used on this bike.

The machinist making the new motor housing is working on the motor design right now. I was going to run a 4 turn 3220 I have sitting here, but it sold. So, I will most likely wait until the new motor is ready. No this is not the 4 inch motor. It is a phenominal motor design, however. I cannot say any more about it, right now however........

Matt

recumpence said:
This build will most likely use a single ratio left side drive. I have a new motor I am working on that will be used on this bike.

The machinist making the new motor housing is working on the motor design right now. I was going to run a 4 turn 3220 I have sitting here, but it sold. So, I will most likely wait until the new motor is ready. No this is not the 4 inch motor. It is a phenominal motor design, however. I cannot say any more about it, right now however........

Matt

"Hey guys, let me tell you this AMAZING STORY...it's going to blow your mind"

"oh actually sorry, If I told you, I'd have to kill you"

good luck with the build!

Thanks a lot Matt, now you have me scheming on my next build that I need :lol: Beauty certainly does inspire.

I think 1kw is a great starting point for the batteries, it keeps things light!

You should try some wheels built with DOT tires and rims sometime, at least for a different riding experience. Is your fork a standard QR20 style? I could probably have a set of 16's or 17's laced up to play with next time I come around your way.

can't wait to see it how you handle the chain slack with drive. I still have your sprocket adapter :). i was planning to do my new bike with freewheel cranks on the right side. I might have to wait how you build it out now.

Hey Guys!

Well, I am reviving this thread because this bike is sold! It is sold to a high-end client who wants it built up with two 3220s. This bike will be built as a wheelie prone 50mph monster! The buyer is a crazy, high-powered sportbike guy who wanted the ultimate in an overpowered, yet light weight, wheelie machine. So, after much deliberation, this bike was sold to him with a plan to pump some serious power into it. :twisted:

I must give thanks to the client. He was willing to give me a two month lead time on beginning this build while I moved (nearly completely built) my shop. This new shop has far greater fabrication capability. This should help with the overall quality of the build. Anyway, my thanks go to him for his patience in letting me move my shop before beginning the build. :D

The drive will be two 6 turn Delta 3220s with as much Lipo as I can fit in the frame. The Lipo will be flanked by large carbon fiber panels on each side. This will be somewhat of a Super-Motard bike. My guess is an overall weight of about 70 pounds or so with CRAZY power.

I will post pictures as I have them. Right now I am building the front wheel clamp to hold the bike upright on my assembly table. Once that is done, I will begin building the twin motored drive. I have a standard twin motor drive unit (the parts for it, anyway) in stock. But, I may redesign the motor plate for this bike. Call it a V3 twin motor drive. :mrgreen:

As I said, I will post pictures as I have them. I have individual drive unit orders to fill at the same time. But, at this point, those go very quickly as my new shop is FAAARR easier and faster to work in than my old shop. I am still moving stuff home from my old location too. So, it will go a bit slow at first, but you will have updates as I do work on the bike.

Any questions are welcome.

Oh, the buyer is a forum member, but has not posted yet. Maybe he will chime in sometime as the build gets underway.

Matt

Awesome Matt!

Subscribed!

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

My 6-turn 3210 equipped MENSTRUAL Cycle kept literally wheelieing out from under me until I learned how to use CAv3 & HV-160 programming to dampen the throttle way down. This was with 5:1 V4 Drive reduction -> 4:1 chain reduction and only 6S LiPo doing the work.

Granted that bike is heavily weighted in the rear, but I weight it some with an 8lb back pack mounted to the front handlebars.

I can't imagine what two 3220s would do on such a short wheelbase bike!

Looking forward to this build, Matt.

If my scaling is correct, the wheelbase is about 1200mm (3' 11")...?

The head angle is around 71 degrees, which seems fine for a street bike.

Thanks Miles. I will have to measure it and get back to you.

Yes, this should be a freakin BEAST when it is done! The customer specified 50mph with plenty on tap to power wheelie at taht speed. He is a high powered sportbike guy like Luke. So, I am not the least bit worried about his ability to ride it. Besides, he can adjust the torque limiter to reduce the HUGE hit this thing will have.......

Oh, I may have some decent comparison to make with another bike. I have a 4 turn 3220 (fan cooled) that I am intstalling on my Cannondale Hooligan. I will be able to see the difference in behaviour between the two bikes. Mine may not be done for quite some time, however, because this customer has a huge amount of stuff ordered from me. I have almost zero time to do my own projects for some time. But, any available evenings and weekends I will put an hour here and there into it. What I hope to do is gear my bike at 40mph. This, with one 3220, should make it very lively, but not freakish. The X6 geared for upwards of 60mph whould still be a fire-breathing monster!

Matt

OK, I have the frame on the bench and building has resumed!

The cranks clear the drive on both sides (but it is close). It looks like this frame was designed for this.

I have designed a new twin motor drive for this client that uses one long serpentine toothed belt instead of tying the two motors together with a second belt at the output shafts at the rear of the motors. This twin motor system will be the new twin motored drive I will put into production.

I have the electric side idler to swingarm mount bracket machined and installed. Next is the idler itself.

I hope to have the new twin motor drive parts machined over the next month while I get the chainline sorted and begin the battery system.

Matt

Yes.....

Sorry for the delay. I decided to completely redesign the twin motor drive for this client. He has 3 separate builds ordered from me requiring two motors each. So, I am going all the way with a completely new twin motor system as a twin motor drive "Version 2".

Also, I have been inundated with DaVinci drive orders. I have been busy building those while I wait for outsourced machining for the twin motor drive.

I was planning on ordering all the batteries and what-not for this bike while I waited. However, I want the new twin motor drive in stock before I begin the battery enclosure to make sure everything clears.

Matt

Here are a couple pictures of the new twin motor drive on my client's X6 build.

I still have a ton of work to do on the bike. But, it is advancing right along. I have most of the machining done.

Matt

Attachments

• x61.jpg
    x61.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 2,974
  • x62.jpg
    x62.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2,974
I have the batteries, carbon fiber panels for the enclosure, all aluminum hardware for mounting, and I have machined the chain tensioner idlers.

I will post pictures as I have progress that is visible. This bike has taken up alot of my time in the design stage. :)

Matt

whew! looks fast for sure! What kind of speed can a setup like this do consistently?

The gearing will be set for 65mph top speed. The customer only weighs 135 pounds and has a turbo charged Hyabusa. I think his light weight and familiarity with high power will make this a perfect bike for him. His specific request was for 60+mph with insane wheelie capability. He already has this exact drive system geared for 60mph on a KMX trike. So, he knows what he is in for. On his trike with this drive, he has already broken a chain (BMX chain on the left side of the rear wheel) and, after getting a heavy duty chain, he broke the sprocket. So, now he is running a stainless sprocket. :mrgreen:

Matt

Wow!

Look into 219 o-ring kart chain for the final drive. I will never use anything else....except for a belt that is. The kart chain is awesome and just doesn't wear out in our applications. Asuza sells blank sprockets pretty cheap but I'd have to look to figure out where I found the steel driver sprockets. You don't want a chain or sprocket breaking going 65mph! Beautiful build BTW! :twisted:

Back